Author Topic: Changing Fork Oil 2012 C5  (Read 9069 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 11:14:16 pm
I am wondering if the top cap is not reverse-threads in the upper-fork of C5.

GHG or JVS or anyone who has C5 can correct me if I do not understand your motorcycle fork system. I assume you use top-cap to unscrew the upper-fork.

Do you turn the top-cap CLOCKWISE when looking down from above to unscrew the upper-fork ? That will be consistent with upper-fork having regular threads.

If upper-fork has regular threads, it will LOOSEN out of nacelle ANTICLOCKWISE when looking up from below or CLOCKWISE looking down from above.

If the top-cap has reverse-threads, then turning it CLOCKWISE looking down from above will LOOSEN the top cap itself, leaving the upper-fork stuck in nacelle.

Enquiring minds want to know ;)

EDIT - GHG you are typing and me typing at the same time trying to figure this out what is going on !
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:21:38 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 11:20:56 pm
   He...he..he.. No problem Singh.  We think alike.... I knew YOU would pick up on it.  ;) 
 It's really a ridiculous system.... but the top caps thread into the top of the legs with a reverse thread.  So turning the cap clock wise is loosening it. The threads on the outside of the leg, which thread into the nacelle are normal.  Sooooo...... what I do is loosen the top cap first, by turning it clockwise. THEN, unscrew the leg from the nacelle counterclockwise .... with the now loosened top cap still in place, on top of the leg. Then I can simply remove the top cap with the leg off the bike.  You know.... then continue on dissembling the leg for cleaning and adding oils and such...  You could stop right there if you want ?  And just dump the oil out of the top.  Let it drain and refill if you choose?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:33:39 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 11:32:48 pm
You can get a 120V electric impact wrench at Harbor Freight for about $50 when they're on sale.  You'd still need whatever sockets/adapters/hexes to mate it to the 12mm allen but it's a thought.

And it makes you feel like you're in the pits at Le Mans when you rotate your tires :)

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 11:44:58 pm
   He...he..he.. No problem Singh.  We think alike.... I knew YOU would pick up on it.  ;) 
 It's really a ridiculous system.... but the top caps thread into the top of the legs with a reverse thread.  So turning the cap clock wise is loosening it. The threads on the outside of the leg, which thread into the nacelle are normal. 

Sooooo...... what I do is loosen the top cap first, by turning it clockwise.

THEN, unscrew the leg from the nacelle counterclockwise .... with the now loosened top cap still in place, on top of the leg.

Then I can simply remove the top cap with the leg off the bike.  You know.... then continue on dissembling the leg for cleaning and adding oils and such...  You could stop right there if you want ?  And just dump the oil out of the top.  Let it drain and refill if you choose?

You don't use top-cap to unscrew the upper leg, instead loosen the top cap first, leaving the leg still tight in nacelle.

Tighten the lower triple nuts to hold the upper leg in place to loosen the top-cap without turning the leg, or vice a versa.

Then with all your might you turn the upper leg out of nacelle.

How hard is it to turn the upper leg out of nacelle by holding on to it ? Any special device or strap ? 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:23:20 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 12:25:12 am
You are not using top-cap to unscrew the upper leg. But you loosen the top cap first.

Then with all your might you turn the upper leg out of nacelle. How hard is it to turn the upper leg out of nacelle by holding on to it ? Any special device or strap ? 

I understand that you use lower triple nuts to hold upper leg in place if you want to loosen the top-cap without turning the fork, or vice a versa.

Yes Singh,  I have been able to unscrew the legs with my hands, after loosening the lower triple clamp pinch bolt.  I DO work with pipe wrenches all day ;D    I have also used a Strap wrench after taking off the lower leg.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:27:51 am by gashousegorilla »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 12:35:14 am
   Yes Singh,  I have been able to unscrew the legs with my hands, after loosening the lower triple clamp pinch bolt.  I DO work with pipe wrenches all day ;D    I have also used a Strap wrench.

Great GHG !  Thanks. 

I hope JVS and others can follow your advice and experience, get their C5 fork oils changed and enjoy smoother rides.

May be the factory has improved their fork oil in newer bikes, but after a few years RE owners will need to change the oil at some point.

PS - If I had to go through all this, I will definitely drill a small fill hole in the top-cap and close it with a threaded bolt that can be easily pulled out from above for future oil changes without having to remove the forks.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:50:09 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 01:14:19 am

PS - If I had to go through all this, I will definitely drill a small fill hole in the top-cap and close it with a threaded bolt that can be easily pulled out from above for future oil changes without having to remove the forks.

Yeah, it's a good Idea Singh.  But a conundrum as well. You still would have to remove the lower leg to drain and clean out the old oil.  That itself can be a PIA !  Almost can't win.....  I think Ducati Scotty had the right Idea with a drain hole drilled and tapped on the lower leg, AND as you suggest, a fill hole up top.  So you can just pump the oil out , by holding the front brake, and up and down with the front end..... Like most other bikes  :(    Pretty much like how your G-5 is I believe  ;)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 01:38:15 am
Great discussion and thanks for the advice. I myself can get the fork legs out by hand, but that damn top cap is one hell of a soldier, lol.

Well, I'll give this another go soon enough..maybe not that soon enough now  :-X When my front tyre needs replacing, which should be in another 2-3k, I'll definitely give it one last go. Otherwise, I will resort to draining and re-filling from the bottom bolts. Once again, thanks for the input, everyone.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 07:26:10 am
I'm just gonna leave it. Bikes fine as is.

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 07:39:34 am
Please note that on my straight front forks the top cap needs to be removed with a 28 mm flat spanner or something similar. A socket will not fit.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 09:35:15 pm
my forks are starting to leak out the grey sludge stock fork oil but after reading all this im way scared to go in there. sounds like a mission.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 09:38:07 pm
If you do, you'll need to replace the seals.  Get the little steel collar tool from RE that goes on the fork so you don't crack the top of the leg prying them out.

Scott

ruufman58

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 06:37:21 pm
Scotty is it possible to rmove the chrome caps and hex plugs without removing the wheel fender etc?And if so is it possible to then remove the lower hex and slide out the damper rod a couple of inches to just drain the oil?

Thanks for the write up.

Ruufman
2013 G5Deluxe riding since 72

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 06:51:19 pm
Uh, kind of, if you really wanted to.  I suppose you could unthread the top fork tubes from the nacelle and slide them out together still attached to the wheel, but I REALLY wouldn't try it.  The whole assembly is going to be so big and awkward to handle it wouldn't be worth it, and you're almost certain to damage the fender.

If you're not confident taking the wheel off you shouldn't try this by yourself.  Find a friend with a little more experience to help you through it.

Scott

ruufman58

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 10:48:44 pm
I worked on them this afternoon and answered my own question.It doesn't work.
2013 G5Deluxe riding since 72