Author Topic: Conti Review  (Read 9575 times)

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 12:47:50 am
Interesting.  I see two points that the reviewer makes:

1) Is the GT worth the price?  Well, it seems to come down to the same question as every other RE UCE bike.  You can get something faster/more reliable/higher quality for at or near the same price.  Do you want a bike or do you want an Enfield?

2) He points out things like the shocks and rearsets as looking cheap.  These were the things that were very high spec on the concept bike that got downgraded on the production bike.  I kind of expected that would happen, and that it would hurt the perception of the bike.

It sounds like the GT will be much like the other new REs, still with a cult following and not yet quite ready to break into the mainstream market.

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:34:06 am
Sounds about in line with other reviews. Better components and more power for the price seems to be a constant theme. It sure doesn't sound like the GT engines were broken in before this grand reveal.

Anyway, I am going to have to see it in person before deciding for myself!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 02:00:23 pm by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 05:52:07 pm
It's the same engine with a bore job and a little hotter cam. What did you expect? They aren't out out build a World Class Sport Bike. It was never touted to be a Ton-Up Repli Racer. It's a step up from previous REs, but not a giant leap for mankind. If they would have come out 4 months ago, I would have one. They waited longer than I could! And they still aren't here!
I still like it and the reviewer didn't say anything I wouldn't have expected. I was never expecting ground breaking performance, just a nice Cafe Racer that had a little more power than my G5. It didn't even have to handle any better, although I'm sure it does just by tire choices and sizes.
Bare
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:56:08 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:18:42 pm
I was hoping the quality and fit & finish would have been a bit better.  Hoping, but maybe not expecting :(

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 03:20:45 am
Yup. Hoping sounds about right....I will probably end up getting one....maybe it will be spectacular enough for Bare to trade up on the Guzzi :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:27:40 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 04:22:26 am
Wish I could afford one. But since I can't, & we are being critical, I was a little disappointed with the Gas Tank. I remember the original Continental had a red tank. The new Shape is OK, but STEEL? I have been seeing a beautiful Aluminum alloy tank offered by Enfield for the "Continental Café kit" for some years, & wonder why they aren't putting IT on the NEW CONTINENTAL? Also sorry to hear shocks Shocks & Rear Sets look cheaper on the production model. I think when you build a new machine & sell it at a premium price, excellence should be the goal, & thorough product testing would occur. A shame to spend that amount on an Unsorted bike, Maybe it's good I can't afford it.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 12:19:45 pm
Wish I could afford one. But since I can't, & we are being critical, I was a little disappointed with the Gas Tank. I remember the original Continental had a red tank. The new Shape is OK, but STEEL? I have been seeing a beautiful Aluminum alloy tank offered by Enfield for the "Continental Café kit" for some years, & wonder why they aren't putting IT on the NEW CONTINENTAL? Also sorry to hear shocks Shocks & Rear Sets look cheaper on the production model. I think when you build a new machine & sell it at a premium price, excellence should be the goal, & thorough product testing would occur. A shame to spend that amount on an Unsorted bike, Maybe it's good I can't afford it.

I think those decisions were made on how they would impact the price.
I believe that the decisions to not do more to the engine were also based on costs.
It's just built to a price. The owners may add/change things if they wish, or not.
I personally don't think that's a bad thing. Some owners would be okay with this equipment that it comes with, and if there was more stuff on it, it might go out of their price range and they couldn't buy it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 12:25:59 am
IMO, there really isn't a mechanical reason that would keep them from getting 35 bhp out of the new fuel injected 535cc engine, even with its old pushrod design with a reasonable boost in the max RPM.

I suspect that the need to meet the emission requirements around the world could have put a limit on them although the new KTM Duke 390 is managing to crank out over 40 hp from a smaller engine and meet those same requirements.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 12:30:01 am
Is that a water cooled KTM?

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 12:42:14 am
Yup.  Water cooled single that redlines around 10000 rpm.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:52:10 am
I dont doubt they could have achieved more power out of this plant. Ace will show you that it can be done. But I think its an unfair comparison with the KTM which wit its short stroke can be revved much higher and is water cooled (as you gentlemen have already stated above).

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 12:53:03 am
It's a lot easier to get tight tolerances and a clean burn out of a water cooled engine.  Less operating temperature range than an air cooled engine.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 01:14:13 am
Okay, to make it short, if we could make the mods we do at Ace, and incorporate them into the OEM production process with over 100k numbers of production, we could get it done at a very reasonable price. The reason we can't do it in the very small numbers we work with is "economy of scale in production". We do "one-sies and two-sies", which is always the most expensive way to do things.

From what I'm reading about the Continental, they wanted to use as much of the regular engine parts as possible, to keep production streamlined and commonality between models, resulting in minimal cost increases for the engine.
They already had quite a difference with the rolling chassis( in cost and other features), so they probably didn't have much more room to add cost after all of that, and still achieve their projected price point.

Certainly, more power could have been extracted from this UCE powerplant, but it's clear that the factory made the decision to not do it. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but again, I suspect it is cost.

I'm not going to address an imagined comparison between a 10,000 rpm crotch rocket and a 5000 rpm thumper. There simply is no comparison there.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:17:38 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 01:34:43 am
    I love the styling of the bike... I think they nailed it.  Just not crazy about the YELLOW shocks !?  :o  With the Red tins..... I can't help it, but it reminds me of Ronald Mac Donald. It you want them to look like Ohlins... then put Ohlins on there !  Not a Cheap imitations.   I think a black or chrome shock would have been a much better choice, and save some money and cost at the same time.   IMHO anyways......

As fare as the performance goes..... If I'm reading it right ? That's a 2 HP increase over stock ?! From what we have seen here generally, from member's posting up their results on DynoJet Dyno's of about 18 or 19 rear wheel HP, I'd be interested to see what this bike puts out.  Can't be 20 or 21 !!  If it is....... those Cams can't be too  "hot" ?  And that HP increase has got to come from the extra 35 cc's  pretty much alone.  And I'm sure it must still have a narrow band O2 sensor, for EPA reasons, Keeping the mix at 14.7 : 1 in closed loop.... and maybe leaner when it's out of closed loop?   I'm thinking, you could get it to the mid 20's at the rear wheel with a freer flowing exhaust and intake, with a good tune....MAYBE a little more ?   Not too bad for a modest investment in parts.........
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.