Author Topic: Riding like an Indian.  (Read 1548 times)

Dazzler

• Scooter
on: September 30, 2013, 10:27:57 am
Yesterday I rode to Sydney from the South Coast, a journey of around 2,1/2 hours, to participate in the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride.  The idea is to dress dapper, jump on a cafe racer or bobber or classic, and do an extensive loop through the high points of the city spreading merriment and gentlemanly good cheer along the way.  All in the cause of raising money for prostate cancer research.  Anyway, around 500 gentlemanly and gentlewomanly spirits  turned up, of which about a dozen had a Royal Enfield as their mount.  Riding in a throng of kindred souls all dressed to the nines and aboard crackling, burbling, thumping - in short, emanating, motorcycles is an experience that lives and lingers long.  Homeward bound, after a long day in the saddle I just wanted to compress time and be at home so I lived large and let the beast have her head.  Thoroughly warmed up she was happy to cruise at 100 kph or 62 in the other measure.  Travelling up inclines I lent forward to lower wind resistance and without changing the throttle position noticed the speed move up to 110 or 68.  All well and good.  Nice to know that kind of riding is available when required.  Now to the point of this post.  Today, the day after, presented the opportunity to ride again.  Temperature around 29 C, still air, light cloud cover kind of like a very high mist which created stunning diffuse light in the early late afternoon - kind of like India on the sultry southern plains, without the pollution.  I broke a few rules dressing light and daringly carefree and took a route through country back roads interspersed with hamlets and a few twistees.  No rush, no hurry, no time to be anywhere.  The pace of India.  Most of the bike riding I saw in India, not just Enfields, is performed in a leisurely manner.  Bringing everything back to this slowness brought the Enfield alive.  Just the steady thump and the sensation of proceeding with implacable intent.  Being amongst a cohort of Triumphs, Guzzis, Ducatis and a host of other exotic motorcycles the day before had set my covetous heart aflame.  Today stilled my restless soul.  How could I ever stray! 

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:10 pm
Nicely put! Was a good read. And indeed, today's weather was perfect for riding here in Sydney. I myself took the Enfield out 3 times just thumping around all over the place, lol. It is quite fun just riding slowly, absorbing the surroundings, listening to the nice Enfield thump. Giving it some throttle here and there  ;D
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 01:03:57 pm
jvs

congratulations  ;) your now a grand gear head! 8)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:20:44 pm
Good old Enfields. Best for smiles per mile than anything else!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:41:55 am
Very entertaining and inspiring story!

The part that got me the most was how you mentioned the slow pace of India. I'm living in a city now where the pace is anything but slow, and I don't like feeling rushed while riding my emerald delight  8)
2013 B5 Bullet 500