Author Topic: Headlamp orange wire  (Read 4443 times)

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
on: November 16, 2013, 08:53:02 pm
I need some help figuring out where my orange wire coming from the headlamp is supposed to go. I can't see any obvious mate that it got separated from. There is a grey wire that leads to nowhere with a connector.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:56:28 pm by NJ Riff Raff »
2008 Royal Enfield Military Iron Barrel

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 02:26:07 pm
I need some help figuring out where my orange wire coming from the headlamp is supposed to go. I can't see any obvious mate that it got separated from. There is a grey wire that leads to nowhere with a connector.

I pulled the schematic for my '08 & it shows no orange wire to the headlight so the military must be different.

What are the other two colors that come out of the connector that plugs onto the headlight?

I was into the wiring on my '08 in detail because of an extreme troubleshooting session when I first got it & without pulling my headlight off the only hint I can think to give you now is that that orange wire you're holding should go to a Two Wire white plastic connector that also has an orange wire coming out of one side of it.

The other color on that two wire connector (you need to find) is probably the color of the OTHER wire that comes out of the headlight socket although I'm just guessing here & I hope I don't make it worse. That's my fear
because I'm not actually there + these bikes can be different from month to month in the same year.

Then your next problem is reconnecting that orange wire inside the connector. That can be very tricky. You've got to find the tiny trigger that releases the connector from the socket inside the plastic housing.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 06:12:42 pm
The orange is the common wire for the ac lighting circuit. The amber (orange) wire starts at the alternator and continues to the ac regulator then to the headlight.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 07:50:14 pm
@ tooseevee, the headlamp has a green, blue and orange wire coming off it. The green and the blue both go into a one harness.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 07:55:31 pm
The green and blue are your high beam and low beam which go to your light dip switch. The orange wire as I stated before is your common ac wire. The light switch on your bike is fed by the yellow/red wire from your ac regulator.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:59:40 pm
The orange is the common wire for the ac lighting circuit. The amber (orange) wire starts at the alternator and continues to the ac regulator then to the headlight.

See, I knew I should have stayed out of this. Insufficient information & I went to my schematic looking for orange & of course, it's amber on the schematic.

Sorry, Riff Raff (cool handle). I mislead you & I hate it when that happens  :-[   

PS: In your pictures the end of the amber wire looks "chewed up". There must be an amber wire in there somewhere with a matching chewed up end?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 10:24:07 pm
Is that the wire for the little parking light that goes in the headlight on some headlight assys, My G5 had the spare wire, but it was a different color. Check the wire and see if it's getting power with the light switch in the parking light position.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 10:26:38 pm
IMO, if everything is working as it should, the best idea is to tape up the end of the unknown wire so it can't possibly ground out and forget about it. :)

If something isn't working like it should then tracking down the wires home would be the next problem.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 01:13:44 pm
Thanks so much everyone. With a little digging I found it. Blltrdr you were right. It was the orange/amber wire coming from the regulator. It was just hard to see because it was wrapped in black tape and broken just as it emerges from the housing of wires making their way to the front under the gas tank. Not sure how that wire got like that.

Now I have to replace my sealed headlamp bulb as I can see the elements have broken. I can order the Wagner h4467 replacement on amazon but has anyone a suggestion on a better replacement?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 03:31:50 pm
Thanks so much everyone. With a little digging I found it. Blltrdr you were right. It was the orange/amber wire coming from the regulator. It was just hard to see because it was wrapped in black tape and broken just as it emerges from the housing of wires making their way to the front under the gas tank. Not sure how that wire got like that.

Now I have to replace my sealed headlamp bulb as I can see the elements have broken. I can order the Wagner h4467 replacement on amazon but has anyone a suggestion on a better replacement?

Glad you found it. I had a feeling you would because from the pictures it was obvious that there had to a matching end to that broken amber wire "somewhere" in there.

You can pick that headlight bulb up at any good auto parts store. It's a very common item.

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 03:46:10 pm
I'm really glad I found it too! My bike has been nothing but trouble since I got it new. I truly got one that was made on a Friday. Just finished rebuilding the top end, replaced missing cir clip behind the timing gears and now this will be sorted. Next up straightening out the back fender on the frame, the wobble in the back wheel, all the broken springs in the solo seat that keep breaking. Patience is the key!

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 04:46:42 pm
Glad you found the wire and got it fixed Riff Raff (one of my favorite AC/DC songs).

If you have the stock sealed beam light you might upgrade to a 7" kit. You loose the adjustability of the light but I have found no issues not having any. I also added a headlight visor which I think stretches the bike just a bit so it appears a bit longer.

Just keep working through the problems. Maybe it was built at 3pm one Friday afternoon, but the upside is you are the original owner.

Real problems occur when you purchase a used Bullet from a farmer and when you get it home and start shining it up and doing some maintenance you find out the farmer had possibly jumped the bike off a cliff in the back 40. Let's just say that this has led to a very long and intimate relationship that cost some mucho dinero. My wife calls my Bullet my girlfriend, I call it my second wife or whore for short. This is what happens when you stare longingly at an RE ad in Walneck's that depicts this cool looking retro motorcycle called a Bullet that can be delivered to your door with the vintage package (solo tan seat, beehive tail light and pedestrian slicer) and all for the great price that you can't afford. Two or three pages later, voila, a used one that looks just like the ad two or three pages previous. Chalk it all up to the power of advertizing. My life will never be the same.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd