Author Topic: 2008 Iron Bullet - Dead  (Read 6705 times)

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
on: October 01, 2013, 02:38:33 am
So my day got even better tonight after work.  The morning was mailbox plowing with my shoulder.

I kick started - everything was fine as usual.  I get about 1/4 mile up the road.  The ammeter all of a sudden goes apeshit back and forth - the bike cuts out a bit - then its ok.  Another 100 yards - I pull the throttle for some more speed- it cuts out again - then a few seconds later I pull the throttle again a bit - totally dead - coast to a stop.

I check the battery - 12.4 - needs a recharge according to the battery shop - I just go ahead and buy a new one anyway since I wanted to replace it after a few years.  New one - no dice.  No lights - no anything. 

Now I'm in figure it out mode.  Any help would be awesome my excellent pros!   ;)
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 04:25:26 am
Sounds like you had a positive wire come in contact with metal (touching ground) Best check the wiring from each component as it comes out of the various harnesses and check for any pinching. Did you recently work on the bike, perhaps remove things and inadvertently move around the wiring? You may have pinched some wires upon reassembly. Check all those areas and you may find the problem. Take your time, and start with the simple and work towards the more complex.  You'll get it sorted :)

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 04:30:54 pm
My money is with the whack from the mail box, possibly loose wire at ammeter?

Afro Samurai

• Bulleteer
  • Afro Samurai
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:57:27 pm
just taking a wild swing.. .

didnt hit the primary or anything?... no hard jarring enough to screw up the alternator stator or positioning?.. again.. a wild swing..

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:27:15 pm
My money is with the whack from the mail box, possibly loose wire at ammeter?
That's where my mind was going also.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:07:35 am
12.4 volts isn't ideal, but it is not enough to cause the bike to die, unless it's an unstable battery.  My guys guess is something either got pinched or pulled loose when you impacted with the mailbox.  If I'D focus my initial attention on the side that took the impact.

Btw   Sorry to hear you got cut off, it's never a fun time.  Hope your arm is ok.

Scottie
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:48:44 am by Scottie J »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 10:00:28 pm
Could this happen if either of those fuses went dead?  The ones inside the metal box on the left side of the frame?  I looked at them but they seemed ok.  Not sure though.  I have to wait until the weekend to dig into this so I figured I'd ask that too.  My money is on loose wiring - ground pulling free or something like you guys mentioned --- maybe quite easy to fix.  I hope!
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:45:56 pm
I'm going to agree with Cafeman on this one.  I had something similar recently, it turned out to be a red wire in the nacelle rubbing the insulation off the wire and shorting to the inside of the nacelle.  Yours could be that or some other pinched location.  I also would inspect the ammeter wires, see if they are securely fitted.

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 09:45:02 pm
I'm going to agree with Cafeman on this one.  I had something similar recently, it turned out to be a red wire in the nacelle rubbing the insulation off the wire and shorting to the inside of the nacelle.  Yours could be that or some other pinched location.  I also would inspect the ammeter wires, see if they are securely fitted.

I'm going to guess that "nacelle" means the metal shell that houses the headlight, ammeter, speedo and all the wires below my key?   :)  Just havent seen that word used before. 
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 09:46:07 pm
I'm going to guess that "nacelle" means the metal shell that houses the headlight, ammeter, speedo and all the wires below my key?   :)  Just havent seen that word used before.
Yes, it is sometimes called that.
And it is sometimes also referred to as the "casquette".
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 06:10:33 pm
Ok... I found what I think is the problem.  There is a 15A fuse under the seat in that little black plastic box.  I had a spare in there so replaced the totally snapped old one.  Hook it all up and wam - power!   Started right up.  So I took her for a spin.  100 yards down the road - ammeter goes apeshit again and she's dead.  The fuse I replaced the old one with - blew too.  So... I have a turn signal light out on the back left - otherwise all is the same and nothing major has happened.  When I hit that mailbox - it was my shoulder - not the bike - so how anything got hosed I have no idea.

Do fuses blow like this much?  It must be off balance on power somewhere - I cant find a single wire out of order - ammeter wiring is solid.  /shrug.

Would using a 20A fuse in that 15A spot be a problem?  - IF - I keep blowing fuses?

Arrrgg... though this was fixed.   Back to get another fuse.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:13:56 pm by Phlakaton »
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 06:17:10 pm
Somewhere there is a hot wire intermittently touching a ground.
There is a strong chance that it is in the wiring inside the casquette, and likely that the wires to the ammeter are touching ground from vibrating loose or something. The ammeter wires are a common problem. But it might be somewhere else. You have to find it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 06:36:40 pm
Thank you Ace... the search continues.   :(
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 06:37:35 pm
For the hell of it - tried a 20A fuse - it blew too.  haha.  Thank you Ace... the search continues.   :(
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 06:56:49 pm
I had a ammeter lead come loose and go to ground inside the headlight bucket.  Blew a 20a fuse that is inline to the battery.  Because I did not have any pilot lights, turn signals, etc, I knew it was a power fuse. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames