Author Topic: Kill the kill switch  (Read 1657 times)

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
on: October 01, 2013, 06:32:11 pm
  I'm Looking for advice.I am thinking of removing the kill switch from the handlebars and using a toggle switch mounted to the back side of the toolbox. My plan is to tap into the ground side of the coils primary wires.  Does anyone out there have a better approach?
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:09:30 pm
It can be done many ways.
However, consider that the handlebar mounted kill switch is located there to allow fast killing of the engine in case of emergency/stuck throttle/etc.

I have never really needed a kill switch on my motorcycle in my entire life. But if I did, I'd probably want it to be very quickly accessible.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 09:39:19 pm
It can be done many ways.
However, consider that the handlebar mounted kill switch is located there to allow fast killing of the engine in case of emergency/stuck throttle/etc.

I have never really needed a kill switch on my motorcycle in my entire life. But if I did, I'd probably want it to be very quickly accessible.

+1 to this and you can still wire in a toggle or other discreet switch wherever you want.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 12:51:31 am
Thanks for the input  fellas. I am replacing the original throttle which is integrated into the electric start,lite & kill switch housing. With a Doherty Throttle that is by itself. With that,the brake lever, & choke lever I start running out of straight section of handlebar to put a kill switch too.
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 01:21:17 am
A "kill switch" always seemed redundant to me. I got rid of it a long time ago and just use the key.
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 02:17:06 am
I can only give you my experience, while traveling on a dirt road, I encountered a patch of sand in ruts, and was caught in the rut ending up with my bike pinning me on my left side and my boot banging on the spokes, motor running and wheel spinning.  Glad to have a kill switch handy at my thumb.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 05:13:10 am
I had the throttle stick on an old dirt bike.  Glad I had a kill switch on the handlebar because I was coming up on a hair pin in the trail.  I would have smoked a bunch of trees otherwise.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King