Author Topic: 2008 Iron Bullet - Dead  (Read 6702 times)

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 07:19:04 pm
Ace is correct on that. That fuse under the seat isn't in any of the wiring diagrams. Had the same problem with Computerless's bike a few years ago. The problem was behind the headlight.  ERC 
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 08:01:22 pm
Fixed!  I bought another 15A fuse for under the seat ... but the real culprit was that huge bundle of wires all electrical taped up coming down from the head light cluster - it had dropped down from under the gas tank and was sitting on that stupid extra metal line from out of the exhaust pipe on the top.  It had melted through all the tape and exposed the wiring.

That thick bundle is on the right - I already taped it back up though.

'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 09:47:20 pm
The ammeter going apeshit was the clue that it had to be a live wire touching ground. Some time ago I messed with my pilot lights, putting in matched bulbs, and eventually went out for a ride and all of a sudden my ammeter did the "jig" and I had wisps of smoke along with stench coming from up front. Wondered what the hell, pulled over and saw it was coming from behind one pilot light from the backside of the casquette. Somehow the hot wire for the light was pinched through and touching an edge of the housing. Good to hear you got it fixed.  :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:50:34 pm by cafeman »

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 01:47:45 am
I'm going to guess that "nacelle" means the metal shell that houses the headlight, ammeter, speedo and all the wires below my key?   :)  Just havent seen that word used before.
I use the term nacelle in honor of Edward Turner.  From Wikipedia:
Edward Turner used the term "nacelle" to describe his styling device introduced in 1949 to tidy the area around the headlamp and instrument panel of his Triumph Speed Twin, Thunderbird and Tiger 100 motorcycles. This styling device was much copied within the British industry thereafter, although Czech motorcycle manufacturer CZ were using it beforehand. Indeed, the Royal Enfield Bullet still retains their version, the 'casquette', on their current models. The last Triumphs to sport nacelles were the 1966 models of the 6T Triumph Thunderbird 650, 5TA Triumph Speed Twin 500, and 3TA Triumph Twenty One 350.[3][citation needed]
The Triumph Owners' Motor Cycle Club calls its monthly magazine 'Nacelle'.[4] This is named after the Triumph styling device designed by Edward Turner.

The term nacelle is of French origin and is loosely translated as small boat.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 02:00:52 am
Just for fun, here is the Wikipedia description of a casquette, also from French:

Casquette is French for "cap". In cycling jargon, it is used to refer to the traditional peaked cotton cap worn by racing cyclists.

With the introduction of compulsory cycle helmets for massed-start racing, casquettes have become less common, but most professional race outfits still have them produced in team colours for wearing on the winners' podium, for wearing under a helmet in heavy rain or for sale to the tifosi. They have also become popular as fashion items in some American cities, often with non-cycling-related designs.[1]

The casquette shields the head from strong sun and the peak can also make riding in the rain more comfortable, since drops do not fall directly into the eyes. They are sometimes worn with the peak backwards, not for reasons of fashion but because the peak then protects the neck from sunburn.

A traditional way to keep the head cool when cycling in hot conditions was to put a cabbage leaf under the casquette. However, when said cabbage was not available, riders would often turn to sheaths of mesclun.

The name was also used by Royal Enfield motorcycles to describe their version of the nacelle designed by Edward Turner for Triumph motorcycles. The casquette is still used on the  Royal Enfield Bullet model.  Although, it is not clear if the casquette for the RE is the one with a peak or brim over the headlight.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:03:57 am by mrunderhill1975a »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 05:32:19 am
It's good to know that "casquette" is not a French bastardization of the English word for the box one is buried in, ie: casket.   ;D ::)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary