Author Topic: 2014 C5 Exhaust  (Read 2401 times)

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
on: October 10, 2013, 02:47:29 pm
I went to my local dealer last night to take a look at the new stock he has in and make sure he's not going out of business anytime soon, and I was immediately attracted by a silver 2014 C5 with the amazing striping.  It was a beautiful bike, but alas, when I walked to the opposite side where I had anticipated a nicely done upswept exhaust like the one pictured on this website the standard bazooka silencer was instead.  Does anyone know what the deal is?  Did my dealer get a bum piece, are they not offering the upswept exhaust, is it an aftermarket item (couldn't find it but you never know).  Has anyone else seen a 2014 in the flesh yet?  I'm saddened if the new exhaust isn't available in the States.
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 02:55:29 pm
AFAIK, the bazooka is standard on all models except the new Continental 535.
The upswept silencer is an aftermarket product which seems to be a popular item.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 03:49:56 pm
If it is standard, then why are the new C5s pictured with an upswept?
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 04:01:12 pm
They use the indian/worldwide models for all of their pictures. This saves them money and works for the vast majority of their markets. Exports right now are only about 5% of the motorcycles they make and of that the U.S. is only a part.

However they are increasing production and the quality is improving and soon they will be a considerable player (in a niche) of the mid size motorcycle market.

For the United States they have strict emissions to contend with and they make the motorcycle to meet all us standards. For California they have to add a canister to the motorcycle, but otherwise the U.S. models are for sale in all states except California. The "Bazooka" is due to it having a large three stage catalytic converter inside.

Lots of people don't like the standard US exhaust system. I  don't hate it but I am not a huge fan. I suspect my christmas gift to myself will be to get a D&D Exhaust system for my 2011 G5 Standard. The question then is do I want Chrome or Black.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 04:25:35 pm
I noticed the C5 in the brochure I had looked way cooler than the one in the floor.  Upswept exhaust, 7" headlight, and no mirrors.  All these things made it look amazing.  There was a tiny note stating that some accessory parts were used. 

Scott

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:39:36 pm
As noted many threads before; US Emissions requirements call for the bazooka and DOT Safety Standards call for an adjustable headlight (which happens to be smaller due to the adjusters in the adapter ring).
It's not RE's fault we have Government regulations and we're lucky that RE bothers to export to the US at all.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 12:13:57 am
Here's the Good News. Depending on where you live, if there are no Emissions Tests required you can replace the stock exhaust with pretty much any thing you like.
  I doubt any authority would pay attention to the complete 7" headlight treatment if you wanted to do it. Local authorities here have admired my modified 2010 G5 Deluxe.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 12:59:14 am
In addition to the emissions issues, when I asked my dealer about the upswept exhaust he said they are prone to rust issues and didn't recommend it.  I went with the EFI silencer instead.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 01:11:01 am
Exhaust style is anyone's personal preference. I have a 2014 and prefer the straight exhaust. For those that like the upswept, hopefully those will be available soon.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 02:39:16 am
In addition to the emissions issues, when I asked my dealer about the upswept exhaust he said they are prone to rust issues and didn't recommend it.  I went with the EFI silencer instead.

A small drain hole at the base of the up sweep helps with that....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 02:51:17 am
 The upswept pipe sure does look good! And I guess it could be handy if it rains a lot! :)
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.