Author Topic: UCE Throttle Body, ECU and Programmer  (Read 11612 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 21, 2013, 02:07:50 am
Hey everyone!  Getting ready to take on my next project!  It looks like I very well may be picking up a '59 RE Chief, I just need to tie up the loose ends and make it happen.  As some of you know I am out to build a high HP vintage drag bike.  Most of you think I'm insane, but I'm all about having fun, going fast and building 1 of a kind rides.  My plans for this build are to build a bad ass, super fast RE twin that hasn't been done before.  I'M GOING TURBO!!!    ;D

The hardest part of making this work is going to be installing fuel injection.  My thoughts are to take an ECU and TB off of an wrecked UCE Bullet.  Not only should I be able to bolt it right up, but I'd be able to keep it Enfield.  Next concern.  Tuning.  I have to be able to have an ECU that I can interface with a laptop or programmer to create custom fuel maps.  Boosting the motor I will need to be running about 20% richer than a NA motor, I need to be able to control that.  Everything else should be cake work.

Ace, GHG, Scooter Bob and you other horse power junkies:
What are you're thoughts on availability of programming the RE ECU?  Do you know of any other donor options for a TB and ECU that are programmable or more performance oriented?  Or do you know of a carb that will handle boost without pushing the fuel out of the bowl?  Thanks!

Scottie
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:11:15 am by Scottie J »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 03:29:25 am
   Quoooool Scottie !! Wait....  Hold on.... Is this the SAME guy who didn't want to know nuffin' about EFI when I posted up that link ?!?  LOL !  ;)  Sounds like a awesome project !  Ummmmmmm........ Let me think. 

The UCE ECU is for a single. AND it's not programmable. And you can't interface with it directly... you would need a piggy back controller.  And as much as I've looked into it, no one has hacked into or flashed the Keihin ECU ... For bikes, anyway.  So that is out I would think.  You could look into getting a stand alone ECU system.... like a Megga squirt? ...... BUT that's a lot of work, programming and tuning, and getting the sensors to adapt to your bike....... Ummmmmmm.  Another donor system perhaps ?     Ummmmm....... Dare I say it ?  A couple of throttle bodies off of a Bonneville, It's ECU and sensors. With a PC-V to control it all..... Maybe ?  Just a thought now..... might be a lot easier then starting from scratch with a stand alone ? .... Then again it might not?   Either way, it's ambitious going to EFI. But it WOULD be cool !   You gonna need access to a Dyno.........
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 03:39:37 am
Yes, it is me, Mr Anti-EFI.   LOL   Hey, I'm feeling ambitious and unless I can find a carb that can handle boost I'm forced to use FI.

I was just thinking a little while about how the new Bonnevilles are TB now.  I'll get in contact with my local triumph guy and see what he knows about those systems.  Wh FI.at is this mega squirt you speak of?

Scottie

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 03:58:30 am
  http://www.diyautotune.com/      It WILL be a lot of work, money and time to go this route.... just sayin'.

The New Bonnies are using Keihin systems as well.... So it's not like your are really cheatin' on Enfield  ::)    And I'm not sure about the throttle body size they are using ?  But I think when they had carbs, they were 36mm ?  Try checking around on their RAT net forum.  Hell..... even a Sportster !   Should be a dime a dozen for their stuff....and a Kazzion MAPs to go along with it !

Also.....   http://www.ecotrons.com/Small_Engine_EFI_PNP_kit.html  This guy seemed pretty sharp. He seemed very interested in doing something with an Enfield..... Interesting system.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:10:10 am by gashousegorilla »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 01:57:07 pm
I think that ecotrons system for the 400cc-800cc just might be exactly what I'm looking for!  Obviously I'm still in the middle of researching all of this and it's going to a couple/few years before it's complete, but my goal is to build one of the most unique vintage British bikes with a kick ass track time.  This should be a fun adventure!

Scottie

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 03:57:39 pm
  Should be a fun and an interesting build...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 06:35:53 pm
I would think the throttle off the Bullet would be too small. You probably need something in the 32mm range if you're using two or 35mm+ with one.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 07:01:52 pm
This is my long term plan too - I would like to retrofit fuel injection to my iron barrel - I am looking at two systems - the Megasquirt controller and the FreeEMS. Both can have custom logic code rather than simple static maps. They work with standard sensors, pumps and injectors. Definitely not a weekend job, but someday!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 07:24:29 pm
The thing I like about the Ecotron system is that it comes with the software and laptop interface cable that I will be able to hook up my laptop right to it and do my own custom fuel maps.  HUGE plus!  They also have different size TBs and injectors depending on your needs.

Scottie

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 07:34:27 pm
The thing I like about the Ecotron system is that it comes with the software and laptop interface cable that I will be able to hook up my laptop right to it and do my own custom fuel maps.  HUGE plus!  They also have different size TBs and injectors depending on your needs.

Scottie

Yeah, it seems like a pretty cool system.  I Emailed the guy , Back and forth a few times.  The hardest part is going to be creating the base map....That your going to need a Dyno for. Or pull your hair out trying to do it without one.  Then his auto-tune feature should be easier to use. Also adapting his TB's to the bike will be tricky... and I'm sure he can recommend which injector to go with.

Also , the guy is in the Detroit area.........

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 07:58:48 pm
We are working with a custom programmable ECU for our UCE build, and it will plug into the UCE harness and use all the UCE sensors and injectors and stuff.
So, it might be adaptable for a twin, but we need to get some time on it to see.
Maybe we could use two of them, and set the timing differently on each cylinder.
One throttle body and injector on each cylinder, and a shared plenum from the blower.

When we get to the programming part of our UCE project, I'll let you know what we think.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 08:28:08 pm
......... Do you know of any other donor options for a TB and ECU that are programmable or more performance oriented? ........

www.microsquirt.com

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 08:32:32 pm

www.microsquirt.com

Right.
Microsquirt is an open-source DIY EFI system that is well supported.
Well worth looking into.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 09:25:35 pm
Hooking up an aftermarket TB to my bike will not be a problem.  Alex (my coworker, friend, engine guy, Subaru Turbo Guru) and I are both talented custom fabricators.  He's very good with aluminum TIG and I can cut, bend, hammer and weld steel all day long.  I guess what really grabs my attention with the ecotron set up is that it is EVERYTHING you need except plumbing for $700!  I'll probably get the motor running without the turbo first with the auto tune feature to get a good baseline.  Then install the turbo and map the ECU by crunching numbers according to the original baseline.  Holy shit I'm excited!

Scottie

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 10:42:11 pm
I'm excited too.
Please continue to share the experience with us !!!!

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5