Author Topic: fire and melted carb overflow tubes  (Read 4316 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 01:21:45 am
Thanks Ace.
Mikuni 32mm flat slide it is. As far as the exhaust goes...the bike came with an unrestricted shorty, but that was way too loud for my liking so I went back with the stock exhaust. Which would you recommend for performance, but not too loud? Is there a semi-restricted?

I think a good compromise is to use the shorty muffler, and buy the short removable baffle that you can bolt into the tailpipe. You might need to drill a small hole for the bolt, on the tailpipe where it won't show. This baffle is only a few dollars, and it quiets the noise down some, and doesn't make too much restriction. It's still fairly loud, but not AS loud as without it. None of my neighbors ever complained about it.

I think Nfield Gear might stock them, and if they don't, then Hitchcock's will have them.

The stock exhaust muffler is the absolute worst. VERY restrictive, and weighs a ton.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 01:44:01 am
Great advice. Thanks for all the help Ace. I'm sure the 32mm with the shorty will make a huge difference from where it is now. 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 02:12:00 am
Do like Ace said and buy a removable baffle for your shorty.  If it's still too loud, you can always wrap the baffle with fiberglass mesh or muffler packing.  That will quiet it down quite a bit.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 02:13:39 am
Great advice. Thanks for all the help Ace. I'm sure the 32mm with the shorty will make a huge difference from where it is now.

About 4 horsepower. That's 25% increase over stock.
Home of the Fireball 535 !