Author Topic: Top end speed  (Read 5331 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 01:15:59 pm
Thanks for the advice, this is really just long term planning, I don't even have my bike license yet!
The plan is to fit ourselfs with intercom system, and so go-pros to blog it all.
Backpack would really just be a camels pack (Water sack) looped in under helmet
Two saddlebags each bike, and a small fuel jerry on one, maybe even a water jerry.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 01:50:49 pm
I think it's been covered above, but the UCE is the best choice.  Remember that at cruising speed you don't want to be topped out or near topped out.  You may need to accelerate or put on throttle to roll through curves, and at 55 mph a typical Iron Barrel won't cut it - strong headwinds and long upgrades will take their toll on your speed.  It feels lousy to be topped out when cruising.  Isn't safe in traffic either.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

mhaas2

• Neophyte
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 04:53:18 pm
I had my C-5 Classic on the Pocono International Speedway. We got 3 laps of the 205 mile tri-oval. Top indicated speed was 87 mph. I thick it would have done 90, but it only had 600 miles on it and I did not want to push it too hard. It had  saddle bags and a windshield on it. Bigger than the fly one, and just big enough to hide behind.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 07:25:47 pm
Try to find away to carry stuff without the backpack, like maybe a pack over the back fender.  Backpacks are fine for running errands and commuting, but get tiring and burdensome on long rides.  Others may disagree, but my days of wearing a backpack full of crap ended when I left the Marines.

+1.  I use a messenger bag when I commute but I wouldn't want it or a backpack for a long ride.

Scott

RavenTooth

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 10:50:42 pm
I have a D&D full exhaust which adds about 3 HP and I can hit a bit past 90 indicated. Feels like 130 though.

75 is fine to cruise at. Really feel like the exhaust just gave it that needed little extra power to be happy on US freeways. Getting the bike fully broken in helps too. By fully broken in I mean like maybe even couple thousand miles. I would say my bikes feels better than it ever has with about 4k miles on the clock and a few services under its belt.

lemeng15

• Neophyte
Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 08:41:22 am
Getting the bike fully broken in helps too. By fully broken in I mean like maybe even couple thousand miles. I would say my bikes feels better than it ever has with about 4k miles on the clock and a few services under its belt.

True on the fully broken in part. mine rides a lot smoother and less vibration at 100kmph and above after 2000km