Author Topic: Tachometer  (Read 1619 times)

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
on: October 04, 2013, 10:04:56 pm
Hi Guys!
This topic might have already been discussed - sorry to bring it up again...

I have a dual fire electronic tach (Analog faceplate). The UCE ignition is Single fire. There are single fire tach adapters that can be used for Twin cylinders - which should have 2 ignition coil (right?)

In our RE, it seems like we have 1 ignition coil. The single fire adapter that connects to coil has wires for coil#1 and coil#2. In this case, considering RE has 1 ignition coil, can both coil#1 and coil#2 be connected to the same ignition coil negative?

Will this show the proper RPM?

Also essentially these adapter are 2 diodes with parallel resistors across each - allowing current to flow only in one direction.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/single_fire_tach_adapter.gif

Please let me know if any inputs...

Thanks,
Sajiv
2011 RE C5 (@25K + miles)
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed (sold @26K miles)
2013 BMW R1200RT (@43K + miles)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 08:05:29 pm
Hi Guys!
This topic might have already been discussed - sorry to bring it up again...

I have a dual fire electronic tach (Analog faceplate). The UCE ignition is Single fire. There are single fire tach adapters that can be used for Twin cylinders - which should have 2 ignition coil (right?)

In our RE, it seems like we have 1 ignition coil. The single fire adapter that connects to coil has wires for coil#1 and coil#2. In this case, considering RE has 1 ignition coil, can both coil#1 and coil#2 be connected to the same ignition coil negative?

Will this show the proper RPM?

Please let me know if any inputs...

Thanks,
Sajiv

I don't think the UCE is what I would call single fire.

I believe the UCE fires the plug on both Power stroke & Exhaust stroke. That is not single fire.

A single fire ignition system fires only on the power stroke & on my harley would require 2 coils & a whole lotta other money  ;)  ;)

Here's what I would try with your tach: I would hook up the 12V wire, start the bike & touch ONE of the tach's coil wires to the Enfield's coil & see what happens. Whatever happens will tell you what to do next. I'll make a S.W.A.G that the tach will work.

But godknows, I've been wrong before. That's how I've learned so much from my mistakes.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 05:00:59 am
I know there is modern looking tachs, but has anyonre found a good looking 50s style?
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.