Author Topic: 05 military rear shock replacement  (Read 1092 times)

wardsguy

• Neophyte
on: October 20, 2013, 07:41:58 pm
Greetings all-

Ron Cowan here. I am ready to replace my rear shocks, but have discovered a potential issue. It appears there is not enough room to remove the upper nut without removing the rear fender??? Can this be right? The nut is installed from inside out. After removing the domed nut, and washer and trying to push the bolt from outside in it hits the fender before it clears the shock.  Can this be right? The bolt may be a bit longer than some to accommodate the metal pannier brackets, but still. I am tempted to remove pannier brackets, cut the bolt off flush with outside of shock mount, push the remaining portion thru and then install new bolt from outside facing in. There is plenty of room for cap nut and washer behind shock mount.
Any other suggestions from the group?
Thanks in advance.

Ron

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 09:40:50 pm
The whole rear fender assembly can tilt up from the rear. Follow the rear most fender stays on either side of the bike to a pair of nuts. You'll see that the stay has a sort of half moon shaped cap at the end. Loosen those nuts and you should be able to tip the whole apparatus up. It's made that way to facilitate rear wheel removal. Hope this helps.
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 03:12:12 pm
The panniers had to come off on my '07 Military.  The fender may or may not swing up, it wouldn't and I had to remove it.  This seems to be an individual fit thing on some of these.
Watch the tail light wiring.  There is a plug on the left near the front of the fender that you should undo to keep strain off of it even if you can just lift the fender.  It will probably disconnect on it's own if you don't undo it yourself.  Best not to break it.
Once the fender is out of the way, you can put the bolt in from the outside with the nuts near the tire to facilitate future work.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

wardsguy

• Neophyte
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 12:57:00 pm
Thanks for all the tips. I ended up cutting the bolts off flush to the mount, removing by tapping remaining portion of bolt towards fender, then installing new shocks from the outside. The new Hagons are such an improvement over stock.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:23:52 pm
Everyone should have Hagons. The stock shocks are pretty horrible.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com