Author Topic: Conti Review  (Read 9583 times)

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 04:41:16 am
His idea is that motorcyclists have become totally unattached to their bikes while riding because almost every bike out there can easily out-perform its rider. He thinks that there is a hunger for a bike where the rider is the controlling and limiting element. He believes that this allows you to become one with the a forgiving  bike. I think he is absolutely right. How the market will react is another matter.

I agree with this completely. This applies to me, having come from riding a Benelli TNT and an MZ 1000 sport bikes. While I could ride them pretty fast in the mountains and get a good thrill, I was nowhere near tapping either bikes full potential, getting a few pucker moments, and lest I forget, breaking the law severely and not being a good example to the non-motorcyclist public (not riding like a real butthole, just fast, but in their eyes what's the difference) When riding those bikes at posted speeds it became instantly boring, just putting along was like idling through a parking lot, the bikes were completely out of their element. A complete waste. Bottom line, they belong on a track! But with the Enfield I have now, I thoroughly enjoy riding it at any speed: slow, through town, putting around, commuting, yet I can hit all those back roads and push it for all its worth for an exiting ride, and not be over the speed limit by much.....in most cases ;) The fact that the brakes won't stop it as fast as needed adds an element of excitement. The bike is more enjoyable more of the time, for me, vs. those other bikes I had. Best thing I did, buying the Enfield. And I'm certain I will be getting one of the GT's. All the important parts are there, in time there will be anything you want available to make it the way you want. It seems a great starting point to me, like a reviewer said, not all done served on a platter to consume, but ready to customize.  And I can't think of any bikes that have had this type of "rollout" ......Maybe the new Bonneville? But I don't think even that was this extensive. Can't wait to see it in person! :)

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: September 28, 2013, 05:35:11 am
I took a call from my Enfield dealer earlier in the week. They have a Continental GT demo bike in stock, and if fancied swinging by the shop on saturday (today!) then I could take it out for a spin....

I'm genuinely excited to see and ride the bike, given the interest it has generated. I'll report my impressions in due course.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 08:40:21 am
got a call from the dealer today and the interest in the cafe racer is very strong so deposits are being taken.
they are expected to land here in dec and registered roadworthy in jan 2014 - ride away $10500 - sounds good to me.
i honestly thought it would be closer to $12k so i'm happy

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 12:49:08 pm
Wildbill,  that's Aus dollars right?

If so... that's very good value indeed...just $500 more than the C5 when it came out!
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 28, 2013, 01:34:46 pm
Just finished a 30 minute test ride of the continental. My thoughts are:

The Conti feels very nimble and light, and seems to have more performance than the extra couple of BHP would suggest. The one I rode had 2500 miles on the clock, and so I could open her up a bit.  Gear change was slick, and the brakes felt strong, with the rear disk brake a real bonus. Front and rear suspension seem pretty well sorted. It got up to 65 or so mph pretty rapidly, faster than my Electra (G5), and found a nice twisty stretch of road to try the handling out on. The bike felt very 'flickable'. The riding posture initially felt cramped (I am not used to rear sets and clip-ons), but after a couple of miles it felt comfy. You definitely sit in the bike rather than on it.

Fit and finish are very good, the red paint job is deep and lustrous, with frame welding much neater than previously. The model I tried had an extra package including alloy rims and sports exhaust, both of which look like quality items.

The contentious yellow rear shock springs seemed to work visually when I saw the bike in the metal. I wouldn't mind them. In fact the only issue I had with finish was that the standard exhaust on the Conti has a horrible silver painted weld round the silencer just before the tip, where there is no way you could miss it. When I turned up at the dealer for my test ride, there were three folk waiting in front of me.  Everyone seemed equally baffled as to why such an ugly weld would be stuck in plain sight on an otherwise well finished bike.   Maybe Enfield are looking to sell lots of aftermarket exhausts!

Would I buy one? Definitely. But I would want to keep my Electra as well. They are both great, but quite different in terms of the riding experience.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #35 on: September 28, 2013, 01:41:13 pm
Nice ride report and evaluation!
Thanks!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #36 on: September 28, 2013, 02:13:39 pm
+1.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 28, 2013, 05:13:17 pm
Thanks Blairio for the ride report. Cafeman's post hit the nail on the head for me. I could have kept my old Iron Barrel and been perfectly happy. I could of bought a Honda 250r or even the CBR500 for less than my B5 and been perfectly happy. But just as Cafeman said there is nothing out there that provides the same feel that Enfields do. I have an area just north of my house with a series of snaky uphill bends posted at 30mph. I hit them at 50+ and just let the hill bleed off any excess speed, pure nirvana.
 This is what i think of every time i look at the finish flaws and suchlike on the B5 engine cases (maybe someone could clean or at least smooth the tooling out) and hand controls etc.
Robert & the Green B. 

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: September 28, 2013, 10:28:26 pm
Sure wish they had gotten here earlier. I still want one, but I'd still be waiting and missed out on 6000 miles of riding that I've put on the Goose.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 02:18:58 am
Sure wish they had gotten here earlier. I still want one, but I'd still be waiting and missed out on 6000 miles of riding that I've put on the Goose.
Bare

You could always trade in the Goose when the Continental finally does arrive.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 02:48:44 am
whoguy - thats au dollars. place my deposit tomorrow

blairio
did you find it a hard ride or passable. thoughts on the seat - looks hard

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 03:43:18 am
This is the Conti GT I tested, from Avuss Bikes in Glasgow, Scotland. Good dealer.

Willbill,

The ride was good. The bike didn't crash over uneven bits on the road, and handling remained tidy if you hit an undulation half way round a bend. The front end didn't seem as affected by uneven bits on the road as my Electra. The Conti's front mudguard mounting bracket is quite substantial, and I think it doubles as a fork brace.

The seat felt fine, although I was only on the bike for 30 minutes or so.  I'm around 6' 2" and around 190lbs, and I got comfy on the bike, after the initial groan from my hips, which aren't used to this kind of riding position.

I heard one of the other customers asking if there was an aftermarket dual seat option, and I think the answer is 'yes'. The new frame has the hangers which pillion footrests could bolt onto.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 06:45:56 am
how would you rate the ride comfort compared to your electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 12:45:19 pm
If there is available frame clearance, those piggyback shocks should be turned upside-down with the piggyback at the top, in order to reduce unsprung weight and improve the responsiveness of the suspension.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 02:18:49 pm
Hi Wildbill,

you asked 'how would you rate the ride comfort compared to your electra'

The Conti was pretty comfortable for the time I was on it (abut 30 minutes), and also for the roads I rode it on: twisty, empty, country roads, with no heavy traffic and no stop-start conditions.  I would happily have stayed on it much longer.

My Electra is pretty comfy,  but it isn't as agile as the Conti.  They are quite different.  You pay your money, you take  your choice.  In an ideal world I would have both, in a heartbeat.

Cheers,

Blairio
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:43:24 pm by Blairio »