Author Topic: Top end speed  (Read 5334 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
on: October 01, 2013, 03:56:33 am
Hey all, just a few quick questions about highway speeds on the new Enfield.

The stock top speed is around 70mph yes? Is hitting this speed on the edge of the bike exploding? Would it be comfortable cruising this all day?

Also, would swapping out sprockets for one less tooth improve this at all?

I ask this, as I am planning a trip around Australia, on an Enfield or the like (Maybe even an Iron Barrel) and that's a 14,000 km (8700 miles) round trip, on nice highways, through desert lifeless plains, but most of our highways are 69mph (110 kmph)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 04:20:29 am
ive been around aust twice - its a long trip so i'd say forget about this or you will be walk'in the nullabor and thats a bloody lonk walk!

I ask this, as I am planning a trip around Australia, on an Enfield or the like (Maybe even an Iron Barrel) and that's a 14,000 km (8700 miles) round trip, on nice highways, through desert lifeless plains, but most of our highways are 69mph (110 kmph)

go buy the uce it will sit on 100 to 110  if i was younger i'd do it on one. in the early 70's a friend and i purchased a new 125 cc rd yamaha then rode from orange nsw to adelaide and back.
so 40 years back if a 125cc two stroke can do it - so can this.
that said on a trip like that 110kph on a uce is actually gps read at bit over a 100kph. do the right thing by the bike and you'll be right with great economy to boot.
besides if you strike any drama - quick post on this forum for a quick reply.

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 04:27:15 am
Sounds like a fun trip to me! I'm a very new rider (<3 months ever riding before) so take this as you will.

I occasionally hit the highways around me and my comfortable cruising speed is 65-70mph. Still getting used to wind blasts/turbulence while riding that fast but the bike sounds/handles fine. A little wobbly but I usually am wearing a nice size backpack to and fro  8)
2013 B5 Bullet 500

Dazzler

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:32:33 am
I have a 2013 C5.  I can travel at 70mph but as for cruising at this speed for hour on end I feel you would be asking a few favours!.  I am not widely experienced however my own gut sense is that settling for a cruising speed in the range 90-100 kph is far more comfortable.  Nothing feels overly stressed.  Rather than focusing on a number that you 'should' be able to achieve I would suggest listening to the machine and let it inform you where it is happy.  Slowing everything down is relaxing.  The machine comes into it's own when it is contentedly chugging along with occasional blatts and pokes as the terrain and spirit requires.  Cruising around Australia sounds great.  It is a dream I have also.  Go for the byways and backroads as much as possible.  I wish you every success and enjoyment on your venture.

Das

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:51:10 am
Actually, for the new Unit Construction Engine, the top speed is 82 mph (132 kmph) but the engine has to be well broken in before this speed for any length of time won't overtax the engine.

These bikes can cruise at 65 mph all day long but they are really happiest at around 60 mph.

The old Iron Barrel on the other hand will overheat if you push it at 65 mph for any length of time.  Their happier at 55 mph. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 05:50:19 am
Cheers guys, I was thinking of sticking around 100kmph haa, and I'm planning this for 2015, 100 years since ANZAC landing, leaving from the dawn service in Melbourne and doing it to raise money for LEGACY (Supports vets)
Doing it with my best mate hopefully, no support crew, just my mind, saddlebags and what on our backs.

Think it'll work?
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 06:07:57 am
sounds good. all the best

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 10:06:22 am
G'day Mazza sounds like a great plan and a damn good cause. My grand uncle  was killed in that landing and nieces husband served 5 tours with special forces ( I think it was 5) in Afghanistan and while being a top bloke had a really hard time re-adjusting to civilian life.thankfully he had a supportive wife and family and is now doing well. I've never served and have no idea what these guys go through but I do know that it is really hard on some though they be highly intelligent , motivated , and commpassionate these conflicts sure take there toll . Best off luck with it. By the way I ride a g5 around rural vic a fair bit and it goes fine at legal speeds all day with occasional excursions into the 120-130 region . I say go for it, and keep us informed. Cheers, D.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:44:18 am
These bikes can cruise at 65 mph all day long but they are really happiest at around 60 mph.

S'true for me...

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 12:51:21 pm
Recently rode 2000km over 3 days, riding at 110-120kph for 3 hours, ten a 10 min break. The uce runs soooo well. 18 months and 30000 Kms later. Going well.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 06:50:45 pm
If you don't have a windshield on it, you should try the flyscreen from Hitchcocks. It really makes a lot of difference without having a big windshield in front of you.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 07:20:49 pm
Try to find away to carry stuff without the backpack, like maybe a pack over the back fender.  Backpacks are fine for running errands and commuting, but get tiring and burdensome on long rides.  Others may disagree, but my days of wearing a backpack full of crap ended when I left the Marines.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 07:23:13 pm
I commute on mine on the Interstate (I-10 into Houston, Texas) 36 miles each way. I normally run about 70 indicated (which is a true 65 mph), with the occasionally run up to 80 indicated (about 75 actual) depending on traffic. I get better than 65 mpg that way, and the bike is holding up just fine (should hit 10,000 miles in the next week or so).

Of course, 35 mile blasts are not the same as all day rides.

I went up a tooth in front, but honestly I don't notice the difference. I have what in the States is called the B5 model. Also, for what it's worth, I have a Givi Airstar A602 screen, which does a good job of keeping the blast off of my chest. Freeway riding without a screen of any sort felt like my shoulders were going to be pulled out of the sockets!
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 10:15:16 pm
thats good to know bare about that flyscreen....like the look of it but thought it would do nothing...

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 03:02:50 am
I've done an 900 km trip in a day stopping for fuel only. It was on 120 kph (indicated) most of that time. No problems whatsoever. Sectorsteve the screen makes a world of difference when travelling. I've got the screen and two leather saddlebags fitted, everything else including the sprokets are standard. Fuel economy was up around 30 km/l for the trip.

Cheers  :)