Author Topic: Removing Electric Start  (Read 7090 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 06:19:58 pm
I would like to mount the coil in the right box but that's full of tools, patch kit, inflator, etc. The left has the battery, so I'm kinda out of space. That's the original Lucas coil with sticker and almost rubbed through spot (remember that prob?)from the original air cleaner. It's odd to see how puzzled lookers get at the sight of it.   
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 07:33:55 pm
I would like to mount the coil in the right box but that's full of tools, patch kit, inflator, etc. The left has the battery, so I'm kinda out of space. That's the original Lucas coil with sticker and almost rubbed through spot (remember that prob?)from the original air cleaner. It's odd to see how puzzled lookers get at the sight of it. [/b]
yea but...   
   are they puzzled that the Lucas coil is still there or
     why you haven't changed it??? ;)
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 08:14:08 pm
Yes to both  ;D, also there is some amazement that Lucas is still in business! But I may make this point moot soon anyway. Many years ago (07 I think) I converted to VW- Mercedes one piece points. Now I'm looking at using a weed eater ignition lump adapted to the distributor. Just have to do a few tests to see if it puts out well enough at half speed, particularly starting velocities. Edit: I know since I have never seen this done before, there may be a damn good reason. Any info would be appreciated. Now back to removing that e-start... ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:27:15 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 12:41:48 am
The last of the parts removal started today. Out went the starter motor cable, the solenoid and the rest of the cables. Next comes the re-assembly.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 12:50:15 am
  Last night I got the last set up finished. Originally, I opened the outer gearbox to see what the problem was. Put it back together with a new gasket and added gear oil.
  I put two gallons of fresh gas into the empty tank. I checked for spark - ok. I watched the transparent inline filter fill with gas. Choke on, TDC past using the decompressor and gave it some kicks. Finally I got a gasp from the motor. I pulled the plug and let the cylinder clear. Put the plug in and tried starting without the choke, and I got a cough and a spit. Getting better. Gave it another kick and I got a weak idle. I couldn't gas it. As it warmed up I was getting some spits at about 1/8 throttle. After the motor warmed up, the spits stopped. I'll consider a slightly larger pilot jet on my new flat slide Mikuni.
  On the test ride there was a lot of useable power. The Bullet pulled hard out of corners and uphills there was a strong throttle response.
  It's been a lot of steps to get this machine set up. It finally came together. Thanks to everyone here that helped me along.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration