Author Topic: Stupid chain question  (Read 1306 times)

Lane

• Scooter
on: September 30, 2013, 11:48:44 pm
If I go into a Honda, Yamaha, or whoever dealer, what do I ask for to get a chain for my bullet?  I'm talking about the chain to the rear wheel (drive?).

Is it a generic type chain and I've got to know the length?  Is there a recommended type that may be better than the stock chain or is it good enough?  I have the classic model with the AVL.

Looks like that's more than just one question, huh?    ;D

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 04:44:34 am
I'm not sure how many links are in your chain but the chain size is a #530.

The first number is the pitch or distance from roller to roller given in eights of an inch so the 5 represents 5/8 inches.
The second number is the width of the rollers measured in eights of an inch so the 3 indicates the rollers are 3/8 inches long.

To figure out the number of links in your chain use the master link (with the removable side link and split locking retainer) as number 1 and start counting until you get to the master link again.

There are a lot of good aftermarket chains available and IMO a standard chain will work just as good as one of the expensive O-ring or X-ring chains on a Royal Enfield. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:42:26 pm
I purchase a DID 530 -100 roller chain.
 Metal was thinker then the Indian made "Diamond" brand.

I needed 95 links, but went with 96 links.

Used a pneumatic powered (air tool) cutting wheel ( whiz wheel) to grind a chain pin down, then a hammer and punch to drive the pin out for 96 links left.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 02:54:49 pm

Used a pneumatic powered (air tool) cutting wheel ( whiz wheel) to grind a chain pin down, then a hammer and punch to drive the pin out for 96 links left.

+1  Get a chain next size longer than you need and use a Dremel tool or die grinder to grind the head off the pin you need to cut the chain at then punch it through.  Make sure you have a master link with your chain!
Any name brand chain is better than the OEM.  You don't need an "O-ring" or "X-ring" chain and may find some are too wide and hit the back of the inner primary at the transmission sprocket. Pick a Japanese brand and you're guaranteed a pretty good one.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 12:36:34 pm

+1

I picked up a new Tsubaki chain locally this spring for $60.  I've put over 1500 miles on it and still hasn't needed an adjustment.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King