Author Topic: Scissor Clutch Cable/Lever Knuckle Mod  (Read 2009 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 21, 2013, 10:12:07 pm
So I have one of the worst clutches ever manufactured.  Yes I am speaking of the notorious Enfield scissor clutch.  I've been having trouble with my clutch lately, partly due to my oil blockage/spewing event a month or so ago that with a PCV on the crank breather fail that forced all of the crankcase oil into the primary.  And partly due to the fact RE uses a stamped steel POS clip to attach the clutch cable to the clutch actuator arm.

Observe Specimen #35
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/1186/Clutch_%28Scissor_Type%29

Lovely, eh?  Well, this part has been failing on me for the last month or so.  I've been having a HELL of a time trying to get my clutch adjusted, not sure what the hell was going on.  As it turns out, the clutch cable ferrel end has been pulling thru that cheesy metal clip until yesterday morning when the ferrel pulled completely thru the clip shearing it into 2 pieces.  I discovered this as I was approaching my first rush hour traffic stoppage of the morning.    :o   Luckily traffic only actually stopped once and I was able to ride on the shoulder until traffic was moving again and could squeeze back on.  Exiting the freeway, the off ramp light at the bottom turned green as I was about 100' away.   :)  And then as I needed to turn left onto the side street into work where there is normally a 30-60 second wait to cross...  Only 3 cars!  I made it all the way to the shop without having to stop until I parked the bike, speed shifting the whole way of course.    :D

Anyways, I didn't feel like ordering a POS $1.50 clip from England just to have to wait a week+ for it to arrive, so I went into work this morning to do some custom fabrication.  I had been thinking about it and had a general idea of what I needed to do, so when I got there I just started looking around the shop to see what kinds/types of steel we had laying around.  Upon my searches I found some 1/2" stainless steel tubing.  PERFECT!  I first made a prototype that was mangled from multiple bendings, but still functional, and then I made another with a little more finesse. I cut about a 2" section of tubing and then crushed it in a bench vise until I had the proper thickness.  Next I drilled a hole to slide the cable ferrel thru and then another at the other end for the pin to slide thru to attach to the clutch lever.  Then I took a cut off wheel and notched out the sides for the clutch to travel.  Viola!  A stainless steel clutch cable knuckle that will NEVER rust, break or bend!  I also took brake cleaner and sprayed out all of my friction plates to get the engine oil off of them.

If anyone has had this problem and is interested in me making one for you, just let me know.  I can make it up and ship it in an envelope for $5 +shipping.

BTW  The clutch now feels better than it ever has.  No slippage at all.

Scottie
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:16:02 pm by Scottie J »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King