Author Topic: America's Cup Races  (Read 1272 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 24, 2013, 11:07:49 pm
The Americans have tied up the America's Cup racing in a couple of fantastic races today. Tomorrow, 1 race for the finale. This has been the longest America's Cup match in history. It has been some great racing. The Americans have come back from an 8-1 deficit in the points and look pretty good for a chance to win tomorrow. I hope some of you guys got to see the matches.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:28:54 am
I think its great that the US may recapture the cup, but I wish they would bring back real boats that fly real sails.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 12:59:26 am
Bare - it's fun to watch in its way, but I feel about these boats the way you feel about modern Japanese bikes - no soul.  If the hydraulics fail, you can't tack -   :o  c'mon!

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 01:46:45 am
Today's races were edge of the seat watching.  Over 40mph and close to 50mph at times across SF Bay is amazing.  USA has won 7 straight races to tie it up.  Tomorrow is one and done.  I guess that's what 100 million dollars will get you.  Carbon fiber aircraft style wing catamarans. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 08:46:09 pm
I used to race Hobie Cats so I do have a bit of affinity for these boats, although the old ones, particularly the previous turn of the century stuff were really beautiful. But the monohulls had pretty much maxed out any performance gains to be made when the boat is hampered by the hull speed no matter what you do. The last America's Cup with the trimarans was interesting and had to be even more expensive than the catamarans.
The downwind runs on a reach are certainly a lot more exciting than the old spinnaker driven boats. The wings are quite effective. The lay lines appear to be a lot narrower than with the cloth sails, too.
The cost of these things makes Formula 1 look like a bunch of pikers!
However, I love the head on view of the cats when they look like the original War of the Worlds' Martian machines comin' at ya!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 09:48:47 pm
What a final...top speed of 41knts.  After the 2nd leg turn, not really much of a race although those crosses at mid tack were close, close.  Go USA.  I wonder what the designers will come up with in 4 years? Disappointing that the cost and design eliminates most of the world from close competition. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:51:11 pm by rvcycleguy »
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 10:05:09 pm
 IT'S OVER, ORACLE WON!!!!
After an 8-1 points deficit, the Americans came back winning 8 races in a row to take the Cup, while the Kiwis were sitting on match point the whole time!
This has been won of the greatest comeback in sports history.
THe Kiwis took the hole shot leading around the first mark and held it at the second mark with some back and forth lead changes. Going around the second the Kiwi's lost the advantage and were pretty well beaten the rest of the race. The final gap was 44 seconds.
The real reason for the win is about halfway through the races, the Oracle team found some extra boat speed and they just flat outran the Emirates boat. The best shot I saw  in the race was Oracle coming around the 3rd mark and completely flying a hull while up on the foils on the lee side. Now that was cool!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 01:00:09 am
There was one (count 'em) American in the winning crew.  The captain is from... you guessed it, New Zealand.  :o

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 01:25:10 am
Most of them were Kiwis and Aussies with a smattering of other nationalities. As you say, one American. But probably 100 million American dollars!  Guess you can get the best with money!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer