Author Topic: Conti Review  (Read 9582 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 08:23:54 am
to date i have read several road test on the conti. overall it come in pretty well.............. apart from a dead spot just above idle which several test riders indicated in their reports.
hopefully this will be a quick fix and all is well.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 11:04:55 am
OK I will weigh in now that a lot of good questions have been asked.
Up close and personal the fit and finish of this bike is worlds ahead of anything that has ever come from RE no matter where they were built. The welding and paint are phenomenal. Of course a state of the art multi-gazillion dollar paint system and frames that are cut within microns of spec and robot welded has something to do with it.

They displayed a new one next to an original the the similarity of design was really striling. squint a big, photoshop out the carb and drum brakes and they were at least kissing cousins.

It does only get a few more HP, that much is true, but....it will come with alloy wheels standard (late decision in the process, I was sure they were going to be optional). The crank is lightened  so along with the wheels it spools up quicker for improved acceleration.

It has a bigger throttle body and of course a few more cc's. It is also a bit lighter (the frame is not all that light because it is so rigid. It will be faster but by now much remains to be seen. It also adds some plug and play big bore kits to the parts shelf.

I am not at all convinced that there is any mapping problem. I think that the marketing people did a poor job of showing the journalists the controls and mechanics of the bike. It was cold and wet there and no one knew how the en-richener worked. One review called it (I am paraphrasing) something like a choke but it does not work because it springs back. Of course it springs back, it has to or the mixture would get wacked. When the bike is cold it can be used to richen the mixture until the O2 sensor gets warm enough to operate thus closing the loop. If you start your bike and operate the lever if it changes the rpm you need it. Once the O2 sensor is operating it does nothing. Anyway I watched a guys bike stumble leaving the ACE and when a factory tech went and used the lever for a minute all was well. On the other hand time will tell.

I am not sure what to say about the suspension. For sure Ohiens(sp?) are good shocks but Paoli are nothing to sneeze at and are considered to be premium parts. Same with the Brembo brakes. These are not Brembo and Paoli make in their Indian factories but the ones that are made in Europe. I was glad to see that the fork was larger and braced, but almost nothing on this bike is common with the Classic models.

I don't think the lower HP is related to cost at all. The engine could be ramped up to 35-40 HP without a lot of trouble. Part of it might be emmsioons but a big part of it is philosophy. Sid Lal is a philosopher as much as he is a businessman. For example he is involved in a worldwide sustainable transportation movement. The idea is to design cities to get people off of motorcycles, cars etc and get them back to bicycles, walking etc.
This in spite of him having created a billion dollar company based on motorcycles, trucks buses etc. 
His idea is that motorcyclists have become totally unattached to their bikes while riding because almost every bike out there can easily out-perform its rider. He thinks that there is a hunger for a bike where the rider is the controlling and limiting element. He believes that this allows you to become one with the a forgiving  bike. I think he is absolutely right. How the market will react is another matter. I just read a review where the journalist bemoaned the lower power but then said that once he figured out that it had 5 gears for a reason and that if you used all of them you really were one with the bike, it was forgiving and worked great. I was impressed that the guy figured that all out.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 02:02:42 pm

His idea is that motorcyclists have become totally unattached to their bikes while riding because almost every bike out there can easily out-perform its rider. He thinks that there is a hunger for a bike where the rider is the controlling and limiting element. He believes that this allows you to become one with the a forgiving  bike. I think he is absolutely right. How the market will react is another matter. I just read a review where the journalist bemoaned the lower power but then said that once he figured out that it had 5 gears for a reason and that if you used all of them you really were one with the bike, it was forgiving and worked great. I was impressed that the guy figured that all out.
I really really agree with all of that statement, especially.
The ability of the rider to use almost all of the potential of the motorcycle in actual use on the road is a BIG difference, and can add tremendous increase in enjoyment of riding. I have likened it in the past to "fishing on light tackle". You get to use all of the rev range and power curve in each gear, and it just gives SO much more fun to the riding experience.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, and I'm not disappointed about this bike at all, and I'm even happy that they left something that I and others could do to it in the aftermarket.
I'm excited about the appearance of this bike on the market, and in the true "cafe racer" spirit, it is a platform upon which the owner can leave it as is, or do more customizing in various ways to suit his particular personality and desires.
I think it's very nice, and I look at this bike as an "advanced starting point" for me to individualize to my tastes anyway. There's little left to do, but there is some room to do more things to it, and this is a good thing, IMO.

I applaud the introduction of this machine.
I can understand the sentiment that there may be some particular or various aspects that some people would differ about, but overall I think this HAS to be looked at as a step forward overall, and an entry into a market that RE has previously not really been involved in, as a factory sport machine. It has been long in coming, and I have wanted to see this for quite a few years, and I'm happy it is now here. If it's not "everything you wanted", nobody is being prevented from adding the Ohlins or other features after purchasing the bike. And as Kevin points out, it's not as if the Paioli and Brembo are "junk". Those are high grade products that have been on some pretty exotic Italian sport machines.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:17:44 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 02:21:39 pm
pretty happy with the above answers - whatever happens i plan to buy one of these when they are release here in oz and see for myself  8)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 02:27:02 pm
Always cool and exciting to here about the new Cafe.   :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 04:04:12 pm
I think the bike not being way more capable than the rider is a subconscious reason we all like the RE.

Scott

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 04:49:43 pm
Well yes BUT.......a factory built bike in 2013 called the 'Continental GT', touted as a Cafe Racer priced at $7200, or so, should at least do what cafe racers aspired to do back in the day....The Ton! It can be done and in this day and age thats really not much to ask for. No ?

Ace: That B5 has been in Chumma's garage for a while now. This would be a good time for an F5...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:53:22 pm by 1 Thump »

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 04:50:26 pm
I could have afforded many other motorcycles. But I knew I wanted a motorcycle that I could really learn to ride on. I was considering the Cleveland Cyclewerks Misfit, but I saw one in person and the fit and finish and dealer did not instill much confidence.

I suspect a Triumph Bonneville would have been a great first bike for me.

Yet, I love my 2011 Royal Enfield G5 in British Racing Green with Gold pinstripes.
Its not fast, but its really fun to ride. Its also really teaching me to ride. If I want to go fast in traffic you are working thru the gears.

Its just fun. Also, I love how different it is from so many other bikes out there.
I do think the fit and finish of Royal Enfields is getting better.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 05:39:31 pm
Well yes BUT.......a factory built bike in 2013 called the 'Continental GT', touted as a Cafe Racer priced at $7200, or so, should at least do what cafe racers aspired to do back in the day....The Ton! It can be done and in this day and age thats really not much to ask for. No ?

Ace: That B5 has been in Chumma's garage for a while now. This would be a good time for an F5...

Yes, this would be a good time.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 07:36:14 pm
It's all in the reasoning that I have come back retro stuff. It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow! People are becoming aware of that fact, apparently even the press! Ya gotta remember one thing, the vast majority of the ton-up boys couldn't do the ton on their stock bikes, either. They hod to hop them up then, why are you crying about having to do it today?
Bottom line, Quitcher bitchin' and ride!
But my "1972" retro will actually do the ton stock, if only by a couple of miles an hour.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 08:01:41 pm
  Sheeeeesh !!.....  I Just don't happen to like
Yellow shocks.  Sorry for not falling inline and loving every aspect of the bike !
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 10:26:10 pm
Yellow springs are a modern thing.  Don't look right on a cafe. 

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 10:50:06 pm
Gashosegorilla: Sheeeeesh !!.....  I Just don't happen to like
Yellow shocks.

See what you did...
Oh Magoo you done it again

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 02:16:06 am
Yellow springs are a modern thing.  Don't look right on a cafe. 

Scott

Thank you !!    As a US consumer, and someone who is likely to buy one of theses bikes...  You know, cause  it might be nice to just buy one for a change , instead of build one!  I'm not going to be told to quite your Bitchin' or these are Paioli or Stromboli or whatever shocks !  And just change them after you buy it !? ....  By someone who is happy!? That the bike may be a little under powered so he could sell his wares !  And wait....and wait......and wait,....  Really !?  For 8 grand out the door by the time I'm done  ?    Sorry...... but no, that is BS.

I'm looking at a picture of the bike......what a gorgeous Bike .  Beautiful lines, great tank and fenders.... looks perfect.  Then my eyes are drawn to the shocks... They look cheap.  Like ebay Chinese Oh-rins .  Knock offs if you will.  They may not be , but that's what they look like to me, in the picture. They make the bike look almost toy like, in the picture.  They may look better in person ?  But this is how I view the bike ...... IMHO,  If it's valued at all as a consumer.  A simple change if you will, without a lot of BS. Some people may like the yellow shocks.... and that's cool .  I don't .  Just being honest.......
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 03:38:41 am
Kevin's review is reassuring, but I do have to agree with GHG's opinion regarding yellow shocks on an otherwise spectacular looking bike!  Based on some reviews, it looks like the nice bits like cafe seat, bar ends, as well as the muffler on the UK bikes are not standard items.  I am looking forward to seeing this in person.....
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:26:45 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome