Author Topic: no model designation for the 2008 ES?  (Read 5244 times)

Jharrison58

• Scooter
on: October 10, 2013, 06:55:04 pm
New to the bike which I have absolutely fallen in love with. It sat for 4 years with less then 500 miles on it before I picked it up. Already had to replace a starter selenoid, (my fault over exhuberance)  drained about 1 gallon of rotted ethonal gas and four sets of sparks later I think I've got her running pretty smooth. My question is about assessories and add ons, and one about "false Neutral" tendancy. When I get on the Nfield gear page, the ES is never listed, it's all G5's C5's etc. Is the 2008 bullet 500 ES similar to the classic models? I would like to ride to work and need some saddle bags.
 As for false neutral, it will find one between third and forth on occassion, Is it a major tear down?  thanks for any help.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:28:28 pm
The 2008 Bullet 500 ES is a discontinued model of the "Iron Barrel" type. NField Gear might be calling them "Legacy" models. It has the original style engine that has its roots in the 1950s original Bullets.

Since it is not a current model, it is not listed.C5, B5, G5 are current or recent models of the UCE engine type.

False neutrals are not unusual on the 5 speed gearbox, but with some practice at holding the pedal into gear until the clutch is let out, you can usually avoid it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Jharrison58

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:49:22 pm
Thanks for the info! I had done a VIN search etc, poured over the manuals and was still coming up empty. I wish I had found this forum earlier, great info. I've been reading a pile of postings and can see you are one of the go to folks here. Thanks again,
So how much valve clatter is normal?  :)  This machine is a 40 year dream come true.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:12:46 pm
Thanks for the info! I had done a VIN search etc, poured over the manuals and was still coming up empty. I wish I had found this forum earlier, great info. I've been reading a pile of postings and can see you are one of the go to folks here. Thanks again,
So how much valve clatter is normal?  :)  This machine is a 40 year dream come true.

There should always be some valve clatter, and it is typically the least when it's cold and no lash is present. As the engine heats up, the valve lash grows to about .010"-.012", and the oil thins out, and the clatter increases.
No worries. It's supposed to be like that.
It's only a worry if it ever gets quiet. That's when something is wrong.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 09:39:50 pm
There should always be some valve clatter, and it is typically the least when it's cold and no lash is present. As the engine heats up, the valve lash grows to about .010"-.012", and the oil thins out, and the clatter increases.
No worries. It's supposed to be like that.
It's only a worry if it ever gets quiet. That's when something is wrong.

What you have is an '08 AVL (Lean Burn). You should be on the AVL Forum (right below this one on the menu) with the rest of us AVL loonies    :)

Go through the forum (or the Photo Gallery) & you'll find pictures of bikes like yours.

If it's a solid color with front drum brake the designation is AVL Classic.

If it's a combo of paint & chrome on the tank & fenders it's an AVL Deluxe.

If it has a front DISC brake it's an AVL Electra.

All the ES means is electric start. It's not a model designation. Avoid it. Learn to kick start it. The electric start & the sprag clutch are the weak point of the bike.

I have an '08 Classic & love it to death & I'm a lifelong harley rider (75).   

There are false neutrals between each gear. Once you get used to shifting it, the false neutrals will be a thing of the past. The tranny wants to be consciously put in gear with the lever, not
flicked. You should feel the click through your toes as the gears mesh. The magic click, I calls it.

See you over on the AVL Forum.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:11:04 pm
With less than 500 miles on it, it is still in the process of being broken in.

As the miles accumulate things will free up and shifting will improve but as was said, the Royal Enfield always has some peculiarities that go along with old designs. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 11:02:47 pm
The gear box is not due for a major teardown. You just need a major retraining of the toe! The linkage in the gearbox, caused changing from a right hand shift to left hand is a bit wonky. It takes awhile to get used to it because every gear has its own feel. Enfields are interesting machines, you have to break it in, as it breaks you in. The nice part is that it just gets more fun the more time you spend on it! The hassles go away.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 11:12:02 pm
         What you have is an '08 AVL (Lean Burn). You should be on the AVL Forum (right below this one on the menu) with the rest of us AVL loonies    :)

Go through the forum (or the Photo Gallery) & you'll find pictures of bikes like yours.

If it's a solid color with front drum brake the designation is AVL Classic.

If it's a combo of paint & chrome on the tank & fenders it's an AVL Deluxe.

If it has a front DISC brake it's an AVL Electra.

All the ES means is electric start. It's not a model designation. Avoid it. Learn to kick start it. The electric start & the sprag clutch are the weak point of the bike.

I have an '08 Classic & love it to death & I'm a lifelong harley rider (75).   

There are false neutrals between each gear. Once you get used to shifting it, the false neutrals will be a thing of the past. The tranny wants to be consciously put in gear with the lever, not
flicked. You should feel the click through your toes as the gears mesh. The magic click, I calls it.

See you over on the AVL Forum.

It could be AVL,  but there were iron barrel models still in 2008 that were called Bullet 500 ES. To my knowledge there was never an AVL with that name.
How did you come to the seemingly certain conclusion that it is an AVL?

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 12:13:59 am
Your right Ace the one I just chopped and turned into a 612 was a 2008 iron one.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 11:04:53 am
I have a 2008 iron barrel 500 built in November ( if I read the vin tag rite) with a red&chrome tank .it is a bullet 500 ES DeLuxe
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

Michael Marsceill

• Scooter
  • 2009 AVL Deluxe
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 02:53:42 pm
Ace is correct. there were both Iron barrels and AVLs in 2008 as there were both AVLs and UCEs in 2009. The shape of the top end of the engine will identify the bike. The Nfield gear catalog has a great photo page that helps in this process. If the rocker covers are straight acroos the top it's an iron barrel, if they slant down toward the outside it's an AVL.

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 03:37:32 pm
I have a 2008 iron barrel 500 built in November ( if I read the vin tag rite) with a red&chrome tank .it is a bullet 500 ES DeLuxe

I have a 2008 Iron Barrel 500 Classic ES - Black with gold pinstriping.  ES quit working about 3 days after I bought it.  I should go take a look at my serial number.
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 05:18:34 pm
It could be AVL,  but there were iron barrel models still in 2008 that were called Bullet 500 ES. To my knowledge there was never an AVL with that name.

Jeez, I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

I keep forgetting there were Iron Barrels in '08.

I only said what I said because I have a 500 ES. I have a 2008 AVL 500 ES Classic. Solid color, front drum brake.

The Bullet 500 ES factory decals are on both side cases & the Bullet E is on the rear fender. You can see them on some of the many pictures I've posted.

The original CMW Title said the same thing & all the factory assembly stickers are still all over the bike.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions & pissing off all you Iron Barrel owners. I'll be more careful next time.

PS: I wish I HAD an Iron Barrel, but am also glad that I found the AVL first rather than a UCE  ;)  :)   My '08 will have its first 1,000 miles on it soon.

There. Now I've aggravated all the UCE riders, too   ;D 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 05:25:53 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 05:41:07 pm

Just to verify, this is my 2008 Bullet 500 ES AVL Classic. Bought it as a brand new, never sold, left over in December 2010.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 06:54:38 pm
            Just to verify, this is my 2008 Bullet 500 ES AVL Classic. Bought it as a brand new, never sold, left over in December 2010.
Sorry if my comments sounded pointed.
I did allow possibility for it to be an AVL.

In US model history, the Iron Barrels were originally KS bikes, and ES was added as an option sometime in 2001, and became standard in late 2004. Hence, the ES designation.
All AVL models in the US were ES.

That sticker on the side of your bike is the same sticker that was used for years on Iron Barrel bikes to denote the KS from the ES on the toolboxes.

It's not a big deal. I just noticed that you seemed to be very certain it was an AVL bike, and from what I read in the OP's post, I couldn't say for sure one way or the other. I was wondering what made you so sure about it.