Author Topic: Boer War Trip South Africa  (Read 1306 times)

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
on: October 01, 2013, 12:50:38 pm
Hi, As per our local Cape Town Newsletter for October we are proposing this coming December a Boer War trip through the former Cape Colony in South Africa. Activity in this area during the Boer War (1899-1902) seems to be less well documented and less well known. For instance, I had absolutely no idea that the Boers came as far as Darling, about 60 km from Cape Town! We obviously cannot visit the site of every skirmish or every town as we are, unfortunately, limited by time and money. Hence, we’re proposing:  A ride of about 2000 km on both tarred and ground roads.  Exploring the lesser-known facts of the second Boer War and the geological features of the area.  Proposed date from 16 to 22 December, just in time to be home for Christmas.  We have not yet arranged any accommodation as we would like to receive your input on the type of accommodation preferred – i.e. B&B, hotel, camping?  We would like to keep the cost to a minimum and my provisional estimate would be in the region of R5000 to R6000 per person all-inclusive – obviously, if we go camping or you are a pillion we could curb this figure even further - for those who may want to join from overseas we can probably organise rental bikes via the local dealership.  Places we propose to visit:  Darling  Hopefield  Picketberg  Clanwilliam  Vanrhynsdorp  Calvinia  Frasersburg  Victoria West  Hanover  Murraysburg  Graaf Reinett  Aberdeen  Willowmore  Uniondale  De Rust  Klaarstroom  Prince Albert  Laingsburg  Matjiesfontein  Ceres  Wolseley  Wellington. If your're interesting in joining us from overseas than please let me know and I forward you some more detail..... Regards Roeland

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:10:28 pm
To warm some of you up to possibly join I post herewith a YouTube link of our trip a few months ago in the Himalayas.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OknrsATU5VI

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 07:11:56 am
I wish I could afford to take a holiday. :'(
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.