Author Topic: Installing brake pads  (Read 2070 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 29, 2013, 09:55:22 am
Is this hard?
My brakes are almost non existent but waiting for pads from hitchcocks. Hoping they're not too hard to install...doing both the front and rear.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:58:07 pm
Hey sector how ya doin ? I'm not far behind you on this so please let us know how you get on mate. Cheers D.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 04:43:03 pm
Is this hard?
My brakes are almost non existent but waiting for pads from hitchcocks. Hoping they're not too hard to install...doing both the front and rear.

Front ones much easier -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4EL2-4EXHo

than rear ones -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASD9nFLSbmE
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:52:58 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 06:39:51 pm
Awesome thanks singh.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:12:31 pm
As the videos show, the fronts are a snap, the rears, not so much! Be sure to lock the rear brake down before you tighten all the nuts.
He didn't really show how to get the brake shoes off. grab the shoes in the center position of the linings and rotate them up 90o where they are parallel to each other then lift them out then remove the springs. Replacing them, install the springs as they fit on the assemble brake. Place the brake shoes parallel like you took them out, slip them over the can and pin, then flatten them out.
Bare
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 10:43:40 pm
i love you guys, thanks heaps. got a workshop manual coming too so. you know its always hard the first time, but so satisfying to do :)
Singh your videos are unreal. so nice of you to take the time to do this to help people out.
In in regards to the wheels removal. ive taken my wheels off a few times and to take the back wheel off only i just get 2 bricks under each foot of the center stand. this allows heaps of room to slide the back wheel out without removing the front.  i think its less work than taking both wheels off!
Bare when you say to lock the rear brake down, are you talking about the nut that bolts the brake arm on? I am replacing this arm with a longer one also.
i read somewhere else about not getting the rear brake seated evenly. Can this only happen when you adjust the brake arm pivot nut? what about if you are tightening the chain and you undo all those wheel nuts to be able to slide the wheel back and forth? Does this affect the rear brake?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:07:40 pm by Sectorsteve »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 12:37:07 am
I'm sure he's talking about fully tightening the brake tension adjusting nut on the rod that extends from the brake lever back to the arm on the rear brake.

Doing that will expand the brake shoes and centralize them with the brake drum.  After this is done you can tighten the big nuts that hold the brake assembly onto the rear fork.

Once everything is tight, back off the adjustment nut to release the brake and then adjust it to get the brake lever travel you like.

Because it is necessary to loosen all of the nuts that hold the rear wheel and brake assembly when you adjust the rear drive chain, this expanding the brake shoe operation is needed any time the chain is adjusted.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 02:00:16 am
I would also recommend to lube the cam of rear brake, as it passes through the hole in cover plate and connects to the adjusting lever on the other side. It is generally well greased at factory. I think it was not shown in the video. 

Sometimes it is hard to put the brake shoes back in place with the wear-indicator pointing in right direction. May need an extra pair of hands just for a few seconds for that. Some bikes don't have that indicator and then it does not matter.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:41:01 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 09:49:50 am
Singh is king  ;)

Thanks for your videos.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 11:37:23 am
Singh is king  ;)

Thanks for your videos.

King Singh

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 03:44:14 pm
Thanks Bare. I haven't gotten in there yet but forewarned is forearmed. Cheers mate.