Author Topic: Low Fuel Light Remains On  (Read 20388 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #75 on: August 29, 2013, 11:21:18 pm
I don't do it regularly but I have run out of gas once, no damage done.

Scott

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #76 on: August 30, 2013, 01:24:53 pm
Less costly too.
The fuel is what  cools the fuel pump in fuel injected vehicles (including the RE).
If the tank runs dry the pump can overheat and fail. :(
I'd think that when the tank runs dry the engine would quit and the rider would turn off the bike, which should cut off the fuel pump and thus forestall overheating the thing.  Curious too that a pump that would overheat would be put in a fuel tank to begin with...but what do I know about bike engineering?  After all, BMW engineers put the places where you have to go to replace a burned out headlight bulb where no one aside from a small squirrel could reach the things...
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: August 30, 2013, 02:44:24 pm
Fuel pumps in the tank are the standard world wide for fuel injected vehicles because a) electric pumps push well but suck at sucking fuel out of a tank, and b) the fuel itself cools the pump.
Before a tank runs completely dry, i.e. as soon as the motor is no longer immersed in fuel, the motor begins to heat because the fuel is no longer in contact cooling it.  The motor will overheat and fail long before it's hot enough to ignite gasoline.  Sparks in the fumes is a bigger worry, and that's not bloody likely with a brushless, spark free, motor.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: August 30, 2013, 02:50:06 pm
The main reason why electric fuel pumps fail is because the vehicle has been run out of fuel.  Most people don't realize or take into consideration that fuel pumps are a wet pump, they are designed to be continuously submerged in fuel.  The petroleum in the fuel lubricates the pump as it is running, when you run the tank out of fuel, there is no load on the pump, so it spins more freely, but there is no more fuel to lubricate the pump and the pump seizes.  Same concept if you run your engine out of oil but keep running the engine.  It might run for a few minutes, but sooner than later it will seize up.

NEVER RUN AN ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP EMPTY!!!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: August 30, 2013, 03:00:23 pm
The main reason why electric fuel pumps fail is because the vehicle has been run out of fuel.  Most people don't realize or take into consideration that fuel pumps are a wet pump, they are designed to be continuously submerged in fuel.  The petroleum in the fuel lubricates the pump as it is running, when you run the tank out of fuel, there is no load on the pump, so it spins more freely, but there is no more fuel to lubricate the pump and the pump seizes.  Same concept if you run your engine out of oil but keep running the engine.  It might run for a few minutes, but sooner than later it will seize up.

NEVER RUN AN ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP EMPTY!!!

Scottie

Yeah, I have a neighbor who gets a new fuel pump in his pickup every year because he never has more than 1/4 tank and fills only when he's on fumes.  Then he still never buys more than 1/4 tank.  Somehow he thinks he's saving money because he never sees more than $15 go out of his pocket at the gas station, but he's doing it every day.  And his pump fails every year.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #80 on: August 31, 2013, 12:24:41 am
You gotta love people like that.
They are living proof your smarter.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #81 on: September 27, 2013, 01:38:20 am
For y'all's information:

Two days ago, no fuel light on.  Today, on all the time.  Stopped at the gas station, opened tank, found it about 1/2 full.  Topped up, fuel light still on.  Oh well.  It's the original one that came on my 2011; the replacement (which I didn't install) that came with my new tank looks just like the original one.  I think I'll write the miles for the rest of this riding season...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: September 27, 2013, 02:45:00 am
might look the same but will work.my b5 had a faulty sender within the first 200 miles......did the same as yours.
fitted a new one myself -pretty easy - drama gone and working fine
just do it!  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #83 on: September 27, 2013, 03:26:00 am
Matt, it's really a mojo light.  Your mojo is always on :)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: September 27, 2013, 10:08:02 pm
+1 ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #85 on: September 27, 2013, 11:20:07 pm
You gotta love people like that.
They are living proof your smarter.  ;D

No, they're living proof that you're smarter  :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #86 on: September 29, 2013, 10:07:26 am
Now it's off again.  :o

Checked connections and wires for issues, found none.  Won't know if it's working again, or failed, until I run low on gas again!  Unless, of course, it lights up again before I run low...

My Sharpie works very well...  ;)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #87 on: October 25, 2013, 04:05:42 am
Let us know if the Sharpie holds up or quits. Then post pics.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #88 on: October 25, 2013, 04:13:22 am
Burned out bulb? :P