Author Topic: Conti Review  (Read 9577 times)

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 12:47:50 am
Interesting.  I see two points that the reviewer makes:

1) Is the GT worth the price?  Well, it seems to come down to the same question as every other RE UCE bike.  You can get something faster/more reliable/higher quality for at or near the same price.  Do you want a bike or do you want an Enfield?

2) He points out things like the shocks and rearsets as looking cheap.  These were the things that were very high spec on the concept bike that got downgraded on the production bike.  I kind of expected that would happen, and that it would hurt the perception of the bike.

It sounds like the GT will be much like the other new REs, still with a cult following and not yet quite ready to break into the mainstream market.

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:34:06 am
Sounds about in line with other reviews. Better components and more power for the price seems to be a constant theme. It sure doesn't sound like the GT engines were broken in before this grand reveal.

Anyway, I am going to have to see it in person before deciding for myself!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 02:00:23 pm by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 05:52:07 pm
It's the same engine with a bore job and a little hotter cam. What did you expect? They aren't out out build a World Class Sport Bike. It was never touted to be a Ton-Up Repli Racer. It's a step up from previous REs, but not a giant leap for mankind. If they would have come out 4 months ago, I would have one. They waited longer than I could! And they still aren't here!
I still like it and the reviewer didn't say anything I wouldn't have expected. I was never expecting ground breaking performance, just a nice Cafe Racer that had a little more power than my G5. It didn't even have to handle any better, although I'm sure it does just by tire choices and sizes.
Bare
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:56:08 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:18:42 pm
I was hoping the quality and fit & finish would have been a bit better.  Hoping, but maybe not expecting :(

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 03:20:45 am
Yup. Hoping sounds about right....I will probably end up getting one....maybe it will be spectacular enough for Bare to trade up on the Guzzi :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:27:40 am by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 04:22:26 am
Wish I could afford one. But since I can't, & we are being critical, I was a little disappointed with the Gas Tank. I remember the original Continental had a red tank. The new Shape is OK, but STEEL? I have been seeing a beautiful Aluminum alloy tank offered by Enfield for the "Continental Café kit" for some years, & wonder why they aren't putting IT on the NEW CONTINENTAL? Also sorry to hear shocks Shocks & Rear Sets look cheaper on the production model. I think when you build a new machine & sell it at a premium price, excellence should be the goal, & thorough product testing would occur. A shame to spend that amount on an Unsorted bike, Maybe it's good I can't afford it.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 12:19:45 pm
Wish I could afford one. But since I can't, & we are being critical, I was a little disappointed with the Gas Tank. I remember the original Continental had a red tank. The new Shape is OK, but STEEL? I have been seeing a beautiful Aluminum alloy tank offered by Enfield for the "Continental Café kit" for some years, & wonder why they aren't putting IT on the NEW CONTINENTAL? Also sorry to hear shocks Shocks & Rear Sets look cheaper on the production model. I think when you build a new machine & sell it at a premium price, excellence should be the goal, & thorough product testing would occur. A shame to spend that amount on an Unsorted bike, Maybe it's good I can't afford it.

I think those decisions were made on how they would impact the price.
I believe that the decisions to not do more to the engine were also based on costs.
It's just built to a price. The owners may add/change things if they wish, or not.
I personally don't think that's a bad thing. Some owners would be okay with this equipment that it comes with, and if there was more stuff on it, it might go out of their price range and they couldn't buy it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 12:25:59 am
IMO, there really isn't a mechanical reason that would keep them from getting 35 bhp out of the new fuel injected 535cc engine, even with its old pushrod design with a reasonable boost in the max RPM.

I suspect that the need to meet the emission requirements around the world could have put a limit on them although the new KTM Duke 390 is managing to crank out over 40 hp from a smaller engine and meet those same requirements.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 12:30:01 am
Is that a water cooled KTM?

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 12:42:14 am
Yup.  Water cooled single that redlines around 10000 rpm.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:52:10 am
I dont doubt they could have achieved more power out of this plant. Ace will show you that it can be done. But I think its an unfair comparison with the KTM which wit its short stroke can be revved much higher and is water cooled (as you gentlemen have already stated above).

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 12:53:03 am
It's a lot easier to get tight tolerances and a clean burn out of a water cooled engine.  Less operating temperature range than an air cooled engine.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 01:14:13 am
Okay, to make it short, if we could make the mods we do at Ace, and incorporate them into the OEM production process with over 100k numbers of production, we could get it done at a very reasonable price. The reason we can't do it in the very small numbers we work with is "economy of scale in production". We do "one-sies and two-sies", which is always the most expensive way to do things.

From what I'm reading about the Continental, they wanted to use as much of the regular engine parts as possible, to keep production streamlined and commonality between models, resulting in minimal cost increases for the engine.
They already had quite a difference with the rolling chassis( in cost and other features), so they probably didn't have much more room to add cost after all of that, and still achieve their projected price point.

Certainly, more power could have been extracted from this UCE powerplant, but it's clear that the factory made the decision to not do it. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but again, I suspect it is cost.

I'm not going to address an imagined comparison between a 10,000 rpm crotch rocket and a 5000 rpm thumper. There simply is no comparison there.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:17:38 am by ace.cafe »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 01:34:43 am
    I love the styling of the bike... I think they nailed it.  Just not crazy about the YELLOW shocks !?  :o  With the Red tins..... I can't help it, but it reminds me of Ronald Mac Donald. It you want them to look like Ohlins... then put Ohlins on there !  Not a Cheap imitations.   I think a black or chrome shock would have been a much better choice, and save some money and cost at the same time.   IMHO anyways......

As fare as the performance goes..... If I'm reading it right ? That's a 2 HP increase over stock ?! From what we have seen here generally, from member's posting up their results on DynoJet Dyno's of about 18 or 19 rear wheel HP, I'd be interested to see what this bike puts out.  Can't be 20 or 21 !!  If it is....... those Cams can't be too  "hot" ?  And that HP increase has got to come from the extra 35 cc's  pretty much alone.  And I'm sure it must still have a narrow band O2 sensor, for EPA reasons, Keeping the mix at 14.7 : 1 in closed loop.... and maybe leaner when it's out of closed loop?   I'm thinking, you could get it to the mid 20's at the rear wheel with a freer flowing exhaust and intake, with a good tune....MAYBE a little more ?   Not too bad for a modest investment in parts.........
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 08:23:54 am
to date i have read several road test on the conti. overall it come in pretty well.............. apart from a dead spot just above idle which several test riders indicated in their reports.
hopefully this will be a quick fix and all is well.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 11:04:55 am
OK I will weigh in now that a lot of good questions have been asked.
Up close and personal the fit and finish of this bike is worlds ahead of anything that has ever come from RE no matter where they were built. The welding and paint are phenomenal. Of course a state of the art multi-gazillion dollar paint system and frames that are cut within microns of spec and robot welded has something to do with it.

They displayed a new one next to an original the the similarity of design was really striling. squint a big, photoshop out the carb and drum brakes and they were at least kissing cousins.

It does only get a few more HP, that much is true, but....it will come with alloy wheels standard (late decision in the process, I was sure they were going to be optional). The crank is lightened  so along with the wheels it spools up quicker for improved acceleration.

It has a bigger throttle body and of course a few more cc's. It is also a bit lighter (the frame is not all that light because it is so rigid. It will be faster but by now much remains to be seen. It also adds some plug and play big bore kits to the parts shelf.

I am not at all convinced that there is any mapping problem. I think that the marketing people did a poor job of showing the journalists the controls and mechanics of the bike. It was cold and wet there and no one knew how the en-richener worked. One review called it (I am paraphrasing) something like a choke but it does not work because it springs back. Of course it springs back, it has to or the mixture would get wacked. When the bike is cold it can be used to richen the mixture until the O2 sensor gets warm enough to operate thus closing the loop. If you start your bike and operate the lever if it changes the rpm you need it. Once the O2 sensor is operating it does nothing. Anyway I watched a guys bike stumble leaving the ACE and when a factory tech went and used the lever for a minute all was well. On the other hand time will tell.

I am not sure what to say about the suspension. For sure Ohiens(sp?) are good shocks but Paoli are nothing to sneeze at and are considered to be premium parts. Same with the Brembo brakes. These are not Brembo and Paoli make in their Indian factories but the ones that are made in Europe. I was glad to see that the fork was larger and braced, but almost nothing on this bike is common with the Classic models.

I don't think the lower HP is related to cost at all. The engine could be ramped up to 35-40 HP without a lot of trouble. Part of it might be emmsioons but a big part of it is philosophy. Sid Lal is a philosopher as much as he is a businessman. For example he is involved in a worldwide sustainable transportation movement. The idea is to design cities to get people off of motorcycles, cars etc and get them back to bicycles, walking etc.
This in spite of him having created a billion dollar company based on motorcycles, trucks buses etc. 
His idea is that motorcyclists have become totally unattached to their bikes while riding because almost every bike out there can easily out-perform its rider. He thinks that there is a hunger for a bike where the rider is the controlling and limiting element. He believes that this allows you to become one with the a forgiving  bike. I think he is absolutely right. How the market will react is another matter. I just read a review where the journalist bemoaned the lower power but then said that once he figured out that it had 5 gears for a reason and that if you used all of them you really were one with the bike, it was forgiving and worked great. I was impressed that the guy figured that all out.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 02:02:42 pm

His idea is that motorcyclists have become totally unattached to their bikes while riding because almost every bike out there can easily out-perform its rider. He thinks that there is a hunger for a bike where the rider is the controlling and limiting element. He believes that this allows you to become one with the a forgiving  bike. I think he is absolutely right. How the market will react is another matter. I just read a review where the journalist bemoaned the lower power but then said that once he figured out that it had 5 gears for a reason and that if you used all of them you really were one with the bike, it was forgiving and worked great. I was impressed that the guy figured that all out.
I really really agree with all of that statement, especially.
The ability of the rider to use almost all of the potential of the motorcycle in actual use on the road is a BIG difference, and can add tremendous increase in enjoyment of riding. I have likened it in the past to "fishing on light tackle". You get to use all of the rev range and power curve in each gear, and it just gives SO much more fun to the riding experience.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, and I'm not disappointed about this bike at all, and I'm even happy that they left something that I and others could do to it in the aftermarket.
I'm excited about the appearance of this bike on the market, and in the true "cafe racer" spirit, it is a platform upon which the owner can leave it as is, or do more customizing in various ways to suit his particular personality and desires.
I think it's very nice, and I look at this bike as an "advanced starting point" for me to individualize to my tastes anyway. There's little left to do, but there is some room to do more things to it, and this is a good thing, IMO.

I applaud the introduction of this machine.
I can understand the sentiment that there may be some particular or various aspects that some people would differ about, but overall I think this HAS to be looked at as a step forward overall, and an entry into a market that RE has previously not really been involved in, as a factory sport machine. It has been long in coming, and I have wanted to see this for quite a few years, and I'm happy it is now here. If it's not "everything you wanted", nobody is being prevented from adding the Ohlins or other features after purchasing the bike. And as Kevin points out, it's not as if the Paioli and Brembo are "junk". Those are high grade products that have been on some pretty exotic Italian sport machines.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:17:44 pm by ace.cafe »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 02:21:39 pm
pretty happy with the above answers - whatever happens i plan to buy one of these when they are release here in oz and see for myself  8)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 02:27:02 pm
Always cool and exciting to here about the new Cafe.   :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 04:04:12 pm
I think the bike not being way more capable than the rider is a subconscious reason we all like the RE.

Scott

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 04:49:43 pm
Well yes BUT.......a factory built bike in 2013 called the 'Continental GT', touted as a Cafe Racer priced at $7200, or so, should at least do what cafe racers aspired to do back in the day....The Ton! It can be done and in this day and age thats really not much to ask for. No ?

Ace: That B5 has been in Chumma's garage for a while now. This would be a good time for an F5...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:53:22 pm by 1 Thump »

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 04:50:26 pm
I could have afforded many other motorcycles. But I knew I wanted a motorcycle that I could really learn to ride on. I was considering the Cleveland Cyclewerks Misfit, but I saw one in person and the fit and finish and dealer did not instill much confidence.

I suspect a Triumph Bonneville would have been a great first bike for me.

Yet, I love my 2011 Royal Enfield G5 in British Racing Green with Gold pinstripes.
Its not fast, but its really fun to ride. Its also really teaching me to ride. If I want to go fast in traffic you are working thru the gears.

Its just fun. Also, I love how different it is from so many other bikes out there.
I do think the fit and finish of Royal Enfields is getting better.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 05:39:31 pm
Well yes BUT.......a factory built bike in 2013 called the 'Continental GT', touted as a Cafe Racer priced at $7200, or so, should at least do what cafe racers aspired to do back in the day....The Ton! It can be done and in this day and age thats really not much to ask for. No ?

Ace: That B5 has been in Chumma's garage for a while now. This would be a good time for an F5...

Yes, this would be a good time.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 07:36:14 pm
It's all in the reasoning that I have come back retro stuff. It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow! People are becoming aware of that fact, apparently even the press! Ya gotta remember one thing, the vast majority of the ton-up boys couldn't do the ton on their stock bikes, either. They hod to hop them up then, why are you crying about having to do it today?
Bottom line, Quitcher bitchin' and ride!
But my "1972" retro will actually do the ton stock, if only by a couple of miles an hour.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 08:01:41 pm
  Sheeeeesh !!.....  I Just don't happen to like
Yellow shocks.  Sorry for not falling inline and loving every aspect of the bike !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 10:26:10 pm
Yellow springs are a modern thing.  Don't look right on a cafe. 

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 10:50:06 pm
Gashosegorilla: Sheeeeesh !!.....  I Just don't happen to like
Yellow shocks.

See what you did...
Oh Magoo you done it again

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 02:16:06 am
Yellow springs are a modern thing.  Don't look right on a cafe. 

Scott

Thank you !!    As a US consumer, and someone who is likely to buy one of theses bikes...  You know, cause  it might be nice to just buy one for a change , instead of build one!  I'm not going to be told to quite your Bitchin' or these are Paioli or Stromboli or whatever shocks !  And just change them after you buy it !? ....  By someone who is happy!? That the bike may be a little under powered so he could sell his wares !  And wait....and wait......and wait,....  Really !?  For 8 grand out the door by the time I'm done  ?    Sorry...... but no, that is BS.

I'm looking at a picture of the bike......what a gorgeous Bike .  Beautiful lines, great tank and fenders.... looks perfect.  Then my eyes are drawn to the shocks... They look cheap.  Like ebay Chinese Oh-rins .  Knock offs if you will.  They may not be , but that's what they look like to me, in the picture. They make the bike look almost toy like, in the picture.  They may look better in person ?  But this is how I view the bike ...... IMHO,  If it's valued at all as a consumer.  A simple change if you will, without a lot of BS. Some people may like the yellow shocks.... and that's cool .  I don't .  Just being honest.......

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 03:38:41 am
Kevin's review is reassuring, but I do have to agree with GHG's opinion regarding yellow shocks on an otherwise spectacular looking bike!  Based on some reviews, it looks like the nice bits like cafe seat, bar ends, as well as the muffler on the UK bikes are not standard items.  I am looking forward to seeing this in person.....
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:26:45 am by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 04:41:16 am
His idea is that motorcyclists have become totally unattached to their bikes while riding because almost every bike out there can easily out-perform its rider. He thinks that there is a hunger for a bike where the rider is the controlling and limiting element. He believes that this allows you to become one with the a forgiving  bike. I think he is absolutely right. How the market will react is another matter.

I agree with this completely. This applies to me, having come from riding a Benelli TNT and an MZ 1000 sport bikes. While I could ride them pretty fast in the mountains and get a good thrill, I was nowhere near tapping either bikes full potential, getting a few pucker moments, and lest I forget, breaking the law severely and not being a good example to the non-motorcyclist public (not riding like a real butthole, just fast, but in their eyes what's the difference) When riding those bikes at posted speeds it became instantly boring, just putting along was like idling through a parking lot, the bikes were completely out of their element. A complete waste. Bottom line, they belong on a track! But with the Enfield I have now, I thoroughly enjoy riding it at any speed: slow, through town, putting around, commuting, yet I can hit all those back roads and push it for all its worth for an exiting ride, and not be over the speed limit by much.....in most cases ;) The fact that the brakes won't stop it as fast as needed adds an element of excitement. The bike is more enjoyable more of the time, for me, vs. those other bikes I had. Best thing I did, buying the Enfield. And I'm certain I will be getting one of the GT's. All the important parts are there, in time there will be anything you want available to make it the way you want. It seems a great starting point to me, like a reviewer said, not all done served on a platter to consume, but ready to customize.  And I can't think of any bikes that have had this type of "rollout" ......Maybe the new Bonneville? But I don't think even that was this extensive. Can't wait to see it in person! :)

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: September 28, 2013, 05:35:11 am
I took a call from my Enfield dealer earlier in the week. They have a Continental GT demo bike in stock, and if fancied swinging by the shop on saturday (today!) then I could take it out for a spin....

I'm genuinely excited to see and ride the bike, given the interest it has generated. I'll report my impressions in due course.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 08:40:21 am
got a call from the dealer today and the interest in the cafe racer is very strong so deposits are being taken.
they are expected to land here in dec and registered roadworthy in jan 2014 - ride away $10500 - sounds good to me.
i honestly thought it would be closer to $12k so i'm happy

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 12:49:08 pm
Wildbill,  that's Aus dollars right?

If so... that's very good value indeed...just $500 more than the C5 when it came out!
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 28, 2013, 01:34:46 pm
Just finished a 30 minute test ride of the continental. My thoughts are:

The Conti feels very nimble and light, and seems to have more performance than the extra couple of BHP would suggest. The one I rode had 2500 miles on the clock, and so I could open her up a bit.  Gear change was slick, and the brakes felt strong, with the rear disk brake a real bonus. Front and rear suspension seem pretty well sorted. It got up to 65 or so mph pretty rapidly, faster than my Electra (G5), and found a nice twisty stretch of road to try the handling out on. The bike felt very 'flickable'. The riding posture initially felt cramped (I am not used to rear sets and clip-ons), but after a couple of miles it felt comfy. You definitely sit in the bike rather than on it.

Fit and finish are very good, the red paint job is deep and lustrous, with frame welding much neater than previously. The model I tried had an extra package including alloy rims and sports exhaust, both of which look like quality items.

The contentious yellow rear shock springs seemed to work visually when I saw the bike in the metal. I wouldn't mind them. In fact the only issue I had with finish was that the standard exhaust on the Conti has a horrible silver painted weld round the silencer just before the tip, where there is no way you could miss it. When I turned up at the dealer for my test ride, there were three folk waiting in front of me.  Everyone seemed equally baffled as to why such an ugly weld would be stuck in plain sight on an otherwise well finished bike.   Maybe Enfield are looking to sell lots of aftermarket exhausts!

Would I buy one? Definitely. But I would want to keep my Electra as well. They are both great, but quite different in terms of the riding experience.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: September 28, 2013, 01:41:13 pm
Nice ride report and evaluation!
Thanks!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #36 on: September 28, 2013, 02:13:39 pm
+1.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 28, 2013, 05:13:17 pm
Thanks Blairio for the ride report. Cafeman's post hit the nail on the head for me. I could have kept my old Iron Barrel and been perfectly happy. I could of bought a Honda 250r or even the CBR500 for less than my B5 and been perfectly happy. But just as Cafeman said there is nothing out there that provides the same feel that Enfields do. I have an area just north of my house with a series of snaky uphill bends posted at 30mph. I hit them at 50+ and just let the hill bleed off any excess speed, pure nirvana.
 This is what i think of every time i look at the finish flaws and suchlike on the B5 engine cases (maybe someone could clean or at least smooth the tooling out) and hand controls etc.
Robert & the Green B. 

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: September 28, 2013, 10:28:26 pm
Sure wish they had gotten here earlier. I still want one, but I'd still be waiting and missed out on 6000 miles of riding that I've put on the Goose.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 02:18:58 am
Sure wish they had gotten here earlier. I still want one, but I'd still be waiting and missed out on 6000 miles of riding that I've put on the Goose.
Bare

You could always trade in the Goose when the Continental finally does arrive.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 02:48:44 am
whoguy - thats au dollars. place my deposit tomorrow

blairio
did you find it a hard ride or passable. thoughts on the seat - looks hard

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 03:43:18 am
This is the Conti GT I tested, from Avuss Bikes in Glasgow, Scotland. Good dealer.

Willbill,

The ride was good. The bike didn't crash over uneven bits on the road, and handling remained tidy if you hit an undulation half way round a bend. The front end didn't seem as affected by uneven bits on the road as my Electra. The Conti's front mudguard mounting bracket is quite substantial, and I think it doubles as a fork brace.

The seat felt fine, although I was only on the bike for 30 minutes or so.  I'm around 6' 2" and around 190lbs, and I got comfy on the bike, after the initial groan from my hips, which aren't used to this kind of riding position.

I heard one of the other customers asking if there was an aftermarket dual seat option, and I think the answer is 'yes'. The new frame has the hangers which pillion footrests could bolt onto.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 06:45:56 am
how would you rate the ride comfort compared to your electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 12:45:19 pm
If there is available frame clearance, those piggyback shocks should be turned upside-down with the piggyback at the top, in order to reduce unsprung weight and improve the responsiveness of the suspension.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 02:18:49 pm
Hi Wildbill,

you asked 'how would you rate the ride comfort compared to your electra'

The Conti was pretty comfortable for the time I was on it (abut 30 minutes), and also for the roads I rode it on: twisty, empty, country roads, with no heavy traffic and no stop-start conditions.  I would happily have stayed on it much longer.

My Electra is pretty comfy,  but it isn't as agile as the Conti.  They are quite different.  You pay your money, you take  your choice.  In an ideal world I would have both, in a heartbeat.

Cheers,

Blairio
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:43:24 pm by Blairio »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: September 30, 2013, 02:21:12 am
blairo

very good report -placing my deposit on it today

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #46 on: October 03, 2013, 03:17:27 pm
I just got the latest issue of Cafe Racer Magazine yesterday.  They have a multi-page review of the Continental.  In short, they liked it :)

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #47 on: October 03, 2013, 05:42:32 pm
Oh, and they mentioned US availability in January :(

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: October 03, 2013, 06:48:09 pm
Oh, and they mentioned US availability in January :(

Ya mean I was supposed to miss a year of riding? Not bloody likely!!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #49 on: October 03, 2013, 06:50:27 pm
So Bare, how do you like your Guzzi v7 Racer?
It looks like one great motorcycle.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #50 on: October 03, 2013, 06:54:42 pm
Ya mean I was supposed to miss a year of riding? Not bloody likely!!
Bare

Yes, you chose wisely ;)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: October 03, 2013, 08:46:04 pm
So Bare, how do you like your Guzzi v7 Racer? It looks like one great motorcycle.

I like it a lot. It is nice to have a little extra horsepower about! And the bike handles very nicely. It's really not as comfortable as the Enfield was, but it'll get there quicker, so maybe I won't notice! It broke a spark plug cap, but that's the only problem that has cropped up.
It's got 6200 miles on it now, so it is definitely getting ridden. Not quite Bullet mileage, but I guess one has to pay for horsepower. It's averaged about 52.6 mpg since I got it.
Yeah, I like it!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer