Author Topic: The Space Shuttle.....what!  (Read 1463 times)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
on: October 12, 2013, 12:42:34 am
 Last night on tele there was some great footage of the space shuttle doing its thing.what an awesome piece of kit that was.! But it made me think, when will you yanks fix your economy and get back to doing the absolutely inspiring world leading culturally defining humanity advancing stuff like that? I miss it. I remember as a kid watching the moon landings and sending away for the NASA kit (glossy photos and a commemorative magazine-still a treasured item)and being totally amazed. Ya gotta quit these dodgy wars and get back to leading the human race, morally as well as economically . And while we're on an aerospace theme, how come you're building the joint strike fighter instead of the f-22? It seems a bit lemon like by all accounts. Just wondering.... No pressure!
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 12:59:35 am
Great Idea but, it won't happen soon. We're buying too much cheap plastic crap and poorly made auto parts from China.  The president dislikes TX which is where NASA operations  are centered.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 01:07:02 am
Yeah , same thing here re china. All our manufacturing is closing down or going of shore coz we can't compete with their labour markets. All we can do it seems is dig stuff up and stick it on a ship! And the economists and politicians seem to think that's good.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 01:26:45 am
I don't think there is anything really wrong with the F-35 JSF.

It's not quite as good at some things as the F-22 but it will do just about any job that's needed and with its variants allowing either normal airbase operation or carrier take off/landings it can be used by the Airforce or the Navy.  Then, the Marines have a semi VTOL version too.

We have over 180 F-22's actively deployed so it's not like they are not doing their share of the job.  They are just not as adaptable for the Navy/Marines.

Did you know the F-35 is totally unstable in flight and the only reason it can fly normally is because of several computers that are actually controlling it?  Talk about fly by wire.  :o

If the main engine flames out causing a loss of electrical and computer power, the APU designed and built by my old employer must start after being cold soaked at temperatures of 45 degrees F below zero in less than a second at altitudes several miles high.  Once started, it provides electrical power plus main engine restarting capabilities. 
That's quite an accomplishment.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:29:45 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 02:13:13 am
It's amazing technology .! The Jsf get a lot of bad press here on account the perceived lack of payload, weight limitations , flight envelope and the need for tanker support. We retired f111s a couple of years ago which was a contentious issue . They were well suited to the defence of northern aust on account ad Their long range and hi speed. There is an interesting website called " air power Australia " that seems to have done a fairly  thorough analysis ( although I'm no expert)  . If you check it out I'd interested to see what you think!

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 03:51:41 pm
The future of sending humans into space is in the private sector's hands.  Someday we will probably see nice big ads on the Moon  ???

Nasa will continue to send it's satellite out into infinity which is still pretty cool stuff if you've followed it.  The Cassini spacecraft has beamed back some pretty cool images and data and it's no small feat that we are driving around an giant RC car around Mars.  How the heck to they actually get one of those suckers to land on another planet.  Just amazing.  I really do hope we go back to the Moon.  Put some HD cameras on that sucker so I can tune in during lunch breaks and watch all the UFOs land  8)

But sending monkeys into space will be done by the Richard Bransons and Elon Musks of the private sectors.  I'm still fairly young enough to hope that I can one day book a seat on what would be one hell of a ride. 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 07:59:29 pm
Did you know the F-35 is totally unstable in flight and the only reason it can fly normally is because of several computers that are actually controlling it?  Talk about fly by wire.  :o
That pretty much applies to all combat planes since the F-16, perhaps one or two before that. They are all tail heavy, so they turn better. Makes it mighty hard to control manually!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 01:28:42 am
'".....when will you yanks fix your economy and get back to doing the absolutely inspiring world leading culturally defining humanity advancing stuff ...."

Why,just as soon as the generation responsible for all of those successes either clones itself or returns from the grave.....LOL.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 03:37:27 am
What we need is leadership.That will not come from the political arena,obviously.
So,it will come from outside government.
I am working out the details,but it may take a bit longer than I originally planned for.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 02:26:09 pm
That's it!  I'M running for president!  Free hot wings for everyone every Wednesday Night!  LOL  ;D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 05:55:57 pm
Napoleon was a corporal and Hitler was a corporal.  I knew when they put that third stripe on me that I would never dominate the world.   :'(
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH