Author Topic: RE's the Vintage Festival at Barber - WOW  (Read 1474 times)

Bumboo

• Scooter
on: October 15, 2013, 12:19:38 pm
Rode to Barber Vintage Festival from Norfolk (on the Beemer).  What a Museum!  If you haven't been, make it happen.  I found this CafĂ© RE on display in the over 800 bikes on display in the museum. It's the real deal.  There was in Interceptor on display also.   One of docents told me there are more in reserve and a dozen RE's + or - were sighted riding about on the grounds...including a running 1937 of some variety.  It will be a  while before I recover from my overdose of vintage mc's.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:37:30 pm
Is that in Norfolk Virginia or Norfolk South Carolina?

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:20:53 am
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 01:42:55 am
I saw two Continental GTs at the museum--one in the "christmas tree" and one on the floor.

There was also a plain ol' Bullet in the cells lining the elevator.

If you haven't seen the Barber museum, it's...insanely cool.  Everyone should make a pilgrimage.  The bike and car collection is beyond words and with some of the machines there, it's sometimes as much a sculpture museum as it is a vehicle museum.

The motorsports festival was a truly great event.

I will get some pics up in the coming week if I can.

Bumboo

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 01:38:27 pm
For mrunderhill1975a, that's Norfolk, Virginia....well actually Portsmouth just across the river from Norfolk.  It was 861 miles one way to Leeds, AL by way of the interstates which we rode back directly.  On the way down we rode the Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee.  With the gummint shutdown there was ZERO speed enforcement along the way so we let it rip.  Never before have I ridden the Parkway like a grand prix!  Somewhere about Ashville I passed a late model Bullet going north but by the time I'd landed, taxied, and turned around on the BMW K1200LT (you don't park it, you "land" it) he was off a side road and gone; though I could hear him thumping down a country road for some time.  Yeah, if the Barber Museum isn't on you bucket list add it.  One of races at Barber was dubbed, "The Sound of Singles."  Oh boy, heart stopping stuff!  My favorite start of the day!  I'll have some time on the Bullet this weekend but sailing the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner race for the next three days. 

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 03:01:11 pm
I was there too with my Bullet over at a campsite overlooking the motocross track. The grounds were often compared to a golf course. Manicured and clean, trams running all day stopping at points of interest to save endless walking, port-a-potties, showers, etc. It is a must attend next year as it will be the 10th annual. Also saw the new Continental GT's and talked to Kevin and his wife. Great racing, viewing, atmosphere, socializing, and even a great ride down Hwy 25 southbound out of Leeds (a must ride) I believe it's the best vintage event in the states. World class. ;)

Afro Samurai

• Bulleteer
  • Afro Samurai
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 02:51:12 am
Yep...very nice place...just 77 miles from me...just happens was planning a trip there on the back roads witht some friends ...but will see how I get hit by the shutdown....so far as I can tell I am the only bullet in the state...all the others are in the museum apparently...hope to cross paths with some of you one day...