Author Topic: The Great Ocean Road, Victoria , Australia  (Read 3323 times)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
on: September 16, 2013, 11:41:24 am
  Had to show you guys what you're missing. If you head south from Melbourne through Geelong and keep going to the coast you find what's called the great ocean rd

It was made by ex diggers after WW1 -as I understand it there weren't enough jobs to around so the govt funded this labor intensive project  The road runs for about 90 odd klicks , sometimes along beachfront but mostly winding its way along cliffs that form most of the coastline       

It's a fantastic ride and when you get tired of the sweeping turns and magnificent views..
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:12:27 pm
You can take a back rd up into the Otways national park Definitly Enfield country
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 12:19:53 pm
I just joined the 21st century and scored an iPhone - it's the first time I've posted pictures hope they look ok It really is a beautiful road. I covered about 400 k , 70 odd on the dirt and and the bike ran perfectly . Love it!

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:23:43 pm
A couple more

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 12:51:26 pm
Beautiful Pics!  Looks like you had a great ride.  Thanks for sharing!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 12:34:30 am
Awesome - thanks!

Tell me about that tail light?

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 01:01:44 am
Looks great.  Reminds me of highway 1 along the west coast of America.  Noted as one of the best MC roads in the USA. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 03:55:56 am
Here's a closer look for you mattz - when I first got the bike in my ignorance I thought the taillight was to boxlike and something roundish was needed.sp
So I  went to the Brit parts guy (modak  motorcycle  stores) in Melbourne And asked what they had, and came put with what you see.  I think it rightfully belongs on a matchless or ajs .what do ye think?
And yes that is gaffs tape holdin
g on the  trafficator -I found it busted one night eating out-glued it up a couple of times but it still gets loose.  Cheers D

TomMcC

• Neophyte
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 07:23:18 am
Hi
I just rode my Enfield east from Melbourne, Lakes Entrance-Cann River to Cooma ( and all the way to the Gold Coast)
The Lakes Entrance  to Cooma section was worth the whole ride. You have some amazing roads down there in Vic.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 03:53:26 pm
Beautiful!  It does remind of the Pacific Coast Highway between Malibu and Pt Mugu.  Thanks for showing it.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 04:26:44 pm
Those a beautiful shots; I'm jealous.  Thanks for sharing.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 07:16:48 am
The Great Ocean is a great drive, would be an epic ride ;)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.