Author Topic: I told an Enfield lie today  (Read 3147 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
on: September 25, 2013, 06:25:12 pm
On the way to work a cement truck driver leaned out the window and asked what year my AVL was.  This happens about once a week.  I yelled, through my helmet and over both our engines, "2007!"

He replied, "It's a 70's?"

Without hesitation, I nodded yes.

TECHNICALLY "I" am from the 70's so it's not a massive lie, but I also didn't correct him.  Why?  I don't know... I guess I've had the conversation so many times I just figured a nod would get me out of it. But I feel as if I need to confess here, at the Church of Enfield, and fully accept whatever karma points deduction the Gods deem just.

I feel as if the weight has already lifted.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 07:11:38 pm
You are forgiven brother boggy.    :)

Besides, it really isn't that much of a lie.  If you put your bike next to a 70's Bullet most people couldn't tell the difference anyways.   :D

Scottie

2001 Harley Davidson Road King

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:42:20 pm
That's true.  To be fair his question may have been, "What year is that styled after?," and I just missed the last part.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 02:32:01 am
I tell 'em the first thing comes to mind.Hell with 'em.

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:55:12 pm
I suspect my Enfield owners in the US get this question.  I was in the Barbershop today and there was an Englishman there discovered I had a RE and he started talking about his and buying it directly from the Birmingham factory.  I told him mine was an 2008, but for all practical purposes was just a modified 70's bike.  I'm sure the purists will disagree, but it looks old, there it must be old.  I get thumbs up where ever go.  That's why riding this bike is fun.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 05:07:43 pm
No harm done. Sometimes I get tired of answering the question about my 2007 iron barrel and I just say "1955." They often glaze over when I explain why it's a 2007 that's mechanically (mostly) 1955.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 07:29:02 pm
Yup. Or they think it's like a Triumph.  Retro.  It aint retro if it's actually just unchanged.

I get the thumbs up too. I remember the very first one on Enfield.  Now I "give" the thumbs up to sweet rides.  Before I wouldn't because I didn't want people to think I was being a condescending jerk, but now I get it.  I know that if I give the thumbs up, the owner of the vehicle will actually get it.  So like Youtube, I throw out the thumbs up.

The most common site though, is to look over when at a traffic light and see someone just starring.  If they see you see them, you get the nod.  We've all gotten the nod.  That's sweet.  No conversation, just a silent acknowledgment that they-know you-know they-think your ride is sweet.

But man, the "what year," question... Maybe I'll just start answering that with a thumbs up too.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:04:40 pm
Lying about the build year would sure make things easier. Having to tell the whole drawn out story about the whole history (yada yada yada) has me a bit worn out. This should be standard operating procedure unless the person is familiar with the brand already. What I hate the most is when someone replies that the bike is a great looking reproduction when you explain to them that it is a newer model. From this point on I am going to lie through my teeth. I feel better already!
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 09:26:14 pm
The most common site though, is to look over when at a traffic light and see someone just starring.  If they see you see them, you get the nod.  We've all gotten the nod.  That's sweet.  No conversation, just a silent acknowledgment that they-know you-know they-think your ride is sweet.

A lot of times other bikers will pull up next to me at a stop light, give the bike a once-over, and give me the thumbs up. Then we chat for a second and it's go time.

Sometimes when I'm feeling frisky I'll roll up next a Harley guy, give his bike the once-over, wave my hand and say "meh." They usually laugh.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 11:37:33 pm
" basically it's a 1955 titled in '06 with some modern parts on it like 12 volt electricals"
No matter where you go, there, you are.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 11:47:14 pm
" basically it's a 1955 titled in '06 with some modern parts on it like 12 volt electricals"

That's perfect!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 12:43:03 am
My quick comment to someone who doesn't even know what a Royal Enfield is, is,
"They've been making Royal Enfields for over 100 years and this is basically a unchanged 1955 Bullet with a 2009 engine in it."

That usually satisfies them and gets them into the, "Back in 1964 I had a BSA single......" mode.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 05:55:39 pm
I was sitting at a stop sign off US290 here in Texas, when a group of 50's Thunderbirds went rolling by.  As they passed me they all honked their horns, waved, thumbs up, smiled big toothy grins.  I did the same.  I would never get that kind of attention riding a Jap bike, maybe not even a Harley.  Wish mine were not all dismantled now.  I'm getting itchy for some "thumbs up".
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 07:28:18 pm
I was sitting at a stop sign off US290 here in Texas, when a group of 50's Thunderbirds went rolling by.  As they passed me they all honked their horns, waved, thumbs up, smiled big toothy grins.  I did the same.  I would never get that kind of attention riding a Jap bike, maybe not even a Harley.  Wish mine were not all dismantled now.  I'm getting itchy for some "thumbs up".

Yep Sir! Since mine died and I'm riding a Ricer no one stops and talks my leg off in gas stations and parking lots.  It was a little irritating when they did, but now I almost miss it.  Almost....
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 04:58:27 am
I enjoy telling the story of how I have an Indian, but it's not really an Indian, it's a Royal Enfield.  But it's an Indian.  But I have to admit there are sometimes I'm like "look, I appreciate your comments, but I have shit to do."

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King