Author Topic: Simple Headlamp Question  (Read 3197 times)

JordanMix

• Bulleteer
on: June 20, 2008, 12:59:33 pm
I should probably already know the answer to this but I don’t, so here I am.

I recently replaced my standard 5” headlamp with a 7” Lucas non sealed set up. I can not tell the difference between high and low beam; both seem to be very close in brightness. When you turn on your high beam should both filaments be illuminated? If so then I am having a problem with switching over from my old set up to my new one. Right now when I have my low beam on the lower of the two filaments lights up, on the high beam the top firmament is on but they never both turn on at the same time. I would have just checked my old set up to compare but I ended up blowing the bulb testing the output of my alternator.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

deejay

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 01:02:07 pm
I should probably already know the answer to this but I don’t, so here I am.

I recently replaced my standard 5” headlamp with a 7” Lucas non sealed set up. I can not tell the difference between high and low beam; both seem to be very close in brightness. When you turn on your high beam should both filaments be illuminated? If so then I am having a problem with switching over from my old set up to my new one. Right now when I have my low beam on the lower of the two filaments lights up, on the high beam the top firmament is on but they never both turn on at the same time. I would have just checked my old set up to compare but I ended up blowing the bulb testing the output of my alternator.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this helps you at all, but I upgraded to a 7" sealed beam. My high beam is just that, higher... I see no real difference in brightness at all, it just seems to move the light up.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 01:31:25 pm
I think that the difference between high and low beam is something around 5-10 watts. I pretty sure that both filaments don't come on at the same time. There is an overlap between high and low as in "make before break" circuitry. The one exception may be when you use your flasher then both filaments would probably be on.

geoffbaker

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 05:36:18 pm
Well, I can't tell on my bike as it is all in parts right now :(

But I would suspect that both filaments would be on for the high beam, because its not merely a brighter beam, it covers a different angle of the road ahead of you and you still need the low beam filament to light up the area closer to you and lower down.

Perhaps someone can confirm this with a simple check?

JordanMix

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 07:58:43 pm
if anyone could check it would be much apreciated. If not i will be ridding me with my friend who has a 65 Triumph next week, im pretty sure he has the same headlamp... i will check his.

mike704

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 11:49:58 am
One filament for high beam and one for  low beam. the stock bulb is a 35watt low and a 55 watt high so the difference is noticeable. with an upgraded light you probably are using a 55 watt low and a 60 watt high, so the difference will be more in location than light output.
2007 Military (My only vehicle)

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 02:17:44 pm
According to the wiring diagram they are seperate circuits.

Ed
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 04:38:15 pm
Anyone else noticed that unless (even when you are!) quick with the headbeam/dipswitch changeover there is a period of sidelight only? Only a short duration of 'sidelight' only I know, but quite disconcerting nonetheless!!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

JordanMix

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 06:46:22 pm
mike,

thank you for the information... glad to know that i dont have another problem i need to sort out and that my new headlamp is working as designed.