Author Topic: Straight 140W oil in the gearbox?  (Read 2762 times)

02Electra

• Scooter
on: September 22, 2013, 03:57:56 pm
Hello,

Has anyone tried running straight 140W gear oil in the 4 speed transmission without a sealed bearing? Did it all end up on the floor? I can understand 90W gear oil leaking as it's nothing more than a 50W engine oil when hot.

We have some straight 140W used in tractor axles and want to give it a try.

Also, if I want to mix the 140 with the existing grease inside, how much should I put in? Just want to make the grease a bit more mobile.

Many thanks!
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 05:46:46 pm
I don't think your tranny will shift very well with 140W.  That is some pretty heavy stuff.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 07:51:33 pm
02Electra, thinning the Veedol grease a little bit is recommended and can be done with the addition of little motor oil. But to remove the grease and trying anything thinner would most likely leak. I tried everything to stop my 4spd from leaking before replacing the main shaft bearing with a sealed one. Not to hard of a job to do. I would also recommend installing a RS shift kit. Pete Snidal's repair manual has a well written chapter on the RS shift conversion and sealed bearing installation. The one other thing that makes probably the biggest upgrade to the 4spd box is the installation of the close ratio gear set. Downside is the expense ($650 for all upgrades). Upside is it fixes that gap between 3rd and 4th. My 4spd box with all the upgrades mentioned shifts smoother than my 5spd, but the 5spd is way easier to maintain with minimal adjustments needed. If you can find a 5spd box for a decent price ($1000 new, used ?) I would snag it before dumping a lot of money into upgrading your 4spd. The only thing needed to install the 5spd is to change the front motor mounts and some fabrication to the fixed rear mudguard.

These are changes you might not be interested in doing but other forum members might be interested in doing some of the upgrades.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:30:53 pm
What is the real issue here?
 What are you trying to accomplish?

sounds like hard shifting to me. Fine tune your clutch as
best you can. The process below from my files served me well for years.
Shift with deliberate intent. HOLD the toe lever up till you have released
the clutch.          - Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have found the clutch adjustment very very fine... A difference of 1/8 of a turn on the adjustment nut makes the difference between slip and drag. Make sure that you cable is not kinked, well lubricated, and runs as straight as you can possible achieve. Do not over fill the primary case with oil; just enough oil to cover the bottom run of the chain on the clutch chain wheel. Do not use engine oil! Loosen off the cable adjuster, adjust the push rod clearance so that it just touches the rod, back it of 1/8 of a turn and carefully tighten the lock nut. Then take up the slack in the cable.
 Assuming that your plates are still serviceable,
 if it still slips, back the adjuster off another 1/8 of a turn. If it drags when hot, increase by 1/8 of a turn.
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 04:11:13 am
I use corn head grease.I am not kidding,that is what it is called and it is available at John Deere.I ran 90wt until it started leaking,switched to this stuff on recommend by a farmer friend.No leaks,trans runs cool.It is thin enough to drool down into the transmission as you put it in.I used a plastic syringe,but you could just as easily use a grease gun,it comes in a tube for that application.
Of course,I never recommend any of the things I do.
The stuff is made for gear boxes,actually.Corn heads,whatever the hell that is.Agricultural terminology

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 05:02:18 am
Hmm.  Corn Head Grease? 

After going to a few Nebraska Football games I had the displeasure of sitting behind a few of them in the stadium. 
Those damn corn hats they wear sure do block a lot of the view for the folks sitting behind them.  I think a couple of tubes of Corn Head Grease might have made the games a lot more enjoyable for me.  ;D

Ain't computers and the web wonderful?  With a little looking, sure enough.  I found there is such a thing.

http://www.greenfarmparts.com/John-Deere-Corn-Head-Grease-AN102562-p/an102562.htm

Course, you might want a Corn Head to go with it:

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/grain_harvesting/headers/600c_series_corn_heads/606c_corn_head/606c_corn_head.page

With one of those and 1000 acres of corn a fellow could have more than his fair share of fun. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 02:24:16 am
Thanx for the backup.
You were just checking on me tho',right?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 03:46:35 am
I grew up in Wisconsin, I knew exactly what you were talking about.  I've driven a ton of tractors but never got to drive a corn head.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

elmagnifico

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 03:26:26 am
Lubriplate # 105 maybe?
2003 bullet deluxe