Author Topic: 2013 Bullet Clasic lighting problem  (Read 2264 times)

Velo

• Scooter
on: September 25, 2013, 02:25:51 am
When arriving home on my 2013 Bullet Classic the other day I found neither high or low beam of my headlight worked . All other lights work including the warning high beam flasher as long as the yellow button is held in . I removed the headlight & verified that both beams work when connected to a battery . I checked the wire connectors that plug onto the headlight with a volt meter and have no voltage except on the high beam wire when the warning flash button is held . All fuses also check out O/K . I checked all the wire connectors that I could locate on the bike & found nothing loose or disconnected . I have a feeling the problem may be with a relay but which one . I need help if anybody has an idea what is wrong .  Thanks , Velo

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 05:07:50 am
It's just a guess but I suspect either the hi/lo beam selector switch is defective or the wire that supplies the power to it is loose/disconnected.

The fact that the High Beam flasher works indicates the ground wire to the headlight is good so the problem has to be on the power side.

A 2013 RE should still be under warranty so take it to the dealer and let him sort it out.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Velo

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 01:54:06 pm
Thanks for the suggestion----I've looked at that but will have another look . I'd do the warranty run but it is a 4 hour trip to the dealer one way . I was hoping I could solve it myself .

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 02:07:53 pm
Has the headlight jumper been removed and the switch left in the off position?

Velo

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:24:25 pm
not sure what you mean by the jumper wire. I have tried all switches in every position & nothing has been tampered with. It worked & all of a sudden it stopped working .  Thanks for the suggestion .

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 11:35:41 pm
Unless they have changed the wiring, there is no relay in the headlight circuit.

Your asking what the jumper wire is tells me you still have it installed.
This jumper is RE's method of meeting the DOT import requirements that insists the headlight should always be on whenever the ignition switch is on.

In the headlight casquette behind the headlight you will see a short bundle of wires with red connectors on both ends.  This is the jumper.
If you unplug the jumpers red ends from the white connectors and then plug the white connectors together your headlight/parking light/off switch on the right handlebar will work as it does in the rest of the world.  That is to say, you can actually turn your headlight off with the engine running.
I suppose there is a small possibility that this jumper has a fault in it so you might try removing it and plugging the white connectors together.  Then, try your headlight with the r.h. switch positioned in the headlight ON position.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Velo

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 02:13:39 am
I found the problem . It was a bad high/low beam switch . It looks like the factory did a poor solder job & in the process overheated the plastic switch body . The contact is spring loaded but was jamed due to the plastic surround being melted. It is obvious that it was a poor solder job.