Author Topic: Clutch/cable adjustment  (Read 1267 times)

El Rojo

• Scooter
on: October 18, 2013, 11:05:28 pm
Okay, I really need a little help here.  I have a 2008 classic iron bullet.  Recently, my clutch cable snapped at the ball end in the gearbox.  This is the second cable I've replaced in 3 years.  After installing I noticed the clutch is not fully disengaging, by that, I mean the wheel spins pretty aggressively when I have the bike on the center stand and shift into first gear and pull the clutch lever all the way in.  I did not have this problem on my last cable change.  I'm used to the wheel spinning slightly when in neutral I the center stand but this is much stronger and faster than that.  Am I missing something or just over thinking?  My second question is are there better cables that don't have the stiffness at the ball end problem?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:52:32 pm
 Clutch drag, could be caused by a few different things:
1)Cold weather raises viscosity of gear oil/grease, causes mainshaft to stick to the output shaft,
2)Clutch cable bowden tube not adjusted to take out the slack, need to adjust it.
3)Clutch rod adjustment screw under the small cover on the gearbox is too loose, need to loosen the adjuster locknut, screw the adjuster a few turns clockwise until the cable slack removed.
4) Cold weather cause lube in the primary case to be more viscous, causes the clutch plates to stick together. Needs warmer weather or lighter oil.

El Rojo

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:35:25 am
I'm afraid to adjust the cable any further (it's been adjusted at both ends) it's tighter than a banjo string!  This cable seemed a tad bit shorter than the last new cable I put on.  So am I safe in assuming that the rear wheel should stay still with the clutch lever pulled and the bike in gear on the center stand?

El Rojo

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 12:38:36 am
Oh, and I don't think cold weather is an issue, I live in Southern California.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 12:43:50 am
How does it work off the stand while riding?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

El Rojo

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 12:56:57 am
Haven't ridden it yet after the cable change.  I'm afraid the cable will snap because it's so damn tight.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 01:07:46 am
Yeah Well, adjust it correctly and actually try to ride. I dont think its too uncommon to have the wheel freewheel like that, due to clutch drag. It will even do it in neutral, and thats just oil drag. When it's on the stand freewheeling in gear with the clutch in does the brake stop it?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:14:38 am by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

El Rojo

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 01:51:35 am
Yes, the brake stops it but only as long as it is applied.  I think you're right, I'll just set it up and ride it.  I'm probably overthinking this one.