Author Topic: cable lubrication  (Read 8512 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: September 21, 2013, 12:39:17 pm
Ok, I know that this is MM101, but would some of you experienced guys tell me how you lube your clutch and throttle cables?

I have a can of cable lube that came with a little straw for application.  The straw doesn't fit in between the cable and the housing, so I end up spraying lots of lube everywhere else but into the housing.  I can wrap the whole works with a rag to keep the mess down, but then I just end up with a saturated rag.

I bought one of those cable lube devices, with a hole for the straw, that clamps onto the end of the cable, but the top end of the clutch cable has a large "sideways" barrel-end which doesn't fit into the device, and I have similar trouble getting to the handle bar ends of the throttle cables.  So I'm left making a big mess and not doing a very good lube job.

Any advice or tricks I should know?

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 01:04:21 pm
Loosen the cable and remove it, then you can do it. When you spray it in go easy, it still goes all over on the ones I've tried. I'm not sure I'm that experienced though.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 01:41:40 pm
+1  Remove the cable from the bike, hold a rag around the end of the cable housing and slowly squirt the oil into the housing.  Make sure that you are grabbing the cable end and sliding the cable up and down in the housing to make sure the oil is getting worked all the way thru.

Otherwise, this is the easy way.  People seem to really like them.  I've never used 1.
http://www.bikebandit.com/motion-pro-cable-luber

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 03:17:54 pm
I have removed the cable and housing ends from the levers.

Scottie, this is just the style of cable luber I'm talking about - the upper end of the clutch cable doesn't fit.  The lower end is small enough, but gravity won't be my friend unless I completely remove the cable - or turn the bike upside down!

The clutch cable is easy to remove, but not the throttle cables.  This requires removing the tank...

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 07:07:46 pm
Scottie, this is just the style of cable luber I'm talking about - the upper end of the clutch cable doesn't fit.  The lower end is small enough, but gravity won't be my friend unless I completely remove the cable - or turn the bike upside down!

The clutch cable is easy to remove, but not the throttle cables.  This requires removing the tank...

Lube the throttle cable from the right hand switch assembly through the hole on its floor. This is just my way of lubing them, without removing throttle cables from bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2OQ3Do65Es

Other tips -  Cut the tip of straw at an angle to bevel so that it can go in.

If all fails, buy a syringe and a needle from a pharmacy, fill it with lube of your choice and use the needle to feed through ferrule of cable.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:18:14 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 07:16:48 pm
I use DriSlide that coms with a very small metal tube attached that will fit in the small space of the cable and housing. IT is not a spray can, the liquid just flows through the tube to the other end. The lube is molyD powder that is carried through with a thin carrier that dries in short order. It works extremely well and lasts a long time. Bicycle shops carry it and it's available on Ebay. Motorcycle shops used to carry it, but I guess doesn't have enough buttons and hi tech connections on it to sell and confound the modern buying public.
Don't forget to grease the cable ends with a bit of light grease.
+1 on the non removal of the throttle cables and tank. The DriSlide probe easily reaches down into the throttle cable housings
Bare

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:20:56 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 07:23:53 pm
I use DriSlide...

The "Bike-Aid" or the "Multipurpose"?  The website says the multipurpose has graphite with rust and corrosion inhibitors...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 07:41:23 pm
The "Bike-Aid" or the "Multipurpose"?  The website says the multipurpose has graphite with rust and corrosion inhibitors...

I've got Bike-Aid and it says "Resists rust, dirt, and water"
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 12:34:19 am
For the clutch cable I have the metal clamp with the rubber inside it that sort of seals the clutch cable so the can can blow the oil thru its tube into it.

My method for doing the clutch on my UCE is as follows:
1. Using a large adjustable wrench adjusted to fit the clutch lever on the left side side cover I turn the lever counter clockwise.  This allows me to slide the end of the cable out of the sheet metal clip.

At the left hand grip I pull the cable away from the grip housing.  This disengages the metal end from the housing allowing it to drop down.  Rotating the cable towards the front of the bike will turn the cable and its retaining cross pin so that both can be pulled out of the bottom of the lever.  There is a thin plastic piece covering part of this pin and it needs to be in the assembly so don't lose it.

With the cable free it is easy to pull the inner cable out far enough so the cross pin is sticking out one end of the metal oiler attachment and the outer sheath is just starting to enter the attachments split rubber sleeve.
With everything set up this way, I screw down the two thumb screws to tighten the rubber around the cable. 
Then its pretty easy to just stick the can's tube into the hole and push the button.

My oiler leaks a lot when I do this so I cover the whole thing with an old rag.
While squirting the oil in, it also helps to push the rubber bellows at the lower end of the clutch cable off of the threaded rod.  That allows the oil/propellent to blow thru the cable freely.

See Singhg5's video for the throttle cable. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 08:14:36 pm
I use the cable lube tool. As Arizoni states it doesn't seal that well but they have a new tool that has two clamps instead of the single clamp model I have. I install the tool, clamp it down best I can then wrap a rag around the tool to help seal it better while I shoot in the lubricant. After I get as much lube in the cable as I can I then blast some compressed air into the hole on the tool to force the lubricant to the end of the cable. I find this works best to completely lubricate the cable from one end to the other.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 08:25:34 pm
Thanks guys!

I'm away from home; I don't have my luber in front of me.  The handle-bar end of the clutch cable has a big barrel end that will not fit into my luber, I do remember that.  But now that you mention it, the metal part is open at both ends, isn't it?  The black rubber insert is open at one end and closed at the other -  I suppose I can slit the closed end so that I can have the ball end sticking out the back side...  I'll have to have a closer look again!

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 08:53:04 pm
The barrel ferule sticks out the end of the tool. It then is tightened and the inner stepped rubber clamps around the outer cable sheathing and the cable itself. The clamping mechanism doesn't clamp that well that is why I use a rag. The tip of the wand on the lubricant then is inserted into the side of the tool through an o-ring.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 09:44:47 pm
There is no way for the barrel ferrule to stick out the end of the version of the tool that I have.  One end is the stepped open end for the housing, the other end is solid, closed rubber...

But not for long...  ;)

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 10:34:22 pm
That cable luber in the link above don't get great reviews and never will fully seal. You will always get some blowback out of the wrong end. They get a mixed bag of reviews online. Some people love um, some hate them.

If you want a cable oiler that has no mess. Get the old British design. A Doherty hydralic cable oiler....Video of how to use one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8l-AzJ4j7Q

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 01:47:18 am
This is the one I am referring to.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd