Author Topic: rockwool in loud muffler.  (Read 2440 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 20, 2013, 06:58:21 am
well the rock wool inside the megaphone is amazing. nice sound too and only about as loud as the stock. has gotten a bit louder after driving about 100 kms. Its amazing how well these bikes run when you ditch that stock muffler. what a pile of crap it is.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 07:57:25 am
should throw up a sound clip

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 08:25:58 am
I will after I put the angled pipe and heat wrap on the ugly bits. Tomorrow!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 01:16:47 pm
Sweet! Glad it worked for you!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

majbjd

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 08:02:30 am
Rockwool will pack down and blow out over time. There is a product called Acousta-Fil, available on the UK ebay, that works great. I used it to repack some Harley Screaming Eagle mufflers. I have a sound meter and before repack they hit 117dba at full throttle. After repack they were 106dba. On the dba scale a 10 point change is a change of half the sound. So 110db is not 10% louder than 100 it is twice as loud. The stuff comes in a sheet so you can wrap it around a baffle. It expands with heat and fills the empty space inside the muffle. A sheet is enough to do 4 or 5 mufflers and cost about $20 US. The ebay ad says they ship worldwide. When I got it a year ago I was the first person in the US to order any and it took some doing to get it shipped.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 05:00:55 pm
That Acoust-Fil looks like nice stuff, definitely keeping a note on that for future use.  AND it's actually designed for mufflers.  With all the decent, cheap muffler packing available out there I don't get why people keep trying to use other stuff.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 05:12:55 pm
Does anyone have any pics of the packing job they might have done in one of these EFI silencers?  Directives about simply poking holes in baffle screens and wrapping removable baffles is fine, but I'm a visual kind of guy...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 05:14:50 pm
Not the RE EFI, but they're all pretty similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNxKO18I-3I

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 11:47:16 pm
I have always used coarse stainless steel wool, like you see in the kitchen for scrubbing pots.
The purpose is to scatter and break up the sound waves, and to help cool the exhaust gases to take the energy out of it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:28:08 am
I'm gonna try the steel wool as mas said the Rockwool blows out and it doesn't take to long for this to happen.
I'm gonna do this tomorrow and I'm gonna use the Rockwool and steel wool. I'll post some pix and a sound clip.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 07:52:04 pm
Hi Sectorsteve, Let me add to the steel wool comment, Stainless Steel Scrubbies are available from hdw. & big box type stores (WalMart here). They are basically VERY coarse Steel Wool Doughnuts That are wired together in the middle. After clipping the middle tie, they can be rolled over your perforated muffler core. you could make such a core using expanded steel plaster Lath.  I have done this in the past on older Brit bikes & It lasts a long time.
  My present G5 Deluxe is using a 60's British Cocktail Shaker Reverse Megaphone with a drilled flat disc shower drain type baffle. It barks on acceleration, but is quiet enough loafing along  -  I like It.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 08:00:55 pm
Hi Sectorsteve, Let me add to the steel wool comment, Stainless Steel Scrubbies are available from hdw. & big box type stores (WalMart here). They are basically VERY coarse Steel Wool Doughnuts That are wired together in the middle. After clipping the middle tie, they can be rolled over your perforated muffler core. you could make such a core using expanded steel plaster Lath.  I have done this in the past on older Brit bikes & It lasts a long time.
  My present G5 Deluxe is using a 60's British Cocktail Shaker Reverse Megaphone with a drilled flat disc shower drain type baffle. It barks on acceleration, but is quiet enough loafing along  -  I like It.

Yes Craig, that's exactly what I have used. The pot "scrubbies" for the kitchen in stainless steel. That's what I was trying to describe by "coarse steel wool". You described it much better.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 11:42:29 pm
Stainless steel wool scrubbies  = good.
Carbon steel, steel wool = bad.

With a small propane torch you can easily set a carbon steel, steel wool pad on fire.
If the heat from the exhaust doesn't burn it out, it will rapidly corrode into rusty bits and pieces.  Stainless steel won't do this.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary