Author Topic: cable lubrication  (Read 8504 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 02:54:40 am
Mine's just like that, but I think it only has one screw...

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 03:47:52 am
Mine's just like that, but I think it only has one screw...
So I have the same one you do. I don't understand why you are having problems using it. Are you disconnecting your cables from the levers?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 08:37:21 pm
Does't matter if its the single screw or double screw they all get blowback and you waste oil and money. Like I said they get mixed reviews. Some people love them some people hate them! Its a chinese design...Only way of stopping the mess from going all over your bike is to hold a cloth over the opposite end to where the cable inserts to stop the blowback.

The one in the video is a British design from way back when...And as you see in the video actually works as intended..Without mess going every where. But you have to take apart the cables at handle bar end to use it. Plus you can use any oil you like in it. Potentially saving you money. Google hydralic cable oiler...Compared to the version you have it is quite abit more expensive. But worth it in my opinion.

I'm only helping you out, referring you to a much better product.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:39:43 pm by Dave1 »

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 08:57:28 pm
The one in the video seems like a hassle. It seems like it would be great for pre lubing cables before installation but that would be about all I would use it for. I will wrap a rag around my cheesy clamp type luber and use a little compressed air to push the lubricant down the entire cable. Fast and efficient! And how much lubricant do you really waste. I have been using the same can of lubricant (6 oz. size) since 2005 on my Bullet and Kawasaki and still have plenty left for who knows how many more years.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 09:21:08 pm
With all the hassles you guys have with this modern hi-tech stuff, I'll stick with my little manual Dri Slide tube. The only time stuff runs out on it is when I gets to the other end. A rag or paper towel to catch it is more than enough.
bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 10:17:54 pm
Yeah and don't get crazy if u r lubing the speedometer cable..Just a few drops or you'll have the potential for feedback into the unit and screw up your faceplate...Might be better to do that from the other end and hang it high overnight..  ;)
Oh Magoo you done it again

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 10:21:01 pm
This is the one I am referring to.

I have one of those.  Even after slitting the closed end it's a bit messy and I had to use a rag.
If you can let the bike sit a while, then try the balloon/baggie method of putting your oil in the baggie, putting the end of the cable in the baggie, use a rubber band to seal it, and let it hang on a string from the rafters.  If not, I've been doing what Bare does.  Neither muss nor fuss, no spray all over, no soaked rags, just a lubed cable.  And you don't have to wait for oil to come out on the engine side.  Get a good amount in and it will work it's way down via gravity and repetitive use.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 10:25:15 pm
Yeah and don't get crazy if u r lubing the speedometer cable..Just a few drops or you'll have the potential for feedback into the unit and screw up your faceplate...Might be better to do that from the other end and hang it high overnight..  ;)

Get a tube or can of Lubriplate Instrument Grease for the Speedometer Cable.  A real light coat doesn't migrate when it's hot and stays soft down to subzero temps that aren't seen outside of Antarctica. Aero or 130A is good.
http://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Multi-Purpose-Greases.aspx
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:32:53 pm by D the D »
1975 XLCH

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 11:45:44 pm
+1 a little light grease does wonders. I use white lithium grease, but any light grease is good.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 04:04:52 am
+1 a little light grease does wonders. I use white lithium grease, but any light grease is good.
Bare

I agree, any light grease that doesn't get hard or wax up and repels water.
The Lubriplate Aero is a very light white lithium grease and the 130A is a NLGI 1.5 Calcium grease.  I like them because of the little paint cans though people prefer squeeze tubes of grease for convenience.  I also use 130A on my Garands and M14 clone.  It's what came in the little grease pots that fit in the buttstock holes.  130A and Aero are good for car window channels and door latches too.
1975 XLCH

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 03:12:50 am
I've just been using a little bag sticky taped around the top of the sheath, with a little light machine oil. It seems to work fine,as long as gravity is in the right place. What is the advantage of this gadget of which you speak?
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 06:18:11 am
What is the advantage of this gadget of which you speak?

It is supposed to encase the cable end and sheath in rubber so that you can poke an aerosol spray can tube into a tiny hole and pray/force lube down the length of the cable.  It mainly gets soaking wet with lube and becomes a dripping mess. It's purpose is to make the manufacturer some money.
1975 XLCH

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 07:16:08 am
You made me laugh heh heh. I guess the manufacturer won't be getting a lot of repeat business then.!
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 12:19:00 pm
You made me laugh heh heh. I guess the manufacturer won't be getting a lot of repeat business then.!

I think you'll find that's where you're wrong!  The cable lube manufacturers make them...  ;)