Author Topic: 2012 Bullet B5 Seat Question  (Read 3823 times)

markrider500

• Neophyte
on: October 07, 2013, 09:20:10 pm
Hi,
Just purchased a 2012 Royal Enfield Bullet B5.   Does anyone know if the Solo Saddle from an C5 will fit on the B5?    Thanks for any info.
Markrider500

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:44:13 pm
It's not a direct bolt on. The mounts are different

Markku

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 09:53:55 am
Hi
It can be done by turning the front piece 180 degrees, some metal work, making new brackets for rear fixings etc.I made it but was not satisfied with the result. The sitting position is higher and the seat is flat so the feeling is as to drive on a bar stool. Maby i'll try next solo seat without springs to get lower sitting position.
Regards Markku

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 03:14:03 am
I fitted a Lycett style seat to my g5 and got it to sit low by drilling a hole across the forward bracket  for the seat pivot . Brackets to fix the springs to are available - I got some from the Aussie importer. They mount between the top shocker bolt and the seat/ mudgard frame forward bolts . The seat worked well, and was really comfy but I wound up takin it off so I could carry my daughter as pillion. On the g5 this seat also leaves the electronics fairly exposed so thatc needs to be addressed. Cheers D.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 03:17:38 am
Lycett style seat with brackets.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 03:20:44 am
The continent seems to have shifted again , damn it!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 05:43:37 am
That picture wasn't taken in Northern Brazil was it?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 07:55:08 am
Hi,

there is mention in this thread of B5's and G5's.  I think the frame around the seat mounts is slightly different in each case, and different again from the C5.  My account is of fitting a single seat to my G5 ('Electra' in the UK).

The front seat of my bike is the "Lycette" style one from Hitchcocks (part no. 91420), and it is really comfy.  I don't think I sit too high on it, but it does feel significantly different from the original bench seat.

If you just replace the bench seat with a single one, then the electric gubbins are exposed to the elements. There is cover available from Hitchcocks (part no. 93086), which is has some louvres in the top (I guess to allow heat or fumes to escape from the battery, and is the right shape to sit between the frame tubes as they taper toward the petrol tank. The covers come in polypropylene  or metal, and are secured with a couple of ziplock cable ties.  I don't think you *have* to fit the cover when you ditch the bench seat, as the Hitchcocks catalogue doesn't seem to indicate that. However, things look much tidier with it fitted.

The rear solo sit sits higher than the front on the electra. This is because the available solo pillion seat has to sit on a small rack - and doesn't fit directly to the frame.  Having said that, the rack looks pretty cool on its own, so at some point I might just remove the solo pillion seat and store it away for a while.

The one problem I hit was with the seat mounting brackets that run from the 'outboard' side of the rear mudguard carrier studs to the 'inboard' top of the rear shock mounts. There is very little thread showing on the 'outboard' end of mudguard carrier studs, and the nuts on the 'outboard' end are only half thickness (not many threads anyway). Once you offer up the bracket that supports the seat spring on each side, there isn't enough thread left to securely re-fit the narrow nuts.  Luckily, there is sufficient spare length on the 'inboard' side of these studs to loosen off the 'inboard' retaining nuts and shift things outwards 4mm or so, to get the seat brackets securely fitted. Note that the studs were a *very* tight interference fit in the frame itself, and it took a while to ease them outwards the necessary distance.

Longer top shock mount bolts are provided with the seat to accommodate the thickness of the seat mounts, so these replaced the originals.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:05:45 am by Blairio »