Author Topic: Two Questions - Kicker Pedal & Tail Light  (Read 4120 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: September 14, 2013, 10:59:47 pm
    Question One: Is the folding UCE kicker pedal a direct replacement for an '08 AVL 5-speed kicker pedal?

and

Question Two: When you pull the big huge ugly stock tail light "thing" off to put an aftermarket on, are there marks left on the fender you can't get rid of? A little OCD maybe, but it matters (no, it won't be a tombstone or a beehive).   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:14:32 am
    Question One: Is the folding UCE kicker pedal a direct replacement for an '08 AVL 5-speed kicker pedal?

Yes it has been done but e few forum brothers. Try a thread search for the specifics of who and when.

Question Two: When you pull the big huge ugly stock tail light "thing" off to put an aftermarket on, are there marks left on the fender you can't get rid of? A little OCD maybe, but it matters (no, it won't be a tombstone or a beehive).

If the tail lamp thing was less than tight it could make rub marks in the paint.
Light marks and crud should clean up with a bit of elbow grease and a smidgeon of fine rubbing compound.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:25:46 am
Yes it has been done but e few forum brothers. Try a thread search for the specifics of who and when.

If the tail lamp thing was less than tight it could make rub marks in the paint.
Light marks and crud should clean up with a bit of elbow grease and a smidgeon of fine rubbing compound.

Thanks. I really like the look of the UCE kicker.

I'm also really liking the look of the upswept muffler & pipe in the pictures I see of the C5. Oh, Lord, why can't I just leave it alone?  ;D
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 12:39:37 am
For the same REasons as the rest of us ? Because we want to and because we can ?

Quoting brother Scooterbob ( underline and italics mine )

"I prefer to think of the RE as the ANTI-NICHE market bike. It's NOT a cruiser (niche) or a sport bike (niche) or an adventure touring bike (niche) or a touring bike (niche) or some wanna-be repop nostalgia-alike retro ride (NICHE!) - the RE is just a motorcycle! A blank slate, if you will, that can appeal to many people - not just a "certain" group. Think about it ....."

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 12:55:00 am
For the same REasons as the rest of us ? Because we want to and because we can ?

Quoting brother Scooterbob ( underline and italics mine )

"I prefer to think of the RE as the ANTI-NICHE market bike. It's NOT a cruiser (niche) or a sport bike (niche) or an adventure touring bike (niche) or a touring bike (niche) or some wanna-be repop nostalgia-alike retro ride (NICHE!) - the RE is just a motorcycle! A blank slate, if you will, that can appeal to many people - not just a "certain" group. Think about it ....."

That's so true & now I wonder why I even asked that question. I've Never been able to buy a bike from a dealer 'cause they're just not what I want. That's why I've built my last three myself & now this RE is in my garage & I've got yet aNUTHER one I can't leave alone.

The search function has again proven itself almost useless when it comes to kicker pedals. It recommended that I should change UCE to ICE & AVL to VAL wo watteryagunnadoo?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:18:23 am by Ice »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 02:27:19 am
I installed the UCE "kicker" on my AVL. I didn't like it. The  old stock kicker keeps my foot from touching the hot bazooka.
You might be different.
Before you purchase the UCE kicker,...remove the stock kicker ( might have to use the E-start), ride around the block to see if your foot needs the room or will touch the exhaust.
 I am currently using the stock kicker.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 03:40:31 pm

Back in the middle of September I asked the above question. A couple weeks later I had one in my hot little hands & put it on.

I got used to the look pretty quickly. It's the same kicker first seen on the '77 FX harleys (to clear the two into one exhaust on the 80 inch) & I kicked one for 17 years on my 1980 FXS.

It was strange to begin with on the Enfield because I was so used to the straight kicker. The angles were all different especially when straddling the bike. My foot slipped a few times & my hands hurt like hell holding myself up on the bars.

I soon found out it was way easier to stand on the side & kick with right leg (like my harley) than it was with the original straight lever. Anyhoo - it didn't take long & I was totally used to it. You also get more degrees of kick & I get a one-kick start every single time. I used to get a kickback one out of 10 before & I HATE kickbacks.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 03:51:18 pm
Another reason I like it is because my right boot never hits the side case any more, as the picture plainly shows. With the straight lever I would hit it once in a while & had to polish out the scratches & heel marks with fine rubbing compound. I HATE scratches - can't help it.

I never feel this lever while riding & I never forget to turn the peg in like with the other one.

This lever also doesn't scrape my leg while I'm pulling/pushing the bike backwards like the straight one did.

All in all, after some getting used to, I like it & I'll keep it on. Anybody need a straight kicker?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:53:42 pm by tooseevee »

Lane

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 03:37:05 am
Just to chime in, like that kicker too.  My big foot had very little room with the original.  Here's a couple views...

Lane

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 03:41:30 am
Another view from back and side...

Lane

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 04:00:20 am
One more just for fun, camping in the Black Hills National forest...

ps: Finally got rid of the skidmasters, the Dunlops did well on the off-road surfaces.  Gave me more confidence overall.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 04:53:51 am
Looking good gents!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 11:31:06 pm
The Dunlops should give you more confidence everywhere!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com