Author Topic: Noisey Forks!  (Read 3616 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 01:59:56 pm
Ok, I know a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but let me be clear on the experience I had:  to remove and replace the covers without damaging them requires the stem lowering.  I almost got them off without messing with the stem, but just couldn't quite finagle it.

If you want to remove the covers and aren't worried about breaking them, I'm guessing it's a pretty easy job.  I don't remember exactly, but I think a few strategic swipes with a dremel-like cutoff wheel or even a careful hacksaw application would free them.  Not sure about all this, but if your goal is simply to ditch them, b.sheets, you might want to consider a "destructive procedure".  ;)

Once they're off, I don't know how easy it would be to fit gaiters; forks off, I imagine, but at least you won't have to mess with the steering...

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 03:10:58 pm
I just used the T.P. roll method. it sounds much better. thanks guys.

matt, I'm glad you posted this. I've got a dremel in the toolbox that loves to destroy things!... I may have to reconsider ditching the gaiters and go ahead with my plan. I really appreciate your help.

anyone else have experience with the fork covers? If I can cut them off I definitely will.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 06:01:37 pm
I'm pretty sure that if you no longer wanted them you could remove them destructively.  You'd still have to remove the fork legs from the nacelle to get the gaiters on but you wouldn't have to remove the steering stem.

I'd be interested to see how a C5 looks with gaiters on it.

Scott

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 04:36:00 pm
IN DEFENSE OF ATF in forks.  Pete Snidals Bullet Manual Recommends ATF. I have successfully used SYNTHETIC AMSOIL ATF in my forks over the years. It is a Hydraulic type oil after all, & Synthetic = Permanent. I used to spend to much on other brands of fork oil, even tried AMSOIL SHOCK TREARMENT brand but the ATF has worked as well as any in my bikes. I also believe synthetic to be easier on fork seals.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 06:33:52 pm
Not designed to reduce "Stiction".  Not a true hydraulic fluid designed to work with O-ring seals on sliding parts.  There's a reason it isn't put in forks by any manufacturer in the world.  But it's your bike.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 04:27:26 pm
Don't take my word, Pete Snydal an Enfield authority recommends it also, in his Manuals. It is inexpensive, Synthetic Slippery, I contend as good as any, & beats the crap out of the Enfield factory 10w Nasty Oil. Works Perfectly For Me.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 11:41:28 pm
Don't take my word, Pete Snydal an Enfield authority recommends it also, in his Manuals. It is inexpensive, Synthetic Slippery, I contend as good as any, & beats the crap out of the Enfield factory 10w Nasty Oil. Works Perfectly For Me.
i also
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet