Author Topic: Solved my ignition issues  (Read 1128 times)

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
on: September 23, 2013, 05:18:21 pm
So yesterday the bike quit on me, after parking at a friends house, it would no longer start, we had to get somewhere fast - There was no voltage appearing at the points.

I have a long "extra" wire for my tachometer, so I took that and first ran a new wire from the coil to the points. Didn't help.
Then I hotwired the coil to the battery directly -
While doing this, the wire would obviously spark if the points were closed ,when I momentarily touched the battery terminal, but strangely it even sparked mildly when the points were open. I gave up and we went in a car.

In the morning, I took the points plate out and it was somehow shorting - After taking the mechanism apart, I noticed that the plastic thingy that keeps the bolt from touching the timing plate was worn out, and the bolt made intermittent contact with the mounting tab.
I took out the little lubricating jig and this allowed me to get the plastic thing to fit properly and insulate.
After that the bike ran perfectly, no misfire or hard starting.

So next time any of you experience weird ignition problems, do check the discontinuity of the points when they are open!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:25:39 pm
Good find...That the kind of thing will drive ya crazy...
Oh Magoo you done it again