Author Topic: Starter Removal tip  (Read 1108 times)

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
on: October 02, 2013, 05:49:05 am
So I don't think I told y'all I removed my starter, hell I haven't said much lately. I moved to a place with no net and spotty cell data service... And its only a mile from my old place! I also got a job as a parts driver for a local autozone which is cool but shitty cuz now I won't be making my cross country trip over the winter... 

Anyway, I removed my starter and had some parts that one of our fine brothers sent me a while back; the gears for the sprag replacement save the sprag itself but included with it was the end of the starter...  Just the end, as in the part that retains the starter gear side of the starter motor, and goes into the hump/tumor as it is affectionately known round here. Well since my starter had been giving me so much trouble,  locking up and staying engaged and whatnot, I had to remove it on the fly one day a few months back, just to get the bike to start and run because it was always trying to spin the starter.

Well I bodged a plug out of a rubber end cap and a piece if metal to keep the primary oil from flying out of the now open hole where the starter was. But that fell out after a few rides. So I took the end piece that I had from the gift from one of our brethren (thanks again to ya brother) and had a buddy of a buddy tap it and plug it with a nice brass plug. I then shoved it into the hole. AAANNND using nothing but the o-ring for tension to keep it in, it has not budged. I want to fit a screw into the damn thing because it lines up and has matching threads with a screw hole that is there for some random as yet determined reason...  But there is not enough room to get the screw in and then align it. But like I said it has not budged in almost 500 miles.

So. If you cannot afford a full conversion to the no hump primary side, but want to do a starter removal...  You can easily remove the end piece of your starter, as it is held on by two long screws that hold the ends of the starter to the tube which contains the permanent magnets for the starter. Then you will have to tap and find a suitable plug, but it can be done.

So in conclusion, I just finally got online again by borrowing from the neighbors wifi so I wanted to say HEY! And share the news, both bike and non bike related.

Have a good Autumn y'all and ride safe. I know I'm gonna!
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 02:20:59 pm
Got pictures?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 06:53:19 pm
When I get done working I'll try to remember. It was dark and late last night... Didn't feel like walking down to snap em.
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.