Author Topic: 2011 B5 turning problem  (Read 2261 times)

busmec

• Scooter
on: October 05, 2013, 12:19:06 am
The problem I'm having is the bike turns right OK but turning left i have a slight Resistance when leaning in to turn ,then feels like something suddenly gives / moves then turn is OK , don't have any feeling of movement when bike straightens up. I was wondering if anyone has had the same or similar problem. I replaced my tires thinking they were the problem replaced speedmasters with AM 26 roadriders. I am now thinking my swing arm bushing might be bad. Any thoughts or Ideas?
 Thanks Dan

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 12:20:11 am
Is your rear wheel properly aligned?  If it's not then the bike will feel different turning left and right.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 12:52:03 am
Does the front wheel rotate freely when the handlebar is turned or the front brake is rubbing against disc at some spots when handlebar is turned ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ChrisS

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 12:55:16 am
Make sure all the electrical cables going to the light area are clear.
2011 RE B5
2010 BMW R1200RT
2008 Ural Gear Up
1983 BMW R80RT

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 12:57:04 am
Make sure all the electrical cables going to the light area are clear.

+1 to all and also the cables (throttle ones especially, they can be a bit too tightly snug around the frame towards the left. If you turn the bar towards the right, does it tend to turn back/oppose the direction?) etc.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 02:08:39 am
singhg5, didn't you complain of turning weirdness when your front wheel bearings were worn?

busmec

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 02:12:51 am
Sorry I didn't specify all this is taking place in the rear tire area I'm not having a problem with the front it feels like the rear tire moves a little or shifts when making left turn.  I have checked alignment & everything seems tight I could find nothing loose or any play in rear tire.  No never have had any problems with frt wheel bearing  Singh5 , Though have had engine issues.
  Dan

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 11:32:56 am
So everything seems aligned, yeah? Are the snail adjusters on the same notch on either side? After your chain adjustments, make sure you tighten the big hex nut for the axle first, followed by the brake anchor nut (holding the brake pedal down to center the brakes). Make sure the snails haven't moved etc and are firmly placed together next to the notches. Then tighten the castle nut + split pin.

If all the above is fine, then it might be something to do with the bushing..as you're only having the problem whilst turning left. Hopefully experienced members will be able to diagnose the issue and guide you on the right path.  :)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 02:26:35 pm
singhg5, didn't you complain of turning weirdness when your front wheel bearings were worn?

Yes Matt, and that was scary. The bike would not lean left nor turn left - kept going straight, when the left front wheel bearing was worn out.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 03:02:42 pm
"....  Are the snail adjusters on the same notch on either side?"

Be aware that this is by no means a guarantee of wheel alignment. My wheels are aligned (confirmed by lasers) when the RH snail is adjusted two notches further than the LH snail!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:15:42 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 03:25:58 pm
True. As per our RE manuals and such, they do enforce snails to be equal on either side. I've aligned mine the old school way of using a long nylon string. With this method, both the snails have rested on the same notch/either side...for me personally. Steering is perfect.