Author Topic: Winter Riding  (Read 1495 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 09, 2013, 04:34:20 pm
Gentlemen,

I need your recommendation on the following:

1. Winter riding pants. Its about 50-55 degrees during the morning commute. I bought a Corazzo Tempteste riding jacket over the summer. With a liner it is just fine for this temperature. http://www.corazzo.net/product/mens-tempeste/
But, the denims just dont cut it. I need some sort of insulation (not from rain, but the cold air).

2. How can I prevent fog from building inside the faceshield and on the prescription glasses? I have been riding the 3/4 face because of the fogging issue but its too cold and I would rather have the full face protection but it fogs too much inside the full face helmet (even with the vents open) in slow moving traffic.

Thanks much.

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 04:48:04 pm
Gentlemen,

I need your recommendation on the following:

1. Winter riding pants. Its about 50-55 degrees during the morning commute. I bought a Corazzo Tempteste riding jacket over the summer. With a liner it is just fine for this temperature. http://www.corazzo.net/product/mens-tempeste/
But, the denims just dont cut it. I need some sort of insulation (not from rain, but the cold air).

2. How can I prevent fog from building inside the faceshield and on the prescription glasses? I have been riding the 3/4 face because of the fogging issue but its too cold and I would rather have the full face protection but it fogs too much inside the full face helmet (even with the vents open) in slow moving traffic.

Thanks much.

I live at 9,200' and commute down to 5,500' each day.  Already mornings are in the high 30's to low 40's.  I am about to transition to adding my long johns underneath my leather jeans.  This is usually warm enough for me all winter long. 

I always use a Gerbings heated jacket underneath my riding jacket in the winter.  I also have the heated Gerbings gloves, but normally do not switch those on until it is below freezing as they are quite warm by themselves.

I've been riding since 1984 and I've never found any anti-fog device or chemical that works as well as the pinlock shields that some helmets now use.  The only time I've still had this system fog up on me is when the temps get down around zero Fahrenheit.

I don't wear glasses any longer, so don't have an issue there, but back in the day I found that if I took them off when I left the house and put the back on as I was ready to ride away that the humidity coming off my face didn't have a chance to fog them up before I started moving and got a little air flowing by cracking open the visor a bit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

DAn K.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:54:55 pm
There are several fog prevention products available out there. Your local motorcycle or bicycle shops possibly carry them. Make sure they are OK for plastic. There are some automotive ones that aren't.
A little dishwashing liquid soap works and as a last, but pretty good defogger, spit works OK.
As for keeping the legs warm, a good pair of long johns are hard to beat!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:09:45 pm
I've also done long-underwear and jeans on 40 degree days and sometimes even at that temp they were too warm. 

What kind of helmet do you wear?  Several companies make winter breath-guards.  It basically velcros or buttons into your helmet and sits over your nose/mouth like a fighter pilot's mask.  Like this one for HJC helmets: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/9/44/556/47550/ITEM/HJC-FS-15-Carbon-Air-Snarl-Helmet-Breath-Guard.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 09:31:11 pm
Long Johns it is then.

Boggy: Come to think of it when I received my Shoei Qwest a 'thing' just like the breath guard was indeed in the packing. I just could not figure out what it was. Will look in my parts closet if its still there. Thanks much.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:49:44 pm
Thump-

I wear a Shoei Qwest - the guard that it comes with covers the bottom of the helmet opening, ostensibly keeping air from entering.  It does not go between your nose/mouth and the shield.

I ride in the cold - insulating layers help, but for me the wind will easily remove any heat retained by jeans and long-johns.  If you need to, add a wind-proof layer...

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 12:33:33 am
I only seem to have fogging problems when I first start out or stop for long periods at some really long lights.  I just crack the shield a quarter inch and pop it back down when I take off.  I've tried various anti-fogs and the cheap cloths from the eyeglass store work as well as anything.  None work for more than a few days.  So soap, spit, shaving cream, try them all then use what floats your boat.
Dennis
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

windhorserider

• Rider of The Windhorse.
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather be in New Orleans.
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 12:53:12 am
I wear the long-johns, particularly on a long ride.
I remember riding across south Louisiana, from Houston to New Orleans (yes, I know it's in the south, but...), and got caught in a light freezing drizzle. I was wearing gloves, but my hands and arms froze anyway and I was unable to stop where I intended to just to warm-up. Had to work at it, just getting the fingers to flex to make the exit after. Scared the some of the youth out of me. Not much around in those day, but I did find Hippohands. Ugly as ever, but I could stop when I wanted to. Now it's arthritis, but glove-warmers work for me.
I do set my glasses out in the cold, while the bike warms up, and then put them on. It seems to help.
2013 Bullet B5
2007 Ruckus
Past Rides:
CL360, CB750K, CX500C, XS1100, KE100, HD Panhead, Goldwing

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 01:29:03 am
More on my Qwest anti-fog quest…  ::)

I read a lot of good things about Salclear - created and used in the Isle of Mann.  I ordered some TT anti-fog from them, but it simply wouldn't work - it dried into a haze I couldn't see through.  Dave Salter, the guy in charge, really tried to help me with the problem, but in the end we couldn't get it to work on my visor.  He sent me, free of charge, a couple bottles of his "better" formula, Vision+.  Initially, it worked very well, but a year later, the liquid seems to have lost its potency, and the other day in a cool rain, it really didn't work at all, just a few minutes after applying.

Some local old-timers who have raced forever swear by the "Foggy" breath guard by Respro - it's a mask that blocks your breath from reaching the visor.  I bought one of them, too, but I have never gotten it to fit my helmet and my face well enough to make a good seal.  It attaches with velcro to the soft helmet lining, and every time I tried to remove and reposition the mask, the mask's velcro loops shredded the liner more and more.  And, if you get an itch on your nose, you're screwed!  I finally gave up on it.  So, after a year of riding, I still don't have a satisfactory anti-fog solution.

I love the comfort of my helmet, especially after trying on some other brands and styles, but between the quick-fog visor and the ungodly wind noise when my windscreen is mounted, it's a tradeoff.  Pinlock visors are available for it, but between the visor and the shield, it's very expensive!  Always looking for the cheap alternative, I guess...

*Edit - in fairness, I applied the Vision+ this morning to ride in 39 degrees F - it worked just fine.  I don't know what happened on the rainy day, but I couldn't even see safely.  Today was fine.  I guess it has to be applied regularly - like every day? 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:31:09 am by mattsz »