Author Topic: Oil  (Read 14784 times)

ZoomZoom

• Scooter
Oil
on: August 02, 2007, 12:43:04 pm
I just recently bought an 05 Bullet w/ only 400 miles.  I want to do an oil change soon...  I know the battle over not using automotive oil in motorcycles; i also know people who do it all the time w/ no apparent damage.

What readily available oil is recommended for these bikes?  Unfortunately, I live kind of in the middle of nowhere w/ very few mc dealers around.  I can't believe all across India, Bullet owners are using fancy oils...

So what's the consensus?

Thanks Y'all

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 01:40:17 pm
I've been using the Castrol 20-50 in the white bottle for over 20,000 miles. It does have the
 -SJ- designation on the back...
Once broke in, I ad just a little Lucas oil fortifier...
"IT WORKS FOR ME"  - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

deejay

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 02:03:13 pm
I use Castrol 20-50

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 02:29:47 pm
The recommended lubricant is a 20w50 mineral oil, with changes every 500 miles for the first 2000 miles and then at every 2000 miles thereafter.

Some people report good results using synthetic oil after the initial 2000 mile running-in period.

I buy the cheapest 20w50 oil I can get and change it often.  Some people buy vastly more expensive oil and say they can change it less often so the cost is the same.

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 03:40:43 pm
Castrol 20w50, cheap and easy to get. Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 05:19:35 pm
Remember, the bike was engineered when oils were nowhere near the quality they are today.
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

tex

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 10:18:33 pm
Hey Z-Z,

I'm with Mike on this one. Along with Castrol 20w-50, I like to give mine a shot of Lucas
oif fortifier now and again, when the level is getting a little low. Sure helps to keep the valves quiet. I try to change oil and filter around 1200-1500 miles, which may be a little
too short on the intervals, but I figure too soon rather than too late. I have a 2000 Bullet
with a little over 13K miles and no problems relating to type or useage of engine oil. A
case of 20W-50 Castrol will last a long time. Good oil, good insurance.

Tex

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 03:05:36 am
I've run 20-50 Pennzoil in all my motorcycles for years.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 05:22:17 am
i've an electra, calls for 15 /40  ____SHELL makes that oil..  untill the warranity is over i will use that..15/40 is also what my tractor requires.. I promise I won't try to hook up a plow on my Enfield ;D

ZoomZoom

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 05:56:52 pm
Thanks y'all!  Does anyone use Marvel Mystery Oil?  Is that similar to Lucas Additive?  When I used to have an old Beemer everyone recommended a dash in the oil, a dash in the gas tank... a little dab everywhere it seemed.  And it seemed to work well...

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 08:29:22 pm
I use the MMO - I suppose it works..  not similar to the Lucas additive that I have used in the past.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 06:13:34 pm
Thanks y'all!  Does anyone use Marvel Mystery Oil?  Is that similar to Lucas Additive?  When I used to have an old Beemer everyone recommended a dash in the oil, a dash in the gas tank... a little dab everywhere it seemed.  And it seemed to work well...
Marvel Mystery Oil, the only approved gas additive of the FAA. Must be good if those guys use it in their airplanes. Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

gapl53

Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 05:46:13 pm
Been using Marvel Mystery Oil for a long time, great stuff. A airplane mechanic recommended it to my father in the early 50's. Both of us have used it since then with great results in all our internal combustion engines. Just for an idea it takes 30 gallons of an assortment of grades to change oil around my place, there are no heavy equipment or commercial type vehicles and only one personal vehicle besides my two motorcycles. But the one constant is Marvel Mystery Oil
And yes, at that time it was the only additive to be recommended by the FAA, or whatever it was called way back then.

GOOD STUFF MAYNERD!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 06:12:00 pm

It's sold as a cleanser. Google it and you'll see proponents and doubters alike.

A good example of both can be found in http://skepdic.com/slick50.html  and the follow-up responses.

Matt

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 03:25:13 pm
I've used Castrol 20-50W during the first 3500 miles on my '06 Classic - but the case is running low.  I've seen the disussions on additives (or negetives) in the lastest oil specs and the effects on old engines... happened to see a gent at Autozone or Pep Boys (don't recall which it was)  with a gallon jug of Castrol 20-50W 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil... haven't checked it out, yet, but it may be Castrol is making a real effort to make something usable for old motors.  Even if it's just a different label, I'll probably switch 'cause I'd rather use a gallon jug than have several half-empty quarts... I changed the oil (and filter) at 250, 500, 1000, and 2000 miles, and haven't used two whole quarts yet!  Guess the only way to completely drain the motor is to remove the timing-side case, and that seems a little extreme to me...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman