Author Topic: Fine tuning clutch  (Read 2468 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
on: September 25, 2013, 03:38:08 pm
Hey, I'm having a little trouble with the math on this one.

My clutch feels great - nice and light but when I first start the bike in the morning and drop it into first, the bike will lurch forward, sometimes causing me to stall.  Once I let it warm up, flick through the gears a few times, it will stop lurching but I still seems like it slaps a little hard when I drop it into first.

When I adjust my clutch hand-lever by winding it out towards the headlight to tighten the cable, it becomes difficult to shift with my foot - It becomes tougher to change gears.

Any ideas? Should I be tightening at the lower adjustment? I feel I'll get the same result.  I do have 20w50 in the primary, but then again I always have and haven't had this issue.  This is a new cable from the Spring but I think it's good and stretched now.

Thanks.
Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 03:52:59 pm
I'm not familiar with the clutch on the AVLs.  If it has a clutch pushrod perhaps it is out of adjustment or worn to where it is now causing a problem.  Again, I'm not sure.  JM2C

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:51:14 pm
Before you start it put it in neutral, pull in the clutch then kick it once or twice.  This will break the clutch loose and you shouldn't get the clunk.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 06:07:52 pm
AH... I hadn't thought of that.  Awesome.  I'll try.  Thanks.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 03:40:23 am
Before you start it put it in neutral, pull in the clutch then kick it once or twice.  This will break the clutch loose and you shouldn't get the clunk.

Didn't seem to make a difference on my way home.  I stalled out twice going from N to 1st until I let it warm up a few extra minutes.  It shifts really smooth at the foot control, and finding neutral is a sure thing at a dead stop but it thunks into 1st a little rough and I can feel it lurch.  Less so once it's warm but I ended up tightening the hand lever adjustment so I could get home without it thunking into 1st at stops.  But like I said, it adds some resistance to the shift lever making shifting tough and N almost impossible at stops (rolling is fine).

I suppose the first order of business is to readjust the cable from scratch - Then I can start head scratching properly.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 04:26:50 am
Hi boggy,

Have you adjusted the clutch throw at the gearbox?  I just replaced my cable about 500 miles ago and made sure to do this; I just: made sure all the adjusters are in all the way loosening the cable, then open the inspection hatch, and bottomed out the screw gently, back off by a 1/4 of turn.  Then retighten everything. 
N almost impossible at stops (rolling is fine).

Yep... i think thats just the RE clutch / gearbox
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra