Author Topic: Bike hooligans in NYC  (Read 7973 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 10:33:41 pm
Evidently one of the officers didn't tell the complete truth, as it's now being reported that he may have hit and kicked the car. 

ANYways... if there is ANY ray of sunshine in an otherwise dark and dreary story, it is the guy who intervened.  His name is Sergio Consuegra, and he stepped in between the driver and the bikers and probably saved that guy's life.

"On Thursday, the NYPD released the photo of the Good Samaritans who were key witnesses to the assault. They were on their way to church when they saw the angry group of bikers descending onto a black Range Rover with a flat tire in Washington Heights.

"At that moment, nobody's stepping in," says Consuegra.

Consuegra said he had no other choice but to jump in when he saw Rosalyn Ng being dragged out of the SUV by a big bikers, and says the young mother was told "you're going to get it, too".

"He grabbed the lady by her arms real loud," Consuegra adds.

A crowd then gathered and started yelling "Not the lady", so he stopped.

Consuegra then jumped in between the biker who was smashing Lien with his helmet, and it was all over.

"I felt tense. I felt that God was with me there," says Consuegra. "I said stop it, let it go. And then somehow one of them moved started moving and I said yeah this is enough now."

"At that moment I said oh I gotta do something, there's a famly in danger here," Consuegra added, "And they're gonna get killed, nobody intervened in this situation and nobody stepping in."

Consuegra says he wishes he could have done more. "

The part I like most about this piece of the story is this guys stepped in with massive courage, possibly saved this family, and then left.  He didn't wait around to be a big story.  The police had to SEARCH for him.  Dude's got character.  And balls.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 01:45:24 am
We live in an age of declining decency.All manor of mayhem is perpetrated daily,some of it makes the news.
It is regrettable,but we will see this trend continue.

This isn't actually true. Read Steven Pinkers, "The Better Angels of our Nature". Violence has actually decreased substantially over both the short term and long term.

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 01:51:52 am
My understanding is the two LEO's were not on duty and work undercover.  They own bikes and were participating in the ride while off duty.  As all LEO's, they have a duty to identify themselves when crimes are being committed. They may have felt in a bind when the events went viral and then waited several days to offer up they were there?  Can't seem to count on some to do the right thing in uniform or out...

There have been court decisions that disagree with your statement. See this article in Slate.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/10/08/alexian_lien_hollywood_stuntz_do_cops_have_to_intervene_if_you_re_getting.html

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 06:16:10 am
Not to hijack the thread but the fact that the police are under no obligation to stop a crime by protecting an individual from others makes me glad Arizona laws allows me to "carry concealed".
For those who don't know what that means, it means I can carry and use my handgun(s) in my pocket or backpack to protect myself, my family or even a total stranger if I want to. :)

Needless to say, this same line of thinking on the police's oblagation to stop a crime or protect individuals certainly damages the anti-gun peoples position and many times voiced statement that "You don't need a gun.  If you are in trouble, just call the police and they will protect you".
BS  :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 07:57:57 am
If you watch the video closely, when the one asswipe knocks out the window with his helmet...watch the guy that runs up and punches the rear door window. You can see a genuine "Oh crap that hurt!" moment. Bet the dumbass broke his hand! ;D
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

kodai

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 08:35:08 am
serves the idiot right,   also the cop that tried to break the back windows     all deserve prision time

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 07:56:27 am
This story made it all the way to South Africa and was quite a hot topic on Facebook for a few days. After reading up quite a bit on the topic, my opinion is this, both parties were at fault.

The bikers were being hooligans to begin with BUT nothing "just" happens. This story really does reek of Range Rover a55holeness and we have all been there, whether we have been cut off or tail gated by a rich a55 driving a luxury car, in either a car or on a bike. In South Africa, BMW's or VW GTi's seem to be the biggest culprit but I've had the odd altercation with a Range Rover.

My theory is this, the bikers were being hooligans and tried to get everybody off the road so they could show off, the range rover dude said screw you, I'm driving a range rover and ill do whatever I want and that's where it all started.

Lesson learnt, and to be honest it's pretty obvious from the start, when you have a mob if idiots surrounding you being  hooligans, politely leave as fast as you can because trouble will come if you hang around. It's just simple logic. They are just waiting for a fight.

Did the guy deserve to be cut in the face? Not a chance. But I don't believe he was completely innocent either.

Hornets only sting if you prod the nest.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:59:45 am by young gun »

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 12:36:34 pm
This story made it all the way to South Africa and was quite a hot topic on Facebook for a few days. After reading up quite a bit on the topic, my opinion is this, both parties were at fault.

The bikers were being hooligans to begin with BUT nothing "just" happens. This story really does reek of Range Rover a55holeness and we have all been there, whether we have been cut off or tail gated by a rich a55 driving a luxury car, in either a car or on a bike. In South Africa, BMW's or VW GTi's seem to be the biggest culprit but I've had the odd altercation with a Range Rover.

My theory is this, the bikers were being hooligans and tried to get everybody off the road so they could show off, the range rover dude said screw you, I'm driving a range rover and ill do whatever I want and that's where it all started.

Lesson learnt, and to be honest it's pretty obvious from the start, when you have a mob if idiots surrounding you being  hooligans, politely leave as fast as you can because trouble will come if you hang around. It's just simple logic. They are just waiting for a fight.

Did the guy deserve to be cut in the face? Not a chance. But I don't believe he was completely innocent either.

Hornets only sting if you prod the nest.

Strange that the type of car brand causes drivers to be irresponsible?  Ridiculous notion...
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 02:51:11 pm
Strange that the type of car brand causes drivers to be irresponsible?  Ridiculous notion...

Not so.  I see it here in Denver ALL the time.  These bitch ass yuppies in their BMW and Mercedes SUVs almost all drive like arrogant bastards.  Seriously.  Do what ever they want, drive whatever speed they want, cut who ever off that they want.  I can't count the number of times I've flipped the bird at these assholes for cutting me off.  They have this mentality like "I'm rich and successful.  I drive a $100K SUV.  They rules don't apply to me.  And even if you give me a ticket officer, I'll just have my lawyer fight it and have it dropped.  Because I'm important."  It makes me sick.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: October 12, 2013, 02:56:56 pm
Incredible Scotty, you've never seen a worn out old beeter drive erratically, without regards for others? 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 03:00:26 pm
You can bet that if the person in the SUV pulled a gun to defend himself,  the cops would have identified themselves really quick then, and arrested him for "possession of a gun". It's all okay while THEY are perpetrating the crime, but if anyone tried to defend himself against their violence, and their "fun" might turn out bad for them, then they would be falling all over each other to whip their badges out.
This is a classic case of double standard, where the cops act as if they are "above the law" and consider their own illegal actions "allowed" while purporting to be "law enforcers" against the general public.

BTW, the latest news that I have read says that there were 3 "officers" in this group of perps.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:23:46 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #41 on: October 12, 2013, 04:02:01 pm
The reason I believe people blame certain brands for a type of driving (and cyclists say the same thing about Beemers) is because they are so easily recognizable.  No one is going to say, "oh that Nissan Juke cut me off," because no one knows what the hell a Nissan Juke looks like.  Or an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.  Or a Hyundai Sonata.  They just are not as broadly recognizable as a Beemer, Merc or RR.

I don't believe in this brand stereotype.  I know plenty of folks with BMWs who drive just fine and plenty of asshats in Honda Civics who don't.  It's brand-recognition, in my useless opinion.  I take it back, my opinion is sound.  I commute in Boston on a Bullet.  Find me a place with more asshat drivers and I'll tip my asshat to you.  ;)
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: October 12, 2013, 04:14:26 pm
+1 Boggy, but I think that Farmington Hills Michigan just may give you a run for your money for asshats, start tipping!  8) 8) 8)
Robert.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #43 on: October 13, 2013, 01:18:14 am
Roverman: C'mon, Farmington Hills, MI?  Where the heck is that?  Boston had asshat drivers before you had roads.  ;)

Anyways, there's absolute proof:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-drivers-really-are-jerks--studies-find-214456020.html

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: October 13, 2013, 03:53:07 am
Farmington Hills,Michigan.
North of Farmington,Mi.South of West Bloomfield,Mi.East of Novi.West ofSouthfield,Mi.All of which are located northwest of Detroit,Mi.
Pretty nice area.