Author Topic: You Have To At Least Give It A Try  (Read 2547 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 05, 2013, 06:33:09 pm
Just sitting around enjoying a lazy Saturday afternoon and decided to to watch one of my favorite live performances, Dimmu Borgir & Orchestra At Wacken Metal Festival 2012.  The Wacken Metal Fest is the largest annual metal festival in the world.  Last year Dimmu Borgir played live with their orchestra and it is just an amazing show.

I KNOW THE MAJORITY OF YOU HATE DEATH METAL, BUT HEAR ME OUT!

The dynamics of this performance are out of this world.  When you actually look past the face paint and screaming vocals and listen to the music itself as a whole.....  It's just undescribable.  I personally am a metal fanatic,  but my 2nd favorite music is opera/orchestra so I really enjoy this.  But please, feel free to express your views!  Do you like it?  Is it garbage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGa-9EiTlOQ

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 06:43:55 pm
It reminded me a lot of part of a movie soundtrack.

My impressions are that the orchestral arranger did a masterful job at giving monumental scope and drama to an otherwise fairly simplistic and monotonous piece.

In a nutshell, it's like lipstick on a pig.
But, I can see that death metal fans would like like the dramatic flair that the orchestra brought to the performance, and it definitely did increase the impact that way.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:46:51 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 09:23:05 pm
Hey the first metal to enter my ears and rattle my brain was in '73. The band was none other than Black Sabbath and the album was Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Comparing the metal band in the video to my fond memories of the first metal chords I had ever heard thanks to Tony Iommi I would have to say that I am glad I was thirteen in '73  instead of thirteen in '03. Ozzie rules! That is why all other metal bands play at Ozzfest........they know who the godfathers of metal are. Hey it's all good. I think Dimmu is really not my taste, I'm more of a Coheed & Cambria fan.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 09:35:12 pm
Dimmu is actually the only black metal band I listen too, but I listen to everything from NWA to Johnny Cash.  NOT fan of ANY of the new "radio" music except for Avenge and 5 Finger.  I mostly listen to old school metal like Pantera, Sepultura, Slayer, Death, Morbid Angel.  Actually going to see Morbid Angel next month!  Coheed & Cambria are pretty cool too.

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 10:08:39 pm
That's good, but too much orchestra and not enough head bangin' for me!
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 12:20:22 pm
Sorry Scottie, I gave it a look for a minute or two but it ain't my thang
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 03:59:33 pm
That's good, but too much orchestra and not enough head bangin' for me!

You've done started it now D the D!     ;D

Check out these guys!  My favorite NEW metal band, Infant Annihilator playing Decapitation Fornication.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeRWaIh5Hw

Drum Play Thru - same song no lyrics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nibarXoWJbo

Scottie

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 03:49:43 am
  Damn !  That's some sick and disturbing shyte Scottie !  What the the !?... guys humping guys in the woods !?    Sheeesh !    The first one was very " Lord of the rings".... but WTF with the other one ?

This is about as " Screamo"  as I get........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPaz0p2dpEk
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 04:35:56 am
If Wagner was alive today he'd probably play in a heavy metal band! And Mozart would be some kind folk hippie.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 02:34:12 pm
LMAO    ;D

Metal videos are all about the "shock factor".  Basically, any time a metal band makes a video the initial thought is "how can we make this as offensive as possible to the main stream?"  I think it's super funny.  Especially when you watch the drum play through version and you see all the posters of naked women on the walls.  LOL

Scottie

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 07:12:52 pm
The instrumental part reminded me a bit like the Moody Blues, one of my favorite groups. However, the rest of it sucked. What I could understand of the lyrics, frankly, is garbage.
It won't be found in my rather vast CD collection.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 07:45:06 pm
I actually liked it..Very theatrical and blending with a orchestra was insightful...Music like this needs to be played a bit loud and with the wife out of the house..They put on a good show and being there would be all the better...Bare would ooze right in there with a hot chick and a few hits from his bong... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 12:24:09 am
LMAO    ;D

Metal videos are all about the "shock factor".  Basically, any time a metal band makes a video the initial thought is "how can we make this as offensive as possible to the main stream?"  I think it's super funny.  Especially when you watch the drum play through version and you see all the posters of naked women on the walls.  LOL

Scottie

Sorry Scottie..... Must just be getting cranky and old. And I hear ya. In my younger  days  :-\.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=227m9lw5CcI

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 02:28:03 am
It is almost as good as "Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld" !(my personal favorite http://youtu.be/pJCBOrmHPqQ
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:34:14 am by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 02:57:53 am
Check out these guys!
Scottie

I like it the instrumental.  But all death metal lyrics sound the same to me.

Now to make you all sick here's a song about strawberries.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olsd-6doRto
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH