Author Topic: engine sump filter leak  (Read 1972 times)

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
on: September 26, 2013, 06:53:20 pm
What would cause the sump filter to leak? I've tightened to screws and repositioned the casing but it's still slowlllyyyy dripping oil onto the sidewalk.
2013 B5 Bullet 500

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:10:32 pm
Give your dealer a buzz, i think this is a known issue. I believe the 'o' ring is slightly undersized for the task.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 07:52:14 pm
It is not uncommon for even BMW's to mark their territory.
   My standard operating procedure is to let it drip dry much as possible during an oil change. Then run a rag up into the case to sop up any additional oil. Having done this, I use Brake or Carb cleaner to clean the mating surfaces, then apply Silicone Gasket Cement to one surface & reassemble. I let the machine sit 12 hours for the gasket cement to cure before refilling. This has worked for me even with Synthetic Oil, Even on my old Ural (for awhile anyway). My 2010 R.E. G5 Deluxe is oil tight owing to this technique.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:01:14 pm
What would cause the sump filter to leak? I've tightened to screws and repositioned the casing but it's still slowlllyyyy dripping oil onto the sidewalk.

Which one are we talking about ?  The oil filter cap on the right side cover, or the screen cap on the bottom of the case ?   Both have O rings.... or should. And in good condition, should not leak.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:26:19 pm
I may be corrected GHG but i believe he is talking about the filter screen flanged cover in the sump, i was when i wrote my reply.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 01:40:37 pm
I may be corrected GHG but i believe he is talking about the filter screen flanged cover in the sump, i was when i wrote my reply.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking as well.  The O ring could be pinched.... Or It just got lost in the sauce from the last oil change, and forgotten to be put back in ?

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 04:55:29 pm
Yes the filter underneath is what I'm talking about. Pretty sure I left the o-ring on (didn't look like it needed replacing), so hopefully this is the issue.

Btw, I did my first oil changes at 320 miles, second at 750, and I'm approaching 1200 now. How long should I wait to do my third?
2013 B5 Bullet 500

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 05:15:08 pm
  Certainly doesn't hurt to change the oil now, especially if you have to drop that screen to check the O ring. I'm thinking you could probably source a new one at a local plumbing supply or at a Nappa.... Even harbor freight has good O ring set's with various sizes.  I usually coat the O rings with Silicone brake Grease , before I install them.... just a light coating will do. 

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 11:35:08 pm
If Royal Enfield designed the O ring groove to the standard depth there is only .012-.020 squeeze on that packing.
If it is at the low end of the tolerance stack (.012), a very small piece of dirt could easily keep the packing from compressing which will cause it to leak.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 04:55:57 pm
+1.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 10:13:35 pm
If you go by the book on oil changes, 3600 miles is what the book says. Worked for me.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com