Author Topic: Removing Electric Start  (Read 7098 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 25, 2013, 02:15:28 am
I've opened the primary, removed the clutch plates and stator. Looks like I'll need to remove the rotor bolt and the clutch center bolt. Do I need to remove a circular spring #9?
Here's a link from Pete Sindal = "However, if clutch hub removal will not be required (as in replacment of primary chain, and/or engine sprocket) the clutch basket retaining spring (9) may be removed, which will free the basket to be withdrawn off the hub (along with primary chain and engine sprocket) leaving the hub on the gearbox mainshaft."
There are two of these circular springs. I removed one.
    Will I have to machine off the third gear from the primary driving sprocket? Here's a pic.

I finally got around to removing my electric start on my 2004 Bullet ES iron barrel. My excuse is my back got grumpy at the end of July. It was so bad, I didn't know if I had taken my last ride. I'm doing physical therapy and doing better. I've done some riding on my Honda and today I started on the ES bad sprag removal.
Cheers,
Bill

ACE Motors - sales & administration

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 05:48:15 am
if you have no reason to take off the hub you can remove 9 and just pull the basket off with the chain. If you take off the nut you can remove the whole clutch basket and hub as an assembly and you won't need to remove 9. Are you switching your inner primary cover to a kick start only cover? if not you don't need to cut off the drive gear from the front sprocket. If you are swapping to a Kick start cover I don't know if you need to cut the gear, but thinking back to when I was having trouble getting the right sprocket for the English made crank in my Fireball I think you might have to cut off the gear...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:14:40 am by RGT »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:26:43 pm
"If you take off the nut you can remove the whole clutch basket and hub as an assembly and you won't need to remove 9."
  Aha, I'll keep #9 on.
I'll just use the old primary case.
Thanks, RGT.
I'll go ahead and remove the starter.
Bill

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:48:29 pm
The latest hang up is getting the engine sprocket out. The duplex drive sprockets move with the single drive sprocket that drives the electric start gear. The clutch basket and the engine sprocket can slide outward, but the engine sprocket runs into the outer of the two electric start gears. How can I get around it?
  I bought the digital Sindal manual, but it doesn't seem to have how to remove the ES model primary past the double sprockets for the ES.
Here's some pics... The 'manual' for this seems to be the forum!
Cheers,
Bill

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:50:45 pm
OOps. Here's the other pic...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:47:27 pm
Doesn't the gear teeth on the crankshaft sprocket engage the teeth on the starter drive gear?

The pictures seem to show the starter drive gear that is in the group of gears that connect to the starter motor, outboard of the gear on the crankshaft.
I would expect it to be in line with that gear.

If it was in line with the crankshaft gear that would put it behind the duplex chain and its sprocket.  It would also align the teeth of the two gears so that the crankshaft gear along with the duplex sprocket and chain could just slide out.

Try rotating the gear in the upper left side of the photo to align its teeth with the crankshaft gear and then push it back towards the center of the bike.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 11:36:35 pm
The outside gear engages the starter motor. there is another gear with the sprag clutch inside that gear engaging the gear on the crank

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 11:39:15 pm
That seems the way to do it, but... there are two driven sprockets of the ES, an inner and an outer. The inner engages the engine sprocket and the outer is out of sync 'time' with the inner. The engine sprocket slides toward me (out) then gets stopped by the outer driven sprocket. The gaps aren't lined up.
"Try rotating the gear in the upper left side of the photo to align its teeth with the crankshaft gear and then push it back towards the center of the bike."  I did that, but the gap in the teeth doesn't line up like the inner gear. I know, it's weird.
Bill

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 11:54:46 pm
In this pic, the camera is on the right side, in front of the barrel, looking left to the opening where the end of the starter motor was. The photo shows two Allen screws I removed as well. I can see a third one, harder to access between the inner primary and the crankcase. That one is still in there.
  Problem: the inner starter gear is fine. It engages the engine sprocket. As the engine sprocket moves out, the second starter gear isn't giving me a gap to slide out through. The inner has the gap, the outer always has a tooth in the way. They turn together.
Bill

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 11:55:23 pm
Once more with photo..

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 07:16:03 am
I am drawing a blank on how I did it but I can't remember there being any issue in removing the primary drive? can you remove the engine side cover on the back of the primary? I can't remember if you can access all the bolts with the inner primary cover still on the bike, but if you can that would let the drive gear come off the shaft....

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 02:06:52 pm
Your clutch, engine sproket,chain etc.  should slide out with the gears lined up. Then pull the primary by removing the allen head screws and the nut from the stud on the gearcase if it's 5 speed. Then the sprag cover to remove the sprag and gears.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 02:40:43 pm
ERC - That's what I was expecting. But, the engine sprocket and clutch move easily, but hangs up on the outer gear wheel (toward me) because the gaps are not in 'sync' with the inner gear wheel.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 03:38:59 pm
The two gears are only locked together in one direction. You can turn the outer gear, one direction, to line things up.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 03:51:34 pm
Thanks, motomataya, I'll give that a go.