Author Topic: Squeaky front brakes, rust removal, and no loctite?  (Read 2072 times)

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
on: October 01, 2013, 04:57:32 am
Good evening!

Some noob questions for you: My bike was 1200 or so miles on it, and the front brakes squeak as I apply them. Just add some kind of lubricant/oil to them right?

Also, the large hexagonal bolt that sits on the console, directly below the speedometer, has some rust around the edges. What's a safe rust remover to use on chrome parts?

And lastly, I've been checking most of the nuts and bolts for any weakness/signs of looseness, and so far everything is good and tight. I think I know most of you guys will says take the bolts off and apply loctite now rather than later, but does anyone else do it differently?

I appreciate it guys!

2013 B5 Bullet 500

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:08:47 am
The only thing that needs any oil or grease on the front brakes is the guide pins that the pads and calipers use to hold things in place.  Do not apply oil or grease to any other piece of the brakes or it won't stop.

You could probably use a light oil and a old toothbrush to try to remove the rust.  If that dosn't work, some fine steel wool will do the job but it's hard to keep it from scratching the paint around the nut.

The nuts with the nylon inserts built into them don't need anything to lock them in place.  That's what the nylon insert does.

IMO, if the bike has 1200 miles on it and the fasteners are still tight, don't worry about them.
If you remove any of them then be sure to apply some blue Loc-tite or a similar medium strength thread locking compound.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:53:56 pm
Mines rusted around that big nut too. Almost straight after buying the bike new. Every now and then I apply rust remover with a toothbrush but you must be careful not to get it everywhere as it will eat paint. I can't be arsed with prettying the bike up too much anymore. Use it too much.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 02:06:20 pm
I used Kroil or Liquid Wrench on a toothbrush to clean my big nut.  The Misses won't mind Kroil, it smells kind of nice.  ;D
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:07:32 pm
I have some Liquid Wrench and a spare toothbrush so I'll add that to my list of things to do to the bike today (along with practicing removing the battery for winter storage, wiping up grease spots, and lubricating cables and pivots).

And I knew as I typing about using grease on the brakes that it was a bad idea haha. Nothing like nice lubricated brakes to start your morning commute.
2013 B5 Bullet 500

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 04:16:04 pm
Sometimes front brake pads vibrate and create a buzzing sound which can be reduced by applying brake-lube on the BACK of the brake pads, on the metal surface that touches the brake pistons.

Take off brake caliper, remove pads, pins, spring and clean each item and apply thin coat of brake-lube to pins that pass through the holes in brake pads. I also apply a thin layer of brake-lube on metallic flat spring that comes in contact with the edge of brake pads.

Clean disc also.

I emphasize brake-lube because it sticks to surface, does not run or spread around to areas which should not be oiled.

No lube on the disc, no lube on the pad surface touching the disc - which you already know.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:03:40 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 06:29:22 pm
ACF50 will remove it and keep it from returning. It's a good idea to spray all the metal parts down with it. You don't need to get carried away. A light film will work, and doesn't effect the paint. An application is good for about a year. It's great stuff! It's used on aircraft to prevent corrosion.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:18:26 pm
Here is a dumb question Bare. Do you spray and wipe down? Or just spray and leave it? Enquiring minds want to know.